Aquila KIDS Ukulele Strings: Helping Others to Get Them

UkeStuff

Reaction score
I wanted to post about the new(er) Aquila KIDS ukulele strings. I put them on all of our school instruments (102 of them) and we used them this year. They are colored (Green, Red, Yellow, Blue) for instructional use. They are basically colored Super Nylgut strings.

From an instructional standpoint, teaching up to 60 students at a time, they are wonderful. The removal of the aspect of string number simplifies the process (they can still learn it over time).

I did have some breakage of strings...particularly on G and A. Every case of breakage was ukulele abuse (tightening tuning knobs to the point of breakage) and not wear. Simply put, when you teach over 350 students ukulele, and a number of them don't want to be there, some students will make the unfortunate choice to break strings (or tuners!). I won't say any more about that...

Furthermore, I have been conversing with the creator of Chordette to make a font set that features colored strings. Keep your eyes out for this tool (Mac only at the moment). Also look for some other education offerings by ukefarm.com

You can buy single sets or sets of 20 (for schools). The single sets are very expensive--but for every single set sold, a set is donated to places like Ukulele Kids Club. The classroom sets are quite affordable...the last pack ended up being $2.50 per set of 4 strings after shipping was factored in.

I wanted to follow up on the purchasing process. Originally to order school sets, Aquila asked me to contact the US distributor for Aquila strings, who asked me to order through my local store.

That process has changed from school sets. They are asking schools to order directly from Aquila...where they will bill you and ask for payment via Paypal. Shipping was incredibly fast.

Simply put, if you have a set of school ukuleles, and you need strings, you probably won't find a cheaper replacement option and better tool for starters than KIDS strings--I highly recommend them. I don't even think you can buy bulk fishing line for much less.

My personal string choice is for those made of fluorocarbon--but that is not the purpose of these strings. Customer service from Aquila has been outstanding, too. They also look great on the new Black Concert Waterman Ukulele.

IMG_4403.jpg

Good deal all around. Thanks for the post.

Aquila (Mimmo) is a valued member here too. Super cool and thanks for sharing. I would think the bright colors are something that kids would like, and definitely would make it easier to teach. Heck, when someone says 4th string, I think we have to think "is that the G string of the A string that they're referring to?"

n00b question of the day: what's the difference (if there is one) between "Kid's" strings and "Aurora" strings?

Two different companies. I think Auroras come in many colors or a mixed set (online, looks like Green, Red, Yellow and Purple)...KIDS are made by Aquila, and have specific colors designated for specific strings for instructional purposes. Also, in sets of 20, KIDS are much cheaper (intended for schools, of course).

The Aurora site states:

"We are the original wire company, and we are the only string company that manufactures our product 100% in the U.S.A."

Not if Aquila is making them! :)

Top Bottom