Going to Strummin' Man Ukulele Festival

Osprey

Reaction score
I am going to my first Uke Fest this coming October. I am excited and can't wait for a whole weekend of ukes and Uke people.

I have two unrelated questions:
First is anyone else coming? I would enjoy meeting people who I know only by their post on this forum. It's Oct 13-15 in Panama City, FL.

Second, I am primarily a Baritone player these days, I only occasionally pick up my Tenor Ukuleles, will that handicap me during the workshops?
I can do some work on the tenors and get those chops back.

I won't be there. It is a little far for me. First of all, I've been to two different kinds of ukulele festivals. Five or six in total, I would guess. In my experience some of them have workshops, a headliner that teaches the workshops, and then a concert on the last night by the headliner. Those workshops have been pretty much basic workshops for re-entrant C tuned ukuleles. Some baritone players seem to be able to adapt, others get lost. I don't play baritone, but I've heard the baritone players complain about it. Who is doing the workshops? You might contact them and ask.

I won't be there. It is a little far for me. First of all, I've been to two different kinds of ukulele festivals. Five or six in total, I would guess. In my experience some of them have workshops, a headliner that teaches the workshops, and then a concert on the last night by the headliner. Those workshops have been pretty much basic workshops for re-entrant C tuned ukuleles. Some baritone players seem to be able to adapt, others get lost. I don't play baritone, but I've heard the baritone players complain about it. Who is doing the workshops? You might contact them and ask.
Craig Chee, Sarah Maisel, Lil Rev, Taimane and Rachel Manke will be there.

I didn't know anything such thing existed around here. Thanks for the tip Osprey! Post a link. I just might go myself.

I can tell you this much - October is my favorite time to go to the Florida Gulf Coast. The weather is perfect, the crowds are down and the water's still warm. Jellyfish are a little thick that time of year; take some MSG if you get stung.

As for the tuning problem, a capo is your friend. Even if you don't generally like them, it will get you through the workshops just fine.

Last edited:
Craig Chee, Sarah Maisel, Lil Rev, Taimane and Rachel Manke will be there.
I've attended some Lil Rev workshops. The ones that I went to were pretty basic. A so called Jamming with Lil Rev workshop where we played some two chord C and G7 songs. It was sort of a "look what you can play with just two chords." A strumming workshop that was pretty good. I took a lot away from that one. That one would not favor one or the other, I wouldn't think. I can't remember what else. Sorry, I've not attended any workshops put on by the others. I've attended some DeVille playing by ear workshops and some Brook Adams. But I would think that you could find out what the workshops were and decide if they are something that you think that you could do on your baritone. Take both with you, then you have it all covered. Like I said, the ones that I've gone to were pretty basic. It didn't take a lot to keep up.

I didn't know anything such thing existed around here. Thanks for the tip Osprey! Post a link. I just might go myself.

I can tell you this much - October is my favorite time to go to the Florida Gulf Coast. The weather is perfect, the crowds are down and the water's still warm. Jellyfish are a little thick that time of year; take some MSG if you get stung.

As for the tuning problem, a capo is your friend. Even if you don't generally like them, it will get you through the workshops just fine.

The link to the festival is. https://www.standrewsukes.org/strum

Hope you can make it, Dirk. Would love to meet you

Cliff

Top Bottom