PDA

View Full Version : Advice for buskers?

JoeMikkPaulTopper11
04-29-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm trying out busking to earn money for me/my band and i was wondering if anybody has any advice

Link
04-29-2009, 02:16 PM
I've heard to put a few bucks in your jar to make it look like folks have already given ya money. Not too sure why.. lol.

hoosierhiver
04-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Don't worry about doing alot of different songs, most people will only hang around a short time.

JoeMikkPaulTopper11
04-29-2009, 02:39 PM
that does kinda make sense. (to put the money in the hat)

thanks.

josuegroundhog
04-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Dominicfoundthemooon put up a very educational video on busking last night... He made 6 bucks in 35 minutes... and he probably spent as much time fiddling with his computer as he did actually singing and playing!

Ukuleleblues
04-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Money in the Jar/Hat/Case, Smile ALOT, Don't hesitate to stop a song to talk to a "Potential Patron", be nice to kids and dogs, don't use the F-word unless they use it first. Ask them where they are from (cause if they stopped to talk they are either visiting or nuts....just kidding). Have fun, it's contagiou$

ukudele
04-29-2009, 05:29 PM
skin... lots of it. hehehe.

swervy jervy
04-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Splash lighter fluid on a hula hoop, torch it up and stand in the middle for the big Ring of Fire finale. You're selling the sizzle.

tryan
04-30-2009, 03:18 AM
Splash lighter fluid on a hula hoop, torch it up and stand in the middle for the big Ring of Fire finale. You're selling the sizzle.

hell yeah. i'd throw a couple of bucks in for that!

rclifford13
04-30-2009, 03:54 AM
keep emptying your hat/case/whatever you use to hold money constantly, leaving a small amount in there, looking like that's all you have earned all day. works a charm..

Lanark
04-30-2009, 04:37 AM
Is there some site that's got a good listing of regulations and such by city or state? I know that some cities require licenses and such, but I'm having a hard time finding info about Minneapolis' regulations and requirements.

I'd love to do a bit of busking and spreading the uke, but I'm not interested in things getting all arrest-y on me. I'd like to know the lay of the land before I hit the streets.

JoeMikkPaulTopper11
04-30-2009, 12:43 PM
I'll try for that XP

Oh also

to Lanark I don't know about minneapolis but if you happen to be in Seattle then there's only two specific places that you have to get permits

bbycrts
04-30-2009, 06:31 PM
I'm trying out busking to earn money for me/my band and i was wondering if anybody has any advice

Everybody needs more cowbell.

JoeMikkPaulTopper11
05-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Everybody needs more cowbell.

i've got a fever and the only cure is more cowbell!
lol

Captain Google
05-01-2009, 06:20 PM
i've got a fever and the only cure is more cowbell!
lol

I have nothing to add to the conversation, but I must point out that the word is not "cure". It's "prescription".:wallbash:

UkuLeLesReggAe
05-01-2009, 06:45 PM
Don't worry about doing alot of different songs, most people will only hang around a short time.

great advice. never thought of that one.

smgold101
05-01-2009, 08:18 PM
I've heard to put a few bucks in your jar to make it look like folks have already given ya money. Not too sure why.. lol.

keep emptying your hat/case/whatever you use to hold money constantly, leaving a small amount in there, looking like that's all you have earned all day. works a charm..

So put money in then take it out? lol

MattHaaaaa
05-01-2009, 11:08 PM
id like to go busking but where i live you have to get a license and that sucks

xbendystevex
05-01-2009, 11:33 PM
Where I live there's a couple of spots that have regular buskers, so make sure you aren't stealing someone's spot, especially if they play there all the time. You don't want to get shanked or anything :D

beeejums
05-02-2009, 03:48 AM
Depending on where you live, make sure you use something relatively deep/narrow (a coffee cup, a mason jar, etc) to collect the money so it's not too easy for people to cruise on by and grab a handful... I've seen it happen.

JKoval
05-02-2009, 04:41 AM
Depending on where you live, make sure you use something relatively deep/narrow (a coffee cup, a mason jar, etc) to collect the money so it's not too easy for people to cruise on by and grab a handful... I've seen it happen.

That's so scummy, my God.

Howlin Hobbit
05-02-2009, 09:56 AM

A long time ago I was busking in the U District in Seattle with a friend named Dave Tobin. I was on guitar, he was on violin.

We had a small but enthusiastic crowd and were rocking on when some little Ave rat walked up, stooped down and tried to grab some cash from the guitar case.

Dave whipped him on the shoulder with his bow. Didn't even miss a beat from his playing. Kid took off so fast his tenny-runners were smoking.

Wayne909
05-02-2009, 12:04 PM

Say thanks when people drop money for you.

Not that I've ever busked, but I've been invited to busk with a successful busker I've watched a lot, and he always thanks people even if he's singing and fiddling at that instant. He is also very engaging, and talks with people as much as he can. I think that kind of busker will be more successful than a much better musician who kinda keeps his eyes to himself and is kinda distant. Act like you are enjoying yourself.

josuegroundhog
05-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Say thanks when people drop money for you.

Not that I've ever busked, but I've been invited to busk with a successful busker I've watched a lot, and he always thanks people even if he's singing and fiddling at that instant. He is also very engaging, and talks with people as much as he can. I think that kind of busker will be more successful than a much better musician who kinda keeps his eyes to himself and is kinda distant. Act like you are enjoying yourself.

Man, that's some fine advice there.

The guy that makes eye contact, smiles, says hello in mid-song, and keeps right on jammin... that's the guy that makes a buck.

I recently met a guy that was busking at the corner of a busy intersection right out on the little strip of the median. (Cloverdale Rd at Rt 460 in Roanoke VA if your handy on Google streetview.)

He was jamming on banjo and had a girl just gently dancing and singing along. When the traffic backed up she just nonchalantly moved towards the cars and the windows came down.

They got run off by the cops for panhandling but he said they made about 35 bucks in 5's plus some 1's in the hour or so they were there. Call it $40 total. That means they were making 20 bucks an hour each. That's better than what I make and I don't get to play music all day.

What I'm saying is combine busking with panhandling for maximum results.

Howlin Hobbit
05-03-2009, 05:16 AM
What I'm saying is combine busking with panhandling for maximum results.

Man. Them's fightin' words. :mad:

Buskers are not panhandlers. Panhandlers offer you nothing. Buskers give you a show and you can donate or not.

The attitude that buskers = panhandlers is why so many know-nothing burgs try to prohibit busking.

Captain Google
05-03-2009, 05:47 AM

Buskers are not panhandlers. Panhandlers offer you nothing. Buskers give you a show and you can donate or not.

The attitude that buskers = panhandlers is why so many know-nothing burgs try to prohibit busking.

He's not saying that they are. His statement wouldn't have made sense if he was.

josuegroundhog
05-03-2009, 06:24 AM

I'm not equating the two.

I'm simply saying that panhandlers can still make a buck in my part of the world where buskers are few and far between. Buskers have something to offer. So....

Busker ≠ Panhandler

Busker + Panhandler skillz = Cash flow

JKoval
05-03-2009, 07:02 AM
I really wanna do this now. Ha... the park I live near always has like a million little children playing per capita and I'm sure they would enjoy some songs... probably wouldn't be profitable but who cares? :)

Lanark
05-03-2009, 08:15 AM
Hobbit-

I'm sure you've posted it somewhere on here where I'm much too lazy to look, but what kind of rig do you use for your busking activities?

Pippin
05-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Is there some site that's got a good listing of regulations and such by city or state? I know that some cities require licenses and such, but I'm having a hard time finding info about Minneapolis' regulations and requirements.

I'd love to do a bit of busking and spreading the uke, but I'm not interested in things getting all arrest-y on me. I'd like to know the lay of the land before I hit the streets.

This is a very good point and many cities require "permits" for busking for two reasons. They want buskers positioned distances from each other that they are not competing for attention. They also provide police protection when they know that you are performing around a particular "beat", so to speak. NYC subway station buskers can make as much as $80 an hour on a good day. There are lots of cities that love buskers in city parks during lunch hour. It is a great way to show that your city has "culture", and lots of business people will become regular listeners if they like what they hear.

Ukuleleblues
05-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Last I check in downtown Charleston SC you had to apply for a license from the Police, had to describe he act and stuff ($6.00). If approved, another fee had to be paid based on estimated yearly income. The lowest fee was $80.00 for est income of up to $2k/yr.

Myala509
05-04-2009, 06:35 AM
Nobody mentained anything about it being dangerous or not. Im not saying you guys are not cool but there are some punk kids out there. I mean(howlin hobbit prolly seen this guy) they killed our freakin tuba man! SOme punk kids beat the crap out of him and he died. I grew up going to mariners games and seahawks games and he was always there!

JKoval
05-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Nobody mentained anything about it being dangerous or not. Im not saying you guys are not cool but there are some punk kids out there. I mean(howlin hobbit prolly seen this guy) they killed our freakin tuba man! SOme punk kids beat the crap out of him and he died. I grew up going to mariners games and seahawks games and he was always there!

I honestly challenge someone to approach me. They can enjoy the box-cutter wound.

cashew
05-04-2009, 09:26 AM
I honestly challenge someone to approach me. They can enjoy the box-cutter wound.
Whoa... a trifle violent? I've heard it said that most people with weapons are the ones more injured than the ones without weapons when it comes to any sort of conflict, mind ya, I'm a non-violent type...Mind ya, I'm not saying don't stand up for yourself, but the best way to avoid conflict is not to be there...

Additionally, if you are going to go out busking, I'd suggest, go in an open public place, in a good neighborhood, with people around... I wouldn't busk in front of an alley in the middle of the projects, ya know?

But, if you see someone looking to make trouble, The best advice I can give you is from a '70's tv show...

As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all.

JKoval
05-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Whoa... a trifle violent? I've heard it said that most people with weapons are the ones more injured than the ones without weapons when it comes to any sort of conflict, mind ya, I'm a non-violent type...Mind ya, I'm not saying don't stand up for yourself, but the best way to avoid conflict is not to be there...

Additionally, if you are going to go out busking, I'd suggest, go in an open public place, in a good neighborhood, with people around... I wouldn't busk in front of an alley in the middle of the projects, ya know?

But, if you see someone looking to make trouble, The best advice I can give you is from a '70's tv show...

As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all.

Oh man, lol that DID sound violent... but no, I'm not a violent person at all! I work at the craft store and it's always in my bag with me... so yeah, I'd play in my county park, and it's really nice, so I really do challenge ANYONE to start trouble there. :P

cashew
05-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Oh man, lol that DID sound violent... but no, I'm not a violent person at all! I work at the craft store and it's always in my bag with me... so yeah, I'd play in my county park, and it's really nice, so I really do challenge ANYONE to start trouble there. :P

Heh, when I read your post an image of a gang of box cutter wielding uke players came into my mind, kinda in an odd west side story mixup...

'When you're a uke you are always a uke, from the tips of your toes to the end of your Fluke..."

Just be careful :)

Howlin Hobbit
05-04-2009, 11:45 AM
I've heard it said that most people with weapons are the ones more injured than the ones without weapons when it comes to any sort of conflict...

That's a vile canard spread by those wishing to keep the sheeple in line.

That being said, two of the best methods of self-defense are taught in High Schools everywhere: Speech and Track. You either talk your way out of it or run like hell.

But if you don't have any choice, having a weapon that you're mentally prepared to use* is a good thing.

I'd still just rather be elsewhere.

As to the busking/panhandling thing. There's enough trouble with people conflating the two without adding fuel to the fire.

* It's that "not mentally prepared" bit that'll get you hurt. If you can't be firm in your resolve, just adjust to being the victim and take your beating.

JoeMikkPaulTopper11
05-04-2009, 02:30 PM
I really wanna do this now. Ha... the park I live near always has like a million little children playing per capita and I'm sure they would enjoy some songs... probably wouldn't be profitable but who cares? :)

just a little add on to this.
I busked this weekend with my friend outside the EMP in seattle cuz we went there and my dad wanted to stay there for a while so we just did it on a street corner where very few people were. key thing is that we got very little money but i really didn't care cuz it's a fun way to earn a few bucks.