Advice for buskers?

Reaction score
I'm trying out busking to earn money for me/my band and i was wondering if anybody has any advice

Dominicfoundthemooon put up a very educational video on busking last night... He made 6 bucks in 35 minutes... and he probably spent as much time fiddling with his computer as he did actually singing and playing!

Money in the Jar/Hat/Case, Smile ALOT, Don't hesitate to stop a song to talk to a "Potential Patron", be nice to kids and dogs, don't use the F-word unless they use it first. Ask them where they are from (cause if they stopped to talk they are either visiting or nuts....just kidding). Have fun, it's contagiou$

Splash lighter fluid on a hula hoop, torch it up and stand in the middle for the big Ring of Fire finale. You're selling the sizzle.

keep emptying your hat/case/whatever you use to hold money constantly, leaving a small amount in there, looking like that's all you have earned all day. works a charm..

Is there some site that's got a good listing of regulations and such by city or state? I know that some cities require licenses and such, but I'm having a hard time finding info about Minneapolis' regulations and requirements.

I'd love to do a bit of busking and spreading the uke, but I'm not interested in things getting all arrest-y on me. I'd like to know the lay of the land before I hit the streets.

i've got a fever and the only cure is more cowbell!
lol

I have nothing to add to the conversation, but I must point out that the word is not "cure". It's "prescription".:wallbash:

Don't worry about doing alot of different songs, most people will only hang around a short time.

great advice. never thought of that one.

I've heard to put a few bucks in your jar to make it look like folks have already given ya money. Not too sure why.. lol.

keep emptying your hat/case/whatever you use to hold money constantly, leaving a small amount in there, looking like that's all you have earned all day. works a charm..

So put money in then take it out? lol

Where I live there's a couple of spots that have regular buskers, so make sure you aren't stealing someone's spot, especially if they play there all the time. You don't want to get shanked or anything :D

Depending on where you live, make sure you use something relatively deep/narrow (a coffee cup, a mason jar, etc) to collect the money so it's not too easy for people to cruise on by and grab a handful... I've seen it happen.

Top Bottom