Radiused Fret board??

intro

Reaction score
It seems that my Pono's radiused fretboard makes finger rolls more difficult than the flat ones. Has anyone else had this experience?

what is finger roll...:) not sure what it is

One size smaller than a 2 finger roll?

:biglaugh:

I was thinking that!

I find a radiused fretboard on a guitar easier to play ... maybe just because I've used one since the '70's ... as to whether I'd notice the benefit on a ukulele ... I've yet to find out for sure, but I suspect some chord shapes might be easier to play cleanly.

YMMV

:music:

I'm not sure that's what it's called. I'm referring to the hi-speed up-down strum used to simulate a sustain. I think I first heard it called that by Jake Shimabukuro. It just seems to be easier to play without the changing deflection caused by the radiused saddle.

If the radius is tight, it could make it a little harder to play finger rolls across the strings because of the curved profile, hopefully your picking fingers will adapt over time and with some practice.

Campbell,
I agree 100%. It will just take some practice to get used to the new profile.

Also, I thought the Pono radius was one of the least radiused uke fretboards. Can someone back me up here?

Campbell,
I agree 100%. It will just take some practice to get used to the new profile.

Also, I thought the Pono radius was one of the least radiused uke fretboards. Can someone back me up here?

You're quite right. It isn't much. It DOES seem like the curvature of the saddle is more than is called for on mine. But the intonation is spot-on and overall I have no complaints. I just wondered if others found fast strum easier minus the radius. I had a rare Enya concert cutaway that had much more. But for some reason rolls were very easy on that one.

Top Bottom