Neck for Cigar Box Soprano

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I've gathered all the components to build a cigar box uke, but I'm hesitating to start cutting the neck. I got a piece of mahogany from Stewart MacDonald. It's about 2" square, so I have a lot of wood to work with. I glued a piece of paper to one side, and I'm going to draw the outline on it before cutting.

If anyone has any suggestions for getting the shape and dimensions right, or where I can find a template, I'd be glad to hear from you. Any other cigar box tips would be appreciated.

Another thought. If you plan to make the CBU acoustic (as opposed to acoustic-electric), you either want to thin down the wood on the box for the top OR use a piece of tonewood thinned down for the top. The wood used in cigar boxes is way too thick to be used for the top without either replacing it or thinning it down considerably.

Here's a soprano neck template set. Print on Legal size ...

Seems Photobucket had its way with the image. Be sure to scale the whole image if required. The fretboard should measure from the nut to the 12th fret 6.8125"

Sporano%20neck_zpsqj6ardu7.jpg

Last edited:
I have a reject neck blank part shaped c/w dovetail end block...if anyone in the UK wants it....just the job for a cigar box uke.

Personally, I don't know anything about them except what it says in the ads, but there are soprano ukulele fretboard (already fretted) and neck packages on eBAY from $15 with free shipping, if you don't mind waiting a couple(?) of weeks for delivery. FWIW, the pre-drilled peg holes are 10mm in diameter, and the sets don't include tuner pegs or a nut.

Top Bottom