WTB Kiwaya concert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziret

Reaction score
I'm most interested in the ktc-2 and ktc-3, but might be able to afford one of the koa models. Not interested in the strummer series.

Thank you!

I have a super-clean Kiwaya ktc-1 that I'm planning to list, in case you're interested.

I have a super-clean Kiwaya ktc-1 that I'm planning to list, in case you're interested.

I'm not sure. It's not high on my list, but you could pm me and let me know the price, etc. Thanks for answering.

No worries- just thought I'd mention it. Good luck with your search!

After taking it down and playing it, I'm having second thoughts about selling it. These are really an exceptional ukuleles, and don't seem to be for sale anywhere currently. If I do decide to sell, I'll list it here on the UU marketplace.
Thanks, and happy hunting!

I love 14 frets to the body, but only if the design is adjusted to keep the saddle in the sweet spot on the sound board. Most 14-fretters place the bridge/saddle up way too high on the lower bout for my money. This is the advantage the KTC-1 has over the KTC-2 2, in my opinion. The saddle on the KTC-1 is smack in the sweet spot, for optimal soundboard drive, resonance & volume. Just my 2 cents!

I love 14 frets to the body, but only if the design is adjusted to keep the saddle in the sweet spot on the sound board. Most 14-fretters place the bridge/saddle up way too high on the lower bout for my money. This is the advantage the KTC-1 has over the KTC-2 2, in my opinion. The saddle on the KTC-1 is smack in the sweet spot, for optimal soundboard drive, resonance & volume. Just my 2 cents!
Thanks Ernie, you just have me thought. I did a bit of research and it seems there are lots of ways the luthier can address that issue. I wish I could play both and see what I think. Have you played both? What did you find? For now, I'm going to trust that Kiwaya knows what they are doing. They certainly know more than I do! I'd love to hear your experience.

I've played both, but not side-by-side, and never with a mind to compare that issue. All the Kiwayas I've played have been nice (I think they're waaaayyy ahead of the pack for modern production ukes), so I agree with you- they definitely know what they're doing.
I'm speaking half from from overall general experience and half from reading various builders' posts over the years.
I think that (all other things being equal), the sweet spot is a real factor in a ukulele's potential sound, but on the other hand, more neck material on the 14-fretter could add resonance... the only way to really assess a ukulele is to have it in hand and strum it! It's kind of fascinating to try to understand all the variables, but as soon as you think you have it all figured out, you come across an instrument that challenges what you thought you knew!

I've played both, but not side-by-side, and never with a mind to compare that issue. All the Kiwayas I've played have been nice (I think they're waaaayyy ahead of the pack for modern production ukes), so I agree with you- they definitely know what they're doing.
I'm speaking half from from overall general experience and half from reading various builders' posts over the years.
I think that (all other things being equal), the sweet spot is a real factor in a ukulele's potential sound, but on the other hand, more neck material on the 14-fretter could add resonance... the only way to really assess a ukulele is to have it in hand and strum it! It's kind of fascinating to try to understand all the variables, but as soon as you think you have it all figured out, you come across an instrument that challenges what you thought you knew!

I agree. The more I learn about ukuleles and playing them, the less I think I know. Every single thing I thought I'd like turned out to be wrong except that I do like mahogany. But other woods, too. I'm glad you like yours!

I recently purchased a KTC-2 and decided it wasn't for me (I guess I'm more of a soprano guy actually). I sold it on ebay to a player out in Arizona; she contacted me and said it was an impulse buy and she had decided to sell it too- it's a great instrument; she has it for sale on ebay right now; it's practically new. She's got it listed for 599 with 21 hours left at the time that I am writing this. It's the first thing that pops up when you type Kiwaya in the search... just in case you were interested. Best regards-
mark

I recently purchased a KTC-2 and decided it wasn't for me (I guess I'm more of a soprano guy actually). I sold it on ebay to a player out in Arizona; she contacted me and said it was an impulse buy and she had decided to sell it too- it's a great instrument; she has it for sale on ebay right now; it's practically new. She's got it listed for 599 with 21 hours left at the time that I am writing this. It's the first thing that pops up when you type Kiwaya in the search... just in case you were interested. Best regards-
mark
I've been watching it like a hawk, but she told me she bought it from a music store in Massachusetts, and she was the first owners. That you both bailed on it almost instantly has me concerned. Is there something wrong with its sound? Or playability? Thanks for reaching out to tell me about this. Would you mind saying how much you sold it to her for?

Thanks everyone. I bought Mark's former uke today on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom