PDA

View Full Version : NUD Farallon arrived

DownUpDave
06-24-2017, 03:34 AM
I was pleasantly suprised to have my Farallon delivered to me yesterday. HMS sent it out on Wednesday and for it to make it to my address in Canada in three days was great. Another big shout out and kudos to Andrew and his staff for delivering me a well set up beautifully playing instrument. I ordered mine with a radius fretboard, sound port and string through bridge.

This Blackbird Farallon is amazing, simple as that. The sound is full and loud and resonant AND articulate. It is one of those rare ukes that sound as good strummed as fingerpicked. What really impresses me is the feel, balance and playability. It is as comfortable to play and as easy to play as my two favorite tenors. It feels like an old friend already. The neck has a great feel to it, being a medium depth with a nice D shape to it. The back has a very pronounced arch to it that eliminates the need for braces. I was worried this uke would feel like plastic or artificial and I would not warm up to it. This is not the case. In my hands I feel as if it is a wooden instrument or at least something made from the land with a natural feel.

I like this instrument a lot and it will be interesting to see how the sound improves as the strings get played in, not that it needs to improve, it's damn good as is!!!

EmmaQ
06-24-2017, 03:59 AM
Love hearing others discovering and loving the Farallon. I have one too, also with the radius fretboard. Incredible sounding and playing ukulele! Curious if you have yours strung high g or low g. (I also have the Clara and since it's in low g, I have my Farallon in high.)

DownUpDave
06-24-2017, 04:04 AM
Love hearing others discovering and loving the Farallon. I have one too, also with the radius fretboard. Incredible sounding and playing ukulele! Curious if you have yours strung high g or low g. (I also have the Clara and since it's in low g, I have my Farallon in high.)

I have it strung low G, my tuning of preference for tenors. With your Clara being low G it makes sense to have your Farallon high G. I remember when you got your Farallon, the review you did was very helpful in pushing me towards getting one.

Maybe I need a Clara for a car uke :p...........right Tim.

keod
06-24-2017, 04:21 AM
Looks great. Nice big side sound port. Love the string through bridge. Two must have features. Congrats Dave.

bariukish
06-24-2017, 04:33 AM
She's a real beauty, Dave. I hope this doesn't mean that your UL-4 is getting less play time. Wish I could find a way to play three of my favs at the same time.

DownUpDave
06-24-2017, 04:35 AM
Looks great. Nice big side sound port. Love the string through bridge. Two must have features. Congrats Dave.

Thanks Casey, the big ole sound port makes a big ole difference

DownUpDave
06-24-2017, 04:37 AM
She's a real beauty, Dave. I hope this doesn't mean that your UL-4 is getting less play time. Wish I could find a way to play three of my favs at the same time.

Thanks, I think they did a good job with the aesthetics . The UL 4 has not been getting much play time, I go through phases with what I like to hear and play

besley
06-24-2017, 06:49 AM
Contrats. I remember mentioning that I can't imagine anyone ever regretting the purchase of a Farallon, and it sounds as if you would agree. But darn, now I have fretboard, sound port, and string through bridge envy! (Why does everything have to keep getting better after you've bought one?)

SoloRule
06-24-2017, 07:00 AM
Downupdave
I don't believe your assessment!
Show it to me in person ! ;).
Or leave it with me pleaseeeeeeee

WhenDogsSing
06-24-2017, 07:28 AM
You got the one from HMS that was so impressive with the sound port. It is a very nice instrument. Congratulations on a great score...!!!

DownUpDave
06-24-2017, 07:47 AM
Contrats. I remember mentioning that I can't imagine anyone ever regretting the purchase of a Farallon, and it sounds as if you would agree. But darn, now I have fretboard, sound port, and string through bridge envy! (Why does everything have to keep getting better after you've bought one?)

You were very helpful in answering the questions I asked you when you got yours. I know how that "envy" thing works. I saw the sunburst one on HMS and went *#&*#* me......... I want that, lol.

DownUpDave
06-24-2017, 07:50 AM
You got the one from HMS that was so impressive with the sound port. It is a very nice instrument. Congratulations on a great score...!!!

Thanks. Someone else bought the one you are refering to. I had ordered this with the string through bridge, that one had a tie bridge, both had the sound port. Andrew said they sounded very similar to each other.

Doc_J
06-24-2017, 07:53 AM

Tim, I'll fess up. That Farallon with the side soundport from HMS (http://www.theukulelesite.com/blackbird-farallon-ekoa-tenor-w-radius-fretboard-side-port.html) arrived here yesterday. Dave's Farallon is a custom one with the first through-hole bridge and first side soundport. Mine has the standard tie-bridge. It was cool that Dave and I received our on the same day.

My initial assessment is similar to Dave's. My Farallon with side soundport is one of the best sounding linear strung ukes I have played. It's got everything: resonance, balance, harmonics, responsiveness, volume, all in the right amount. I'm blown away by the sound quality and evenness. The trebles are bright and clear the bass is warm and not overpowering. I left the Oasis Warm/SM strings it came with on it. It excels in both finger style play and strumming. I have it in b-tuning right now. The playability, feel & comfort are terrific. When I play it, there is nothing missing. I'd compare and rank the sound quality and feel with the best custom builders.

lfoo6952
06-24-2017, 08:07 AM
DownUpDave and DocJ:

Congratulations! Welcome to the Farallon club. I have one as well but at the time of my purchase about a year ago, they did not offer side ports and radiused fretboards, which I would have preferred.

Luke

WhenDogsSing
06-24-2017, 09:54 AM
Tim, I'll fess up. That Farallon with the side soundport from HMS (http://www.theukulelesite.com/blackbird-farallon-ekoa-tenor-w-radius-fretboard-side-port.html) arrived here yesterday. Dave's Farallon is a custom one with the first through-hole bridge and first side soundport. Mine has the standard tie-bridge. It was cool that Dave and I received our on the same day.

My initial assessment is similar to Dave's. My Farallon with side soundport is one of the best sounding linear strung ukes I have played. It's got everything: resonance, balance, harmonics, responsiveness, volume, all in the right amount. I'm blown away by the sound quality and evenness. The trebles are bright and clear the bass is warm and not overpowering. I left the Oasis Warm/SM strings it came with on it. It excels in both finger style play and strumming. I have it in b-tuning right now. The playability, feel & comfort are terrific. When I play it, there is nothing missing. I'd compare and rank the sound quality and feel with the best custom builders.

Hodge, I'll fess up too. I am the one who purchased the first sunburst Farallon that HMS got in. I believe it was for sale at the same time as your Farallon. I already had a Farallon so I sold it to a fellow UU member who was looking for one. I haven't received my sunburst yet.

Many congratulations to you on the Farallon you purchased. It is truly a great instrument.

By the way, my 3 dogs are all doing well and I hope yours are too...!!!

http://www.theukulelesite.com/blackbird-farallon-ekoa-tenor-w-radius-high-gloss-sunburst.html

M3Ukulele
06-24-2017, 10:01 AM
Congrats Dave and Hodge. I like the string thu bridge and with both of you giving the Farallon a thumbs up, I'm close to pulling the trigger. The Sunburst at HMS almost pulled me in but don't want or need the pickup, where as I want radius fretboard and string thru bridge. Dave, how long did it take to fill the custom order?

I wonder if each of you could comment of sound port? I've read in another thread where for high G tuning (which is what I Want) that Joe was reported as saying it wouldn't make that much difference. Whereas for low G the soundport really opens and balances thing off. Just curious either of your opinions on this!

Thanks

Alytw
06-24-2017, 10:12 AM
Very nice Dave. Congratulations. I like the clean look of the string through bridge a lot.

Doc_J
06-24-2017, 10:29 AM
Hodge, I'll fess up too. I am the one who purchased the first sunburst Farallon that HMS got in. I believe it was for sale at the same time as your Farallon. I already had a Farallon so I sold it to a fellow UU member who was looking for one. I haven't received my sunburst yet.

Many congratulations to you on the Farallon you purchased. It is truly a great instrument.

By the way, my 3 dogs are all doing well and I hope yours are too...!!!

http://www.theukulelesite.com/blackbird-farallon-ekoa-tenor-w-radius-high-gloss-sunburst.html

My 2 dogs are doing fine as well. :)

Congrats Dave and Hodge. I like the string thu bridge and with both of you giving the Farallon a thumbs up, I'm close to pulling the trigger. The Sunburst at HMS almost pulled me in but don't want or need the pickup, where as I want radius fretboard and string thru bridge. Dave, how long did it take to fill the custom order?

I wonder if each of you could comment of sound port? I've read in another thread where for high G tuning (which is what I Want) that Joe was reported as saying it wouldn't make that much difference. Whereas for low G the soundport really opens and balances thing off. Just curious either of your opinions on this!

Thanks

I've got mine in low G (Oasis Warm, Smooth wound G). It sounds better (to the player) with the sound port vs. when I cover the sound port. Andrew and Kalei both say the soundport makes a big difference it the demo video.
https://vimeo.com/220854857

Thought I'd include today's sound comparison to the Farallon. I posted this in reviews but adding it here.
Just recorded comparisons to some of my other tenors in B tuning with all the same recording settings. The Farallon holds it own against some other amazing ukes.

Farallon : https://app.box.com/s/ia38ngucfkfb9vutvfz4ilhiewt16n51
LFdm spuce & rosewood: https://app.box.com/s/6tfex24yrg9fbsv5kluv6x09bux3rmf6
Grimes quilted maple: https://app.box.com/s/zv0ntq8mxd2h4oalro10nmgjm2rdno6v
Rieck spruce & koa: https://app.box.com/s/b2vx8tj0vcf6x617fvv747y1dd9dijj0

etudes
06-24-2017, 12:50 PM
I was pleasantly suprised to have my Farallon delivered to me yesterday. HMS sent it out on Wednesday and for it to make it to my address in Canada in three days was great. Another big shout out and kudos to Andrew and his staff for delivering me a well set up beautifully playing instrument. I ordered mine with a radius fretboard, sound port and string through bridge.

This Blackbird Farallon is amazing, simple as that. The sound is full and loud and resonant AND articulate. It is one of those rare ukes that sound as good strummed as fingerpicked. What really impresses me is the feel, balance and playability. It is as comfortable to play and as easy to play as my two favorite tenors. It feels like an old friend already. The neck has a great feel to it, being a medium depth with a nice D shape to it. The back has a very pronounced arch to it that eliminates the need for braces. I was worried this uke would feel like plastic or artificial and I would not warm up to it. This is not the case. In my hands I feel as if it is a wooden instrument or at least something made from the land with a natural feel.

I like this instrument a lot and it will be interesting to see how the sound improves as the strings get played in, not that it needs to improve, it's damn good as is!!!

Congrats Dave! Nice pics and beautifully appointed uke. My Farallon is back at Blackbird getting a sound port. I was missing it before, quite a bit more after reading this thread..

sam13
06-24-2017, 01:11 PM
Well, I guess I have to fess up as well.

I am officially envious and need to spend more time with Dave's Farallon.

I had a brief moment with the Uke and it is fabulous. Congrats buddy.

And congrats to Hodge and WhenDogsSing as well. I hope they bring you many hours of pleasure.

kvehe
06-24-2017, 01:50 PM
Congratulations, lucky guy!

Ukulele Eddie
06-24-2017, 01:51 PM
Congrats, Dave and Hodge. So happy for you both. Mine is just a few more weeks out. So excited.

etudes
06-24-2017, 02:25 PM
I have it strung low G, my tuning of preference for tenors. With your Clara being low G it makes sense to have your Farallon high G. I remember when you got your Farallon, the review you did was very helpful in pushing me towards getting one.

Yes!! Ha-ha.

etudes
06-24-2017, 02:35 PM
DownUpDave and DocJ:

Congratulations! Welcome to the Farallon club. I have one as well but at the time of my purchase about a year ago, they did not offer side ports and radiused fretboards, which I would have preferred.

Luke

Luke,

I made passing mention of this earlier in the post. I was thrilled to learn you can add a sound-port after the fact for $135. I sent mine back to Blackbird for this. (As it happens they are also addressing an issue with the MiSi pickup under warranty. I was experiencing a low frequency hum that would go away when you touched the jack- probably some sort of a grounding issue-but I love the sound of the Farallon plugged in! )

1931jim
06-24-2017, 02:50 PM

Thank you and congratulations. A very talented luthier indeed. I love the arched back, a feast for the eyes and ears.

Tof
06-24-2017, 08:06 PM
Thought I'd include today's sound comparison to the Farallon. I posted this in reviews but adding it here.
Just recorded comparisons to some of my other tenors in B tuning with all the same recording settings. The Farallon holds it own against some other amazing ukes.

[/URL]

I had mine tuned the same way for a while but I found that Ab3 sounded a bit "dead". I eventually came back to linear C tuning where it's less a problem (to my ears).

Rakelele
06-24-2017, 11:25 PM
Congratulations, Dave and Hodge! These sound like mighty fine instruments, and your descriptions really make me consider getting one in the future. Definitely needs to have the side sound port and radius fretboard, perhaps string through bridge, and I guess I'd prefer a gloss finish. The sunburst looks cool, but for me, the headstock would have to be black or stained as well in order to fit in with the overall look.

As for the discussions about side ports: Wouldn't it be neat if Blackbird made a cover for the sound port, so anyone could play their uke with and without one, open it up for rehearsal and close it when playing for an audience, etc.? I bet it would be easier to make a cover for those composite materials than it would be for a wooden instrument. Another plus for the Blackbird...

DownUpDave
06-25-2017, 12:07 AM
Sorry I went AWOL on my own thread, busy day yesterday.

@Solorule, hey Brenda, you can always come over and play it but no you can't keep it at you house:rolleyes:

@Ifoo6952, thanks for the welcome into the Farallon club

@M3ukulele, Hey Monty you really should get a Farallon with a sound port. I always order with a soumd port if it is available, makes a difference to the player no matter how it is strung. Blackbird's stated wait time is 12 weeks and the string through bridge added 10 days.

@Alytw, Adam thanks for the compliments, another member had the string through before me and when he posted a picture I knew I had to have it.

DownUpDave
06-25-2017, 12:23 AM
@Camuke, Campbell that is a very good comparison with the Gibson J200. As great as these sound and the big benefit of being non-wood the overall look and great aesthetics are sometimes forgotten. Blackbird has put a lot of time and effort into these instruments. As much as I LOVE my solid wood instruments I applaud Joe at Blackbird for looking to alternatives to a dwildling resourse and I wanted to support this company.

@etudes, I know how much you like yours and I really enjoyed the video you had done......cost me some money. Please do a review and give your opinion about before and after sound port when your Farallon is returned

@sam13, Simon I know you need more time with mine as I had just changed the 3rd string out from floro to wound an hour before and you only played it for about 3 minutes. Simon is so uke crazy, like the rest of us, that he stopped by on his way home from a dinner out with his family. He left them in the car as he ran into my house to give the new Farallon I quick strum, I'd only had it about 2 hours at that point

@Kvehe, Kathryn we are indeed luck guys........you would look really good behind one of these.....just sayin'

DownUpDave
06-25-2017, 12:29 AM
@Ukulele Eddie, Thanks so much and your Farallon is going to be quite the looker. I have "sunburst envy" after seeing the one at HMS.

@1931Jim, I appreciate the comments, very assute points regarding the arched back and the skilled luithers at Blackbird

@Rakelele, Rainer you would really enjoy one of these. Joe seems to be very open to doing custom work and I am sure he could do a black headstock for you. Let us know when it is due, hahaha!!!

DownUpDave
06-25-2017, 12:34 AM
A big thanks to Doc J for weighing in and giving his opinion and the excellent sound sample. It was so much fun swapping emails about our incoming Farallons and the fact we got them the same day. As most people here know Hodge has owned just about ever great make of ukulele out there. When he says the Blackbird compares favorably with the best customs that means alot.

sam13
06-25-2017, 04:12 PM
My 2 dogs are doing fine as well. :)

I've got mine in low G (Oasis Warm, Smooth wound G). It sounds better (to the player) with the sound port vs. when I cover the sound port. Andrew and Kalei both say the soundport makes a big difference it the demo video.

Farallon : https://app.box.com/s/ia38ngucfkfb9vutvfz4ilhiewt16n51
LFdm spuce & rosewood: https://app.box.com/s/6tfex24yrg9fbsv5kluv6x09bux3rmf6
Grimes quilted maple: https://app.box.com/s/zv0ntq8mxd2h4oalro10nmgjm2rdno6v
Rieck spruce & koa: https://app.box.com/s/b2vx8tj0vcf6x617fvv747y1dd9dijj0

Hodge, thanks for doing the comparisons ... I had a moment to listen to them on very good speakers and really enjoyed them a bunch.

Much appreciated. Thanks again.

Nickie
06-25-2017, 04:19 PM
Congrats Dave! I love that they got smart and made it through the body stringing. Neat looking and easy to re-string.
I sure don't hate the way it looks. I bet it's loud enough to cheese off the neighbors!

DownUpDave
06-25-2017, 04:38 PM
Congrats Dave! I love that they got smart and made it through the body stringing. Neat looking and easy to re-string.
I sure don't hate the way it looks. I bet it's loud enough to cheese off the neighbors!

Thanks Nickie, it certainly is a canon, no need for an amplifer with this one

igorthebarbarian
06-25-2017, 07:35 PM
can anyone compare it to the black Carbon Fiber BTU one they also make? That one doesn't seem to get much love here. I think the eKoa is amazing and innovative genius stuff.

Joe King
06-25-2017, 09:50 PM
can anyone compare it to the black Carbon Fiber BTU one they also make? That one doesn't seem to get much love here. I think the eKoa is amazing and innovative genius stuff.

Firstly, congrats Dave and the other fine folks that have Farallons now. :)

It would not surprise me if there is a new trend of Farallon-envy here on UU, unless this has been going on before, and I have not seen it yet...but you can count me among that group...

Secondly, I too am interested in comparisons to the BTU as igor has mentioned above...if you are of this experience, please do tell...maybe in another thread? so as not to steal the thunder from the Farallon love...

Doc_J
06-26-2017, 01:37 AM

I've also previously owned a black Carbon Fiber BTU. The Farallon has better sound IMHO. The black Carbon Fiber BTU was loud, very resonant, but less woody sounding, the gstring was a bit overpowering. It sounded distinctly different from wood tenors. The Farallon sounds like it is a wooden tenor ( a very excellent wooden tenor).

besley
06-26-2017, 03:18 AM
I've also previously owned a black Carbon Fiber BTU. The Farallon has better sound IMHO. The black Carbon Fiber BTU was loud, very resonant, but less woody sounding, the gstring was a bit overpowering. It sounded distinctly different from wood tenors. The Farallon sounds like it is a wooden tenor ( a very excellent wooden tenor).

I've also played the BTU, but it was such a long time ago that I can't really compare the tone with my Farallon. I can tell you that if you go over to the Acoustic Guitar Forum, in the Carbon Fiber page, that folks there have also been going nuts over the Blackbird eKoa guitars as being quite special compared with regular carbon fiber offerings. I have two carbon fiber guitars - a CA GX and an Emerald X7 - and I'd LOVE to get my hands on the new Blackbird Savoy.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48

Mezcalero
06-26-2017, 04:05 AM
A big thanks to Doc J for weighing in and giving his opinion and the excellent sound sample. It was so much fun swapping emails about our incoming Farallons and the fact we got them the same day. As most people here know Hodge has owned just about ever great make of ukulele out there. When he says the Blackbird compares favorably with the best customs that means alot.

I have had my Farallon for about 3 months now, and have had a chance to experiment with different string combinations and compare it with some very nice ukuleles. I would agree that it compares very favorably with high end instruments. When you add in the fact that you can take it/play it anywhere, it really stands alone.

Though I have never had the chance to play the carbon fiber models, I did extensive listening research, and none of the sound samples moved me. When I saw a sample of Corey playing the new Ekoa model, I was immediately struck by the tone, and you could tell Corey was as well. I like mine so much, I am enquiring to see if they will make a baritone for me.

DownUpDave
06-26-2017, 06:17 AM
I have had my Farallon for about 3 months now, and have had a chance to experiment with different string combinations and compare it with some very nice ukuleles. I would agree that it compares very favorably with high end instruments. When you add in the fact that you can take it/play it anywhere, it really stands alone.

Though I have never had the chance to play the carbon fiber models, I did extensive listening research, and none of the sound samples moved me. When I saw a sample of Corey playing the new Ekoa model, I was immediately struck by the tone, and you could tell Corey was as well. I like mine so much, I am enquiring to see if they will make a baritone for me.

Kevin you know you were very instrumental in me deciding to purchase a Farallon. I am more than thrilled with it and I thank you for all your great feedback.

SIGN ME UP for a baritone as well. Hopefully Joe from Blackbird reads this.

DownUpDave
06-26-2017, 06:27 AM
Firstly, congrats Dave and the other fine folks that have Farallons now. :)

It would not surprise me if there is a new trend of Farallon-envy here on UU, unless this has been going on before, and I have not seen it yet...but you can count me among that group...

Secondly, I too am interested in comparisons to the BTU as igor has mentioned above...if you are of this experience, please do tell...maybe in another thread? so as not to steal the thunder from the Farallon love...

I appreciate the congratulations. It seems that everybody that owns a Farallon enjoys it, just like the Clara. Blackbird is obviously doing something right.
:cool:

Rakelele
06-26-2017, 07:07 AM
SIGN ME UP for a baritone as well. Hopefully Joe from Blackbird reads this.

I'd be interested in a Blackbird Baritone as well, with a side sound port and radius fretboard. You can tell Joe at Blackbird that a Baritone model from them is an international demand... :D

good_uke_boy
06-26-2017, 07:17 AM
I appreciate the congratulations. It seems that everybody that owns a Farallon enjoys it, just like the Clara. Blackbird is obviously doing something right.
:cool:

Yes! It's great you've received and like yours. Because of these forum posts I succumbed to side-port envy and sent mine back to Blackbird to have one added (subtracted?).

Doc_J
06-26-2017, 07:25 AM
I agree that a baritone ekoa Blackbird would be great. But, the baritone uke market might be too small to justify the tooling and prototyping costs. It took a couple years to get the Farallon after the Clara. Hope Joe has the time and capital to pursue an ekoa baritone.

EmmaQ
06-26-2017, 01:44 PM
I talked to Joe a couple of years ago about adding a baritone to his line and I know he was considering it, but then I guess he decided on the Savoy guitar instead. I play a little guitar so I'm looking forward to trying the Savoy but I'd definitely buy a Blackbird baritone if he ever offers one. Hint hint- Joe you reading this?!

igorthebarbarian
06-26-2017, 01:52 PM
Thanks Doc_J! I have a Farallon & Clara and have always been quasi-tempted on the carbon fiber BTU. But seeing as how it doesn't get much love/ popularity here, and seeing as how much better the Farallon & Clara do, I would say I'll pass on the carbon fiber BTU.
I just wanted someone else to say "they're not as good as the Farallon" and that seems to the consensus. So I can justify NOT spending $1,500 more!
I am jealous of the side ports though.
I would like a baritone as well.

I did email Joe at Blackbird about the idea of a Ryder steel string tenor guitar and he said that could probably be custom-made. Basically just taking the existing model but re-doing the headstock tuners/ nuts/ bridge, etc. So if anyone is looking at that as a possibility, I think that one would be do-able.

EmmaQ
06-26-2017, 02:49 PM
Question to Igorthebarbarian, since you have both the Clara and the Farallon as I do, how are you tuning each? I mean in terms of low g high g. I have my Clara in low g and my Farallon in high but every once in a while I thinking about switching them.

Ukulele Eddie
06-26-2017, 04:47 PM
@Ukulele Eddie, Thanks so much and your Farallon is going to be quite the looker. I have "sunburst envy" after seeing the one at HMS.

Mine is out for its sunburst finish and expected back in a few days, so I should have more pics soon!

igorthebarbarian
06-26-2017, 04:51 PM
Question to Igorthebarbarian, since you have both the Clara and the Farallon as I do, how are you tuning each? I mean in terms of low g high g. I have my Clara in low g and my Farallon in high but every once in a while I thinking about switching them.

I have the Clara high G gcea with Oasis strings.
I'm actually re-entrant high Bb tuning (FBbDG) with some nice Southcoast strings. I've had it low G gcea too with a wound Fremont too. I guess I just prefer re-entrant tuning. Always have.

DownUpDave
06-26-2017, 11:57 PM
Yes! It's great you've received and like yours. Because of these forum posts I succumbed to side-port envy and sent mine back to Blackbird to have one added (subtracted?).

I remember your sound sample of the Farallon and Clara back to back, that was fantastic. Are you still playing the Farallon on stage with your son accompanying on guitar? Glad to see you sent the Farallon back to have a sound port added....subtracted. Please let us know your thoughts when it returns.

PereBourik
06-27-2017, 01:30 AM

Flea for a car uke. Clara for the office.

DownUpDave
06-27-2017, 01:44 AM
Flea for a car uke. Clara for the office.

I am an outside sale rep, on the road all day everyday so my car is my office ;) I don't leave ukes in the car, I bring them into the house at night. But I do get your point............always wanted a Fluke or a Flea but just never got around to buying one.

good_uke_boy
06-27-2017, 02:21 AM
I remember your sound sample of the Farallon and Clara back to back, that was fantastic. Are you still playing the Farallon on stage with your son accompanying on guitar? Glad to see you sent the Farallon back to have a sound port added....subtracted. Please let us know your thoughts when it returns.

Hey there. Yes, I'm still playing my Farallon at a local uke jam & open mic. But I haven't played again with my son, because he's been away at school. (He plays the Blackbird El Capitan guitar I bought him, by the way.) Luckily, his mom has been performing with me on stage. She sings, and she's the source of the boy's talent. It's been fun singing/playing/performing with the family.

Edit -- P.S.: Here we are (errors and all): https://www.facebook.com/1234298010/videos/10208983576006655/ Not playing my Farallon in this one, but I'm using the iRig Acoustic Stage for amplification.

hollisdwyer
06-27-2017, 05:33 PM
Nice one Dave. It sure seems like a great instrument. A definite progression from the blackbirds I have heard. Enjoy!

hawaii 50
06-27-2017, 10:38 PM

here is a video with all 3 Blackbird models

https://vimeo.com/223353982

DownUpDave
06-27-2017, 10:53 PM
Re : Baritone

I asked Joe Luttwak of Blackbird if they would be making a baritone. His response was......."Regarding a baritone, that could be a reality in a couple of years, but in the meantime we are doing our best to keep up with existing orders so new instrument development is not a logical priority."

DownUpDave
06-27-2017, 10:55 PM
Nice one Dave. It sure seems like a great instrument. A definite progression from the blackbirds I have heard. Enjoy!

Thanks Hollis, it has met and exceeded my expectations.

RobertSlus
06-28-2017, 10:19 AM
I love the idea of a sound port with a cover!!

Rakelele
06-29-2017, 06:28 AM
I love the idea of a sound port with a cover!!

Could anyone in contact with Joe ask him about the idea of adding a cover for the sound port? I think having that option would make me order a Farallon instantly.

To bad he dismissed the idea of a Baritone, for now.

Ukulele Eddie
06-29-2017, 09:33 AM
Could anyone in contact with Joe ask him about the idea of adding a cover for the sound port? I think having that option would make me order a Farallon instantly.

To bad he dismissed the idea of a Baritone, for now.

Sure. He is supposed to send me progress pics in the next few days and I'll ask him then.

Regarding the baritone, I'm not surprised. The baritone market is TINY. From a pure market standpoint, I would think they'd be better served with adding a soprano.

Rakelele
06-29-2017, 09:46 AM
Sure. He is supposed to send me progress pics in the next few days and I'll ask him then.

Regarding the baritone, I'm not surprised. The baritone market is TINY. From a pure market standpoint, I would think they'd be better served with adding a soprano.

Thanks, very cool!

Regarding the Baritone: Yes, it's a small market, but people who want one are usually pretty determined about it, as it won't be their first purchase, and ready to spend the money it takes. From what I understand, Blackbird is pretty much a boutique shop with a limited output. They won't sell hundreds of instruments anyway, but they might sell a handful of baritones to people who already have and adore one of their tenors or concerts. Of course, I fully understand that they concentrate on selling the models they have now. And I think it's great how they have adopted so many ideas from customers already.

Looking forward to seeing yours getting finished!

sam13
06-29-2017, 12:06 PM
Thanks, very cool!

Regarding the Baritone: Yes, it's a small market, but people who want one are usually pretty determined about it, as it won't be their first purchase, and ready to spend the money it takes. From what I understand, Blackbird is pretty much a boutique shop with a limited output. They won't sell hundreds of instruments anyway, but they might sell a handful of baritones to people who already have and adore one of their tenors or concerts. Of course, I fully understand that they concentrate on selling the models they have now. And I think it's great how they have adopted so many ideas from customers already.

Looking forward to seeing yours getting finished!

The Farallon started as a dream and now it is in high demand.

I think if Joe has enough interest, then he could be well persuaded ... we should start another thread ... see what kind of interest there might be.

Mezcalero
06-29-2017, 03:17 PM
The Farallon started as a dream and now it is in high demand.

I think if Joe has enough interest, then he could be well persuaded ... we should start another thread ... see what kind of interest there might be.

I agree Simon. When I enquired, I did not realize that the body and neck were a single piece requiring a unique mold. I had suggested maybe they could back into a big bodied baritone by just tweaking the neck on the Savoy. I agree with starting a thread. If there is enough interest, it would be easier for Joe to justify investing in a new mold for a baritone. Everyone would just need to agree on nut width and scale length. Joe could continue to offer upgrades such as sound hole, radiused fretboard etc, based on individual preferences.