PDA

View Full Version : Abalone rosette and binding too much?

ukudy
06-28-2017, 10:18 AM
Hey UUG!

I'm looking to get a new uke and I've got my eyes set on one that has abalone rosette and purfling. Is too much abalone on a glossy uke considered too feminine?

My lady and friends have both told me the uke I've been looking at is a bit too feminine for me. What are the general thoughts on what's considered masculine and feminine in the uke community? Thanks for your time.

Osprey
06-28-2017, 10:39 AM
I don't think a bunch of abalone will make a Uke look feminine. Just look at fancy banjos, some of them positively drip with abalone.

bratsche
06-28-2017, 12:01 PM
I think the amount of adornment on an instrument is a matter of personal taste, not so much masculinity or femininity. Personally, I'm very much a "bling minimalist" (unless the bling is found in the woodgrain itself) - and I'm a woman. You'll find people all over the map on this, I'm quite sure.

bratsche

Strumdaddy
06-28-2017, 06:35 PM
If someone gave me a vintage 5K Martin I wouldn't reject it as too feminine.

robinboyd
06-28-2017, 06:46 PM
I say get the one that you like and who cares what anyone things. Personally, I have similar tastes to Bratsche, but that's a personal thing. Don't listen to any of us, though. Go with your gut.

luv2uke
06-28-2017, 06:50 PM
The last ukulele I bought has abalone around the sound holes and body. Nobody mentioned it was too feminine for me. I think it's just a matter of what you like, if it's pleasing to you, you will play it more.

Rllink
06-29-2017, 05:28 AM
You just gotta ignore people. Some people say that ukuleles in general are feminine. Some people say that sopranos are feminine, others say that concerts are feminine. Some people say that wearing sandals is feminine. Some people say that little guitars are feminine. Some people say that Harley Sportsters are for girls. Bottom line, you just have to be comfortable with your own masculinity and go with whatever you want. It isn't the ukulele that it going to turn you look feminine if you play it. By the way, all that abalone would go well with some turquoise rings and a turquoise bolo tie. Just saying, embrace the image.

mikelz777
06-29-2017, 05:48 AM
In general, I don't think there is a masculine or feminine "look" for a ukulele though I've seen some Lunas out there that looked feminine to me. (My opinion.)

Why not post a picture of the uke so we know what you are talking about?

WCBarnes
06-29-2017, 06:05 AM
If someone gave me a vintage 5K Martin I wouldn't reject it as too feminine.

Exactly! While I tend to prefer the look of a style 3, the 5k is absolutely gorgeous and I wouldn't kick it out of my house!

cml
06-29-2017, 08:08 AM
. Some people say that wearing sandals is feminine.
Probably the same people who complain about socks in sandals. Their loss.

Down Up Dick
06-29-2017, 09:13 AM
Someone on this forum wrote that he read somewhere that Lunas are feminine. My "Peace" Luna is one of my favorite ukes. I fumble on it every bit as much as I do with my other, more expensive ukes.

I believed that we were all working to achieve sexual equality anyway. So, man up and buy yerself a soprano with bling. :old:

stevepetergal
06-29-2017, 02:16 PM
I think it's un-manly to give in to someone else's opinion about what is manly. (Go ahead, try to unwind that one)
Get the ukulele you want.

Uncle Leroy
06-30-2017, 11:06 AM
The "Bling Coefficient" is a personal decision.

mikebell48
06-30-2017, 11:19 AM
If you let someone else's opinion stop you from buying it you will regret it. If it's what you like hand over the money and enjoy.

Ziret
06-30-2017, 04:58 PM
Some people think feminine is a bad adjective. Who, after all, would want to look, act, or think like a woman? Horrors!

PhilUSAFRet
06-30-2017, 10:38 PM
What the heck to they know! Buy what you like. One of my favorite sayings that I change to fit the context is "real men buy whatever the hell they like"
(or wear, or ???)

Dean Beaver
07-01-2017, 03:25 AM
I've recently ordered a Concert scale, Spruce solid top, Rosewood Back and Sides, Open Headstock style Ukulele. It also has the Abalone Soundhole Rosette and Binding. I wondered about it a bit, is it too much bling for my liking ? But it actually looks very nice and I am really looking forward to receiving it, one day when it arrives. It's not High Gloss, I'm not liking High Gloss on my Ukes for some reason, I much prefer a Satin finish. But it's personal taste, and for me Satin is a lot about the feel rather than the look, especially neck-wise. I don't think it will make you look feminine, unless maybe if you wear a dress when you play it, and shave your legs too, in which case it possibly might do, especially if you carry it in a handbag with a miniature Chihuaha.

bariukish
07-01-2017, 04:05 AM
The amount and style of bling is, of course, a personal choice. My choice is to have the bling complement the wood type and grain. It should add to the overall beauty of the instrument without calling attention to itself. I look for understated beauty and elegance of the whole object rather than any one component.

bratsche
07-01-2017, 05:42 AM
....especially if you carry it in a handbag with a miniature Chihuaha.

Handbag? ¿Qué dices? Soy muy macho! ;-)

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/3f/7f/28/3f7f281852a3c8262b1841767735537d.jpg

Ziret
07-01-2017, 07:10 AM
The amount and style of bling is, of course, a personal choice. My choice is to have the bling complement the wood type and grain. It should add to the overall beauty of the instrument without calling attention to itself. I look for understated beauty and elegance of the whole object rather than any one component.

Oh my goodness, the first person I've read in days on the internet who used the word complement when needed, instead of compliment. Grammar stars!

Dean Beaver
07-01-2017, 03:07 PM
Handbag? ¿Qué dices? Soy muy macho! ;-)

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/3f/7f/28/3f7f281852a3c8262b1841767735537d.jpg

Si Senor .. Mis disculpas .. Donde esta el Olmo ?? :))

Booli
07-02-2017, 06:52 AM
I may be half-retarded (which is better than fully-retarded, and apologies to those that are :)), but as a man, the only ukes I'd consider girly or feminine might be pink or purple with rhinestones on them and I fully admit that this is a color-bias based upon stereotypes taught to me when I was a wee lad...and seeing more ladies with shiny adornments (jewelry) on their bodies than men as I was growing up.

Whatever your choice, be confident and OWN it. Your real friends will not judge you, but instead accept you. :)

dinghy
07-02-2017, 09:06 AM
Ahoy

no
not too feminine

as Ziret posted
what's wrong with something being feminine
am cheap
inlay costs money

given fine fancy uke
would not worry about gender
it would be played and loved

see you later
mac

13down
07-03-2017, 12:19 PM
I've owned a uke that had abalone only around the rosette (a clearwater) and a uke that had it on both the rosette and the perfling (an Oscar Schmidt).

At first, the Schmidt looked a little over-the-top. But over time, I came to think it looked awesome.

On the other hand, the Clearwater looked cooler to me at first. "Subtle and tasteful," I thought as I first took it out of the box. But then, over time, I realized that the abalone rosette isn't much to look at. I'd notice it every so often and say, "Oh yeah, forgot that that was there," and I'd find myself wishing it were a normal white strip just like the perfling.

I think that, because you can see the abalone perfling more while playing, it makes for a cooler visual experience. It's also more visible from far away, which adds to the visual experience. An abalone rosette gives a sense that the uke is a bit fancier, but it's not striking. It's more like a piece of jewelry that looks bland unless someone stares at your hand. The one with both the rosette and the perfling is more like a piece of jewelry that gets the point across from far away.

Do real men avoid abalone? Or do real men buy abalone because they're so confident?

Neither, because gender is mostly fake!

Dean Beaver
07-05-2017, 10:44 PM
My new Abalone arrived yesterday .. I find the Abalone complements the Timbers rather than dominating the appearance of the Instrument as a whole. I'm well pleased with this Uke.

mikelz777
07-06-2017, 01:02 AM

I can understand how abalone purfling may not be everyone's cup of tea but I don't see why someone would consider this look feminine. (or masculine for that matter) If the uke the original poster is talking about looks like this or something similar and he likes it then he should go for it.

Down Up Dick
07-06-2017, 03:48 AM
Looks good ta me, but then I like bling. Have a good time wid it. That's what they're for. :cheers: :old:

hobblecreek
07-06-2017, 04:35 AM
I think the ukulele you buy should be the one that sounds the best to you, and then it’s a big plus if you really dig the way it looks. Personally, I like a nice abalone ring around the top and/or soundhole instead of white/black/white plastic binding or purfling (although I love and own ukes with both).

As an aside, I will add that I think it’s kind of funny that the instrument makers want to call the plastic edging "ivoroid" or the fancier term "cross-grained ivoroid", when in truth it is mere plastic. Similar to this is the so called "mother of pearl" used on headstocks for the builder's name ─ we used to refer to that as "mother of toilet seat". Whenever I see a guitar or ukulele that has the builder's name set into the headstock in abalone I am impressed, because the builder took the time to do it (and then, of course they charge a bit more for the effort as well).

Buy what you like and then play the heck out of it.

deznuchs
07-11-2017, 11:00 AM
" the only ukes I'd consider girly or feminine might be pink or purple with rhinestones on them and I fully admit that this is a color-bias based upon stereotypes taught to me when I was a wee lad...and seeing more ladies with shiny adornments (jewelry) on their bodies than men as I was growing up."

lol.

I have an HF-3 and have been personally looking for a more bling (abalone rosette and binding) to brighten up my life. That is just my personal thought on it. I say go for more bling!!!

mmfitzsimons
07-11-2017, 11:14 AM
Similar to this is the so called "mother of pearl" used on headstocks for the builder's name ─ we used to refer to that as "mother of toilet seat".

Mother of Pearl is in fact genuine shell, just like abalone, but it generally has a more even, whiter coloring (tho there is black MoP, gold MoP, etc). The term "mother of toilet seat" refers to Pearloid, a fake version of MoP. Some people like the retro look of Pearloid (Gibson guitars, for one), but I personally prefer genuine MoP.

kohanmike
07-11-2017, 07:44 PM
I have a couple of ukes with glitz and have no concerns about whether they look feminine, I think they look great.

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Uku uke 2 sideways.jpg

Down Up Dick
07-11-2017, 08:01 PM
I have a couple of ukes with glitz and have no concerns about whether they look feminine, I think they look great.

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Uku uke 2 sideways.jpg

I agree, and I like a little bling too. What is all this talk about feminine ukes? I guess if one wants to be manly he oughta get himself a heavy ol' rusty National Steel.

I thought all the old fashioned masculine/feminine days were over, and we all play the same, equal ukes. :old:

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
07-12-2017, 03:33 PM
Huh? All I build are "feminine" ukes. ;) A little much for some people but I can't seem to help myself.

hawaii 50
07-12-2017, 03:45 PM
Huh? All I build are "feminine" ukes. ;) A little much for some people but I can't seem to help myself.

i am a Tough guy who uses a chain saw to cut my trees down...:) but i like this "feminine" uke......looks good Chuck!!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
07-12-2017, 04:05 PM
i am a Tough guy who uses a chain saw to cut my trees down...:) but i like this "feminine" uke......looks good Chuck!!

Shoots, you probably even eat quiche! ;)

hawaii 50
07-12-2017, 04:11 PM
Shoots, you probably even eat quiche! ;)

Haha..yes i do if Bonnie makes it....:)

OhioBelle
07-13-2017, 12:25 AM

Wow!!! This girl LOVES that feminine uke!!! :iwant: