Abalone rosette and binding too much?

ukudy

Reaction score
Abalone rosette and purfling too much?

Hey UUG!

I'm looking to get a new uke and I've got my eyes set on one that has abalone rosette and purfling. Is too much abalone on a glossy uke considered too feminine?

My lady and friends have both told me the uke I've been looking at is a bit too feminine for me. What are the general thoughts on what's considered masculine and feminine in the uke community? Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
I don't think a bunch of abalone will make a Uke look feminine. Just look at fancy banjos, some of them positively drip with abalone.

I think the amount of adornment on an instrument is a matter of personal taste, not so much masculinity or femininity. Personally, I'm very much a "bling minimalist" (unless the bling is found in the woodgrain itself) - and I'm a woman. You'll find people all over the map on this, I'm quite sure.

bratsche

I say get the one that you like and who cares what anyone things. Personally, I have similar tastes to Bratsche, but that's a personal thing. Don't listen to any of us, though. Go with your gut.

The last ukulele I bought has abalone around the sound holes and body. Nobody mentioned it was too feminine for me. I think it's just a matter of what you like, if it's pleasing to you, you will play it more.

You just gotta ignore people. Some people say that ukuleles in general are feminine. Some people say that sopranos are feminine, others say that concerts are feminine. Some people say that wearing sandals is feminine. Some people say that little guitars are feminine. Some people say that Harley Sportsters are for girls. Bottom line, you just have to be comfortable with your own masculinity and go with whatever you want. It isn't the ukulele that it going to turn you look feminine if you play it. By the way, all that abalone would go well with some turquoise rings and a turquoise bolo tie. Just saying, embrace the image.

In general, I don't think there is a masculine or feminine "look" for a ukulele though I've seen some Lunas out there that looked feminine to me. (My opinion.)

Why not post a picture of the uke so we know what you are talking about?

If someone gave me a vintage 5K Martin I wouldn't reject it as too feminine.

Exactly! While I tend to prefer the look of a style 3, the 5k is absolutely gorgeous and I wouldn't kick it out of my house!

. Some people say that wearing sandals is feminine.
Probably the same people who complain about socks in sandals. Their loss.

Someone on this forum wrote that he read somewhere that Lunas are feminine. My "Peace" Luna is one of my favorite ukes. I fumble on it every bit as much as I do with my other, more expensive ukes.

I believed that we were all working to achieve sexual equality anyway. So, man up and buy yerself a soprano with bling. :eek:ld:

I think it's un-manly to give in to someone else's opinion about what is manly. (Go ahead, try to unwind that one)
Get the ukulele you want.

The "Bling Coefficient" is a personal decision.

Some people think feminine is a bad adjective. Who, after all, would want to look, act, or think like a woman? Horrors!

What the heck to they know! Buy what you like. One of my favorite sayings that I change to fit the context is "real men buy whatever the hell they like"
(or wear, or ???)

I've recently ordered a Concert scale, Spruce solid top, Rosewood Back and Sides, Open Headstock style Ukulele. It also has the Abalone Soundhole Rosette and Binding. I wondered about it a bit, is it too much bling for my liking ? But it actually looks very nice and I am really looking forward to receiving it, one day when it arrives. It's not High Gloss, I'm not liking High Gloss on my Ukes for some reason, I much prefer a Satin finish. But it's personal taste, and for me Satin is a lot about the feel rather than the look, especially neck-wise. I don't think it will make you look feminine, unless maybe if you wear a dress when you play it, and shave your legs too, in which case it possibly might do, especially if you carry it in a handbag with a miniature Chihuaha.

Last edited:
The amount and style of bling is, of course, a personal choice. My choice is to have the bling complement the wood type and grain. It should add to the overall beauty of the instrument without calling attention to itself. I look for understated beauty and elegance of the whole object rather than any one component.

....especially if you carry it in a handbag with a miniature Chihuaha.

Handbag? ¿Qué dices? Soy muy macho! ;-)

3f7f281852a3c8262b1841767735537d.jpg

Attachments

• 3f7f281852a3c8262b1841767735537d.jpg
    3f7f281852a3c8262b1841767735537d.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1
The amount and style of bling is, of course, a personal choice. My choice is to have the bling complement the wood type and grain. It should add to the overall beauty of the instrument without calling attention to itself. I look for understated beauty and elegance of the whole object rather than any one component.

Oh my goodness, the first person I've read in days on the internet who used the word complement when needed, instead of compliment. Grammar stars!

Top Bottom