Which uke to buy?

franulele

Reaction score
I'm looking for a concert uke, nice quality, but not "heirloom" quality (KoAloha, Kamaka, custom luthier)...

I like Tin Pan Alley & Great American Songbook tunes, and am mostly a strummer. So far, I'm interested in these ukes:

Mainland Mahogany Matte finish
Kala Koa with Solid Cedar top
Mele Mahogan

Has anyone played these ukes & able to do a comparison?

Looks like a good starting list. All those brands have fans here. :)

Kala has several nice models, including cedar tops. So does Pono.

What about Mainland? They have a very nice sounding uke. Well worth considering.

Add the Ohana Vita Uke to list. ;)

Those are all sweet ukes. If you like the plinky, old-timey sound, a lot of it's in the strings. Hilo strings are good for that.

I own 2 Kalas and 2 Meles. I want a mainland but I know that I can get a Mele for the same price almost. Of the three that you are choosing IMO the Mele is the best. I do like the mainland and one day will buy one of the red cedar top ones. If yu decide to go with a MELE call Cheryl. Much better response than dealing with computer.

Ian, I just sold my Pono PT (mahogany tenor) ,,, I like the sound and the ebony fretboard. BUT, bar chords would make my hand hurt the next day. I think it was the wider neck & string spacing.

The neck on my Lanikai tenor feels much more comfortable. From what I've heard, Kalas, Mainlands & Meles all have narrower necks. (As do KoAlohas, but I really can't afford that kind of money)

Ahnko, The Ohana Vitas are very cool! I know they are sometiomes advertised as concerts, but when I've inquired about the scale, I've been told they are soprano. I have an old Roy Smeck Vita Uke from my Grandmother. It is very fragile, but when I've tried it I've found the soprano scale to cramped.

haolejohn, I've been thinking about either a Mele concert Pineapple in Mahogany or a Mele COncert Traditional shape.

Last edited:
I see a Mahogany COncert on the Mele website for $299. I wonder if it will sound that much better than the Kala Koa with solid cedar top ($235) or the Mainland Mahogany ($219)

Top Bottom