Uncle Ric revues $29 Mitchell MU40NT Soprano Acoustic 'Ukulele 4th of July Sale item

ricdoug

Reaction score
Vista (North County San Diego), California
The Mitchell MU40NT Soprano Acoustic 'Ukulele is on sale from now until July 4, 2017 at Guitar Center both online and in store. Remember, also that many local and online stores are running similar 4th of July sales, also. I bought this one on Friday June 30, 2017 and it was playable out of the box. The first thing I did was to tighten the screws on the tuners snug as I do on all 'ukulele that have that feature. I was able to play chord positions up to the 7th fret with decent intonation, keeping in mind that the strings are still settling in and still stretching. The relief (action) is slightly high, but not bad. This would easily be fixed when it's time to replace the strings. I would replace them at that time with a set of Aquila Concert Nylgut strings which are brighter, louder and put less tension on the neck which would lower the action and be eaier to play and easier on the finger pads and reduce fatigue in the forearm muscles. There are inlaid fret markers, but no fret marking dots on the top of the neck. This is easily remedied by applying those dots with nail polish. The purfling is both on the front and back of this 'ukulele adding to it's aesthetics. The finish is matte and natural, making it also a nice looking instrument. I would not fell guilty gifting this nice and playable instrument to a friend or family member. Watch my video review on the below link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk9RkAmKO4M

Hi Ric,

Thanks for the heads-up on the sale - surely some folks will be looking for something like this now. :)

I bought 6 more for gifting, Booli. 4 were similar to the original one I bought. one the strings were resting on the frets. I whittled down a wooden fireplace matchstick to fit and placed it under the saddle and it worked perfect. This one had a lighter gauge set. The last one I used some needle files in the grooves of the nut to correct the action and intonation issues playing first, second and third position chords. Ric

Top Bottom