George Formby's banjolele

Have to wonder who the buyer was - if it was a millionaire with a nostalgic attachment to Formby, or just a millionaire trying to win something. Auctions are always fascinating. Especially auctions of musical instruments.

I don't understand the carping. Jealousy perhaps? 28 grand is not that much. If I had the cash spare I'd love to have a beautiful instrument like that. And it is an investment. Like gold, art or the stock market.

There are many folks who have resources far beyond my own but I do not envy them. I was merely pointing out that for the more affluent collector, who is not necessarily affected by the lunar phases, £28000 is a price worth paying.
My own collection is much more modest but I can dream.
As a matter of interest, what do you think "they" should do with their money?

So if someone works hard and makes a financial success of their lot, that's screwing the system? How do you know if the buyer does not support charities and perform charitable deeds? I find it hard to understand those who rush to judge without knowledge of facts. Perhaps you should colour your font green.

There are many folks who have resources far beyond my own but I do not envy them. I was merely pointing out that for the more affluent collector, who is not necessarily affected by the lunar phases, £28000 is a price worth paying.
My own collection is much more modest but I can dream.
As a matter of interest, what do you think "they" should do with their money?
Barrytone wrote.
""" the more affluent collector, who is not necessarily affected by the lunar phases,"""
The planet I have lived on for 86 years is affected by the lunar phases day in and day out. Without the lunar phases we will all, so called rich, and poor, cease to be.
My grand pappy once said. "Richest man in the world is one with a contented mind."

In the same write up (if you didn't read all of it! ;) )

....There are only three of the Gibson banjo ukuleles which Formby used, and one was sold for £72,000 at auction to Queen's Brian May in 2008.......

Now THAT is SERIOUS money for a Banjolele!!

As Bill1 said - he was an absolute ICON to the British people - a working class man with a funny accent who 'made good' - and made them laugh at a time they were facing invasion from Germany. He also visited troops on the ground & entertained them, taking their minds off the horror of war.

Hundreds of thousands if not millions STILL remember the funny (often dirty) ditties that he sang - and his amazing playing in the songs - and loved him for it.

As an investment ...... AMAZING!

1961 - bought by the 1st president of the George Formby Society (which is still up & running with record numbers) at Formby's estate auction for an unknown sum -probably less than 100 Poumds - I believe his will indicated his fiancee was to get his bits - but his ex wife challenged & it was decided to sell it all & split the proceeds.

1972 - bought by Formby Fan Terence Wallin for 310 Pounds

George Harrison made an offer on it in the 80/90s - he was a tremendous fan of Formby and a master at playing his 'Formby Style'

2017 - sold for 27,000 pounds

To be honest I am amazed it didn't go for more!!

RP

Last edited:
So if someone works hard and makes a financial success of their lot, that's screwing the system? How do you know if the buyer does not support charities and perform charitable deeds? I find it hard to understand those who rush to judge without knowledge of facts. Perhaps you should colour your font green.

Well said.:agree:

Top Bottom