Straps, Strap Buttons, and Squeaks, oh my...

ghostrdr

Reaction score
I put the snakewood strap buttons on my tenor ukulele. I attached a Sherrin's threads strap to the strap button on the bottom of the tenor. The top is attached to the headstock.

The darn thing squeaks - a lot! I think it is the leather strap moving against the strap button every time I breathe, or shift position, or strum, etc.

Any ideas how to stop this? When I'm playing, I usually focus on the music and notes, but I do still hear it. I feel like the leather is not playing well with the wood button, but don't know.

Does anyone else have this happen?

They should bed in to each other. :)

(The two surfaces are likely very slightly rough, particularly the leather, & will become smooth.)

Try some talc ... totally inert and won't stain anything but may well help with the squeak ... it works well on squeaky car windows!

Good luck :)

Talc powder? I was thinking some type of leather softener. Hmmmm.... powder eh.

The potential problem with anything liquid is that it just might stain or discolour one or other of the surfaces. Leather softener may be fine for leather, but what's it like on wood - specifically the type of woods your ukulele and your strap button are made from?

Just thinking ... :confused:

Top Bottom