Baritone ukulele conversion

Ondrej

Reaction score
Baritone ukulele conversion
Ukecello = Baritone ukulele tuning CGDA (C2G2D3A3). Same tuning as a cello.
String from "Pyramid 7String Classical Guitar Set I"

String B1 - tuning C2
String E2 - tuning G2
String A2 - tuning D3
string D3 - tuning A3
B3 Not used
E4 Not used

Whoa, that's deep man. :cool:

Ondrej - your videos sound great and thanks for sharing the string info. :)

I am looking into getting set of these strings (or similar) to try it out myself. What scale length is the baritone you have in the videos?

I've got a tenor and baritone uke both in CGDA fifths tuning, but they are an octave higher than yo have here, and the tenor is re-entrant C4-G3-D4-A4, and the baritone is linear C3-G3-D4-A4.

For a while, I also toyed around with a sort of Eddie Freeman style tuning which is re-entrant but with the strings closest to the floor, an octave below linear as in C3-G3-D3-A3, with all wound strings, but it sounded pretty muddy to me, on both tenor and baritone scale when playing chords...

After much experimentation and $$$ with different strings, I never could get an acceptable string set together for octave mandolin tuning, i.e., G2-D3-A3-E4 on baritone that would intonate well enough without having excessive tension, so I gave up on that tuning (for now).

I'm convinced. Ukucello for the win.

I'm glad if I enthused you for the Ukecello. I'll be glad if someone else tries this tuning.

I love this idea. I'm just starting to learn cello, and I had a crappy Hilo baritone laying around, so of course I had to do it. I ordered a set of La Bella 7SG strings from Amazon (and I picked up one of your fingerpicking books there, too, Ondrej.)

So the strings arrived three days ago, and I loaded the Hilo up with the 4 fattest ones. I had to file two of the slots in the nut, and ended up breaking off a small chunk, but it still works fine. And I'm having a blast with it. It's helping me to learn where the notes are on the neck, and to read bass clef, without having to worry about intonation and the bow all at the same time.

The D and A strings feel great. The C and G strings are a little floppy. (The string gauges are .050", .042", .036", and .029", and I have a 47 cm scale length.) So next time I'm going to try the 8-string La Bella set, and hopefully get a little more tension on the C string, with the low .052" string in that set. Heck, I might even have to buy a nice baritone now.

I love this idea. I'm just starting to learn cello, and I had a crappy Hilo baritone laying around, so of course I had to do it. I ordered a set of La Bella 7SG strings from Amazon (and I picked up one of your fingerpicking books there, too, Ondrej.)

So the strings arrived three days ago, and I loaded the Hilo up with the 4 fattest ones. I had to file two of the slots in the nut, and ended up breaking off a small chunk, but it still works fine. And I'm having a blast with it. It's helping me to learn where the notes are on the neck, and to read bass clef, without having to worry about intonation and the bow all at the same time.

The D and A strings feel great. The C and G strings are a little floppy. (The string gauges are .050", .042", .036", and .029", and I have a 47 cm scale length.) So next time I'm going to try the 8-string La Bella set, and hopefully get a little more tension on the C string, with the low .052" string in that set. Heck, I might even have to buy a nice baritone now.

Thanks for the information. Do you have any recording? I wonder what sound the next ukulele has.

Top Bottom