Taimane gardner and her strumming

noob4uke

Reaction score
Really I have to find out. Does any of you know the strumming pattern which Taimane Gardner uses in her flamenco type songs. Like in Jonathan (her original) and malaguena. She uses everywhere bu still I can't find the strumming pattern for that.

Please help mee. I need this sooo much. I'm trying to find for a year and result: NOTHING. A FULL OF NOTHINGNESS

PLEASE HELP ME

:( :( :confused: :confused:

Ps: Especially I wanna learn the mute strumming parts.

NEWS

HEY GUYS ! FIRST OF ALL THANK YOU FOR EVERYONE WHO TRIED TO HELP ME. I DID. I REALLY DID. I FOUND THE STRUMMING. I WROTE THIS BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW HOW TO CLOSE THE THREAD. MAYBE THERE IS NO SUCH THING. MAHALO AGAIN. AND ALOHAAAA

Last edited:
link might help. I'm sure she's combining a number of strumming pattern's that you may have to be Taimane to pull off.

Really I have to find out. Does any of you know the strumming pattern which Taimane Gardner uses in her flamenco type songs. Like in Jonathan (her original) and malaguena. She uses everywhere bu still I can't find the strumming pattern for that.

Please help mee. I need this sooo much. I'm trying to find for a year and result: NOTHING. A FULL OF NOTHINGNESS

PLEASE HELP ME

:( :( :confused: :confused:

Have you contacted Taimane herself? She seems approachable. In lieu of that, let me briefly explain what I've been doing to create my own flamenco style. Like you, I am a newbie/amateur/whatever-you-want-to-call-it. I closely observed some accomplished artists and I took away a few things that broadly flavored their sound:

1. four-finger roll
2. autonomy of the thumb. The thumb seems to be an independent agent that works on its own
3. string muting
4. sound board percussion

Now taking all these elements together, you can easily take some existing chord progression that you are comfortable with (e.g., a blues progression in C) and add these elements to get a total flamenco-vibe:

1. do a 4-finger roll
2. strum down with the thumb
3. strum up with the thumb
4. do a 4-finger roll but palm-mute it and at the same time strike the sound board with the thumb
5. strum down with the thumb

Those 5 things would be the components of one strum. If you can achieve this strum with any kind of fluidity, you'll get a nice Spanish vibe.

I am not at all familiar with Taimane. So I don't know if this will or will not help you approximate her strum. However, I offer it so that you may get your own flamenco mojo working without too much work.

This is the wrong reply sorry 😅

Last edited:
Have you contacted Taimane herself? She seems approachable. In lieu of that, let me briefly explain what I've been doing to create my own flamenco style. Like you, I am a newbie/amateur/whatever-you-want-to-call-it. I closely observed some accomplished artists and I took away a few things that broadly flavored their sound:

1. four-finger roll
2. autonomy of the thumb. The thumb seems to be an independent agent that works on its own
3. string muting
4. sound board percussion

Now taking all these elements together, you can easily take some existing chord progression that you are comfortable with (e.g., a blues progression in C) and add these elements to get a total flamenco-vibe:

1. do a 4-finger roll
2. strum down with the thumb
3. strum up with the thumb
4. do a 4-finger roll but palm-mute it and at the same time strike the sound board with the thumb
5. strum down with the thumb

Those 5 things would be the components of one strum. If you can achieve this strum with any kind of fluidity, you'll get a nice Spanish vibe.

I am not at all familiar with Taimane. So I don't know if this will or will not help you approximate her strum. However, I offer it so that you may get your own flamenco mojo working without too much work.

Thank you for help. And yeah I tried to reach Taimane but she didn't reply to my message. And I tried youtube too but still I can't reach her. Anyways, thank you again for your help. I'll try to do it to see if its the true pattern.

I am assuming you have gone to her website. She does sell Song books, the first one called Ukulele Songs has the song "Malaguena" in it. The description says it is writen in tabs so a strumming pattern might be shown.

She is coming to the Strummin' Man Ukulele Festival in Panama City, FL in October. I am looking forward to seeing her perform in person and attend her workshop.

Yeah I saw her songbook and it contains some of my favourites but its little bit expensive for me. For that i need to gather money and in summer I don't have that opportunity. (Im a student by the way). And I only need the strummings cuz I already figure out most of the tabs.

Yeah I saw her songbook and it contains some of my favourites but its little bit expensive for me. For that i need to gather money and in summer I don't have that opportunity. (Im a student by the way). And I only need the strummings cuz I already figure out most of the tabs.

You might do well to investigate 'flamenco' style classical guitar techniques, of which there are tons of tutorial videos all over YouTube.

Mind you this is not something you can learn in a weekend, I myself have been studying it for a few years, and am very selective in the various small bits that I choose to learn, since I have not the time nor the dedication to perfect them all.

I should also say It is not my intention either to master flamenco guitar, but to learn enough to make my playing interesting, on both guitar and ukulele. :)

That kind of playing takes years of practice, stumbling through early stages, finding it little by little. The adage is if you want to master a technique, it takes 10,000 hours of work, meaning a "master" of the technique. When I first started playing guitar about 50 years ago, I learned a simplified version of Malagueña that actually comes off very well. So you don't have to be a master to make a nice sound.

Last edited:
I checked all the flamenco styles both ukulele and gjitar in youtube but still I couldn't find.
And I am not trying to say that im gonna master this technique in a week. I just wanna know the pattern that she uses cuz It sounds beautiful to me and I want to use it in my original song.
It's already been 3 year since I started to play, If I find out the pattern I can develop myself with it.

She has a YouTube channel that she posts "how to" videos on. Have you looked there? And if she hasn't, e-mail her and ask for such a video!

She has been a player who focuses very much on her ukulele playing...but she has also recorded some videos of her singing--and she has a good voice as well.

The one thing she does that distracts me, which is a part of her act, is that she wanders/dances on stage (sometimes like a ballerina) and as a "classically trained musician," that is just too much wandering. However--I wouldn't tell her to change it as it is a part of her unique performance style

It is going to be wonderful to see these young women continue to grow up as masters of their instruments and to watch their styles and techniques change over the years (I include Brittni Paiva in that statement). This is the after-Jake and James generation.

I'm sure she's combining a number of strumming pattern's that you may have to be Taimane to pull off.

:agree:
Try your best to develop your own style based on the sound you want. Probably Taimane can't even tell you what she's doing, she just does what she feels. People ask me about my strumming style and I can't describe it I just do what I think sounds right.

:agree:
Try your best to develop your own style based on the sound you want. Probably Taimane can't even tell you what she's doing, she just does what she feels. People ask me about my strumming style and I can't describe it I just do what I think sounds right.

+1 to ^

I could not 'teach' someone to play exactly how I do, nor can I describe it well other than to say it is inspired by this, or by that, and at this point it's all intuitive and ingrained.

If somebody else can copy me in a 'monkey-see/monkey-do' just by looking, then they must have some autodidact or savant traits. :)

I send messages from facebook and youtube but she didn't reply to me. And yeah I checked all of her "how to" videos but there are no videos about her strumming.

You are right she has a good voice. And her dancing.... yeah she has a unique style. In fact her way of looking creeps me out sometimes :) :)
But her playing and her personality is all i care.
I hope one day I'll become amazing like her. (If I don't die even before achieving it)

Yeah maybe you are right.... But I'll try my best to find out :D. And if I can't then I will make my own crazy strumming.

Please help! At least one of you should have know the pattern right ?

Yeah nearly all of her vidos. But when i play it slow it looks blurry and I can't tell if is she chunking or strumming.

Last edited:
Top Bottom