Port Orford cedar brown stains!!!

Joshypogi

Reaction score
I've bought these port orford cedar tops about 2 1/2 years ago and are very nice quality. I took it out from my shelf and sorting each one out and noticed brown stains on. I don't remember receiving in this condition. Does anyone have a clue what it is?

Attachments

• IMG_0418.jpg
    IMG_0418.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0419.jpg
    IMG_0419.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0420.jpg
    IMG_0420.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 114
Any chance is could be some kind of oil that leaked on it?

Really odd... I'm trying to think what did that and I'm clueless. Nasty whatever it is.... Had to come from outside and not from inside the wood. ... Drops of oils from your bench? Stored under a drill press? Bug s**??? How deep into the wood does it go?

Edit: I think the clue might be in the picture. Did you just sharpen your plane blade before you planed the plates? I think the drops of oil came from your plane blade. My theory anyway.

Last edited:
some of my POC tops have that- Pitch pockets i think leaking

I think Beau is correct, I have also seen this before. A lot of clean rags and a lot of naptha will sometimes allow you to draw all of it out. No guarantee of success though and life is short. Not the fault of whoever sold it to you. Good luck.

There are a couple of Australian timbers that will do that for no reason whatsoever. Bleed out pitch even years after being finished. And looks just like this POC.

I wouldn't use that set for a soundboard at all. Too much time and effort goes into building one to have that come back and bight you on the bum.

Top Bottom