8 string question

plunker

Reaction score
Starting to get the itch again. Who has an 8 string uke?
Are the strings set up in octave pairs?
How did you find the transition from a four string uke?
Can it be picked and strummed?
Anything I need to know but don't know to ask?

From (DOH! G,C,E,A) its octave, octave, unison, unison.

8 string ukuleles are made to be strummed although I usually finger pick anyway. The string tension is quite high so you need to develop your hand strength. I don't have strong hands but I detune my 8 string tenors 3 semitones so the tension isn't that bad but its higher than a 4 string. If your finger picking you need to practice clean picking.

Anthony

Last edited:
From C,G,E,A its octave, octave, unison, unison.

8 string ukuleles are made to be strummed although I usually finger pick anyway. The string tension is quite high so you need to develop your hand strength. I don't have strong hands but I detune my 8 string tenors 3 semitones so the tension isn't that bad but its higher than a 4 string. If your finger picking you need to practice clean picking.

Anthony

I believe he meant GCEA. Anyway, I mostly strum mine when I play it, but I don't play any of my ukes much any more. :eek:ld:

I would like to get the Ohana 8-string concert and have it all unison with high G, I think that's the traditional Taropatch tuning...

Hello,

I play an 8-string as a cheap alternative to a renaissance guitar, so my Baton Rouge T8 is stringed just like a renaissance guitar. That is, from low to high : octave, unison, unison, single chanterelle (so you might just call it a 7-string). I solved the tension problem by tuning a whole step lower, so fF, BbBb, DD, GG. This string choice works nicely for baroque music as well.
Hope this helps,
Cheers.

Last edited:
I got the Kala acacia tenor. I fingerpick so I've got it strung with very light strings, high G, all unison. It's a beautifully made instrument and sounds great, very full and mellow.

If you play 4strings, there is nothing more you'll need to know regarding how, you play it as you would any uke. Regarding octaves, its a choice and you may need a second nut slotted for the strings. I play mine unison.

If you want to play fingerstyle on an 8-string, be aware that there is a small learning curve for the right hand. Nothing that difficult, indeed, and you can master it in a matter of days : as for every double string instrument, the plucking must be applied on both strings at the same time, to get a nice, round and full tone. This can be very easily achieved by putting some vertical pressure with the tip of the finger on both strings of the course and then release the pressure to let the course ring.

Of course, this technique requires no-nail, or very short nails, as for the lute. There are a few tutorials on YT that can be of a great help. But once again, it's quite esay to achieve, and it adds versatility to your right-hand technique.

Received my Baton Rouge 8 string tenor (from Red Cow Music UK, 250 USD) a few days ago. Loving it more each day. Strumming is a joy for the fingers and the ears. Fingerpicking might be a real challenge, if not impossible for me at least.

You may want to look up a video that Gordon Mayor (Mya moe) made about different uses of the paired strings. It's very informative.

The 8-string is fairly versatile. I have mine tuned mandola-style CCGGDDAA. The sie is close to a mandola and it's more comfortable (and economicsl).

not all 8 strings are fingerpick friendly. I sold a custom because the string spacing was too narrow for fingerpicking. My cheap Lanikai 8 works fine though.

Mine is unison but I have a hankering to try octaves.
Strumming is a no-brainer. It plays the same as my other standard ukes.
Maybe bar cords require more pressure.
I have seen other people fingerpick my 8-string but I have not taken that step on any uke yet.
Here is Jake Wildwood playing it with his fairly standard sound test. At 0:30 and 1:10 he does some interesting picking.

You may want to look up a video that Gordon Mayor (Mya moe) made about different uses of the paired strings. It's very informative.

Mya-Moe didn't build an 8-string, but it made a mighty fine 6-string. Here's Gordon's "A Year with Mya-Moe Unscripted" video discussing the MM 6-string.

My Baton Rouge 8 string tenor was delivered a few days ago and I am continually impressed with the sound and setup. Read the review some time ago and had to have one. Could only find them in Germany or England and dealt with Red Cow Music in England. They were patient, interested and helpful. When the order was on its way the package contained the uke, a hard case (Ashbury, moulded closed cell foam, with nylon outer shell and smooth velvety liner with Velcro neck clamp, zipper top closing, pocket and backpack straps). With shipping the bill came to $327 Canadian or about $250 US. It plays a treat having been well setup and sounds like a bunch of ukes playing. Strings still stretching and let me know when retuning is needed as then the sound is awful. Great member to my growing uke family; Ohana concert, Lanikai baritone.

Thanks to all. Took the plunge. OS *string tenor. Paid $77.00. I guess I can't go far wrong for that. Some of my uke ventures have not ended well. They don't work for me and thy are not heavy enough for a door stop.

Thanks to all. Took the plunge. OS *string tenor. Paid $77.00. I guess I can't go far wrong for that. Some of my uke ventures have not ended well. They don't work for me and thy are not heavy enough for a door stop.

I've had mine for quite a while. For the price it's a bargain.

Top Bottom