looking for opinions on a Romero spruce/laminate Grand Tenor

DaveY

Reaction score
preferably by someone who has one -- I've located several video samples online, but they're either from NAMM (with ambient noise) or from a seller who seems to have "sweetened" the sound electronically . . . thx

Dave, it seems I've read that the Grand Tenor isn't all that loud. We don't have one, but we do have a solid mahog Tiny Tenor, and it is one of the best sounding instruments I've ever played.
I hope that helps.

Thanks, Nickie. I thought that the Grand Tenor sounded muffled/strangled in the online Ukulele Site sample. But I'd want it in high g, so I'm wondering if that would help at all.

I thought that the Tiny Tenor (the laminate body one) sounded much better, but I suspect that in high g it wouldn't be different enough (for me) from my Opio acacia concert.

I'm sure if you asked Andrew at HMS to post a sound sample of the grand tenor, solid top in high G he would. I requested to hear Farallon in high G and they did it. Now, perhaps others also did... point is HMS are great guys to work with. It's difficult to buy on line some times. . I've been considering the solid top TT but keep remembering Nickies comments about how Good her all Solid mahogany is. So 3 of 4 tenors I own are all solid. Throw in a Fluke tenor. So, I'm on the fence on the new TT model myself.

Hearing the Farallon in high G was enough to convince me to save for one. Recent comments from dad and Hodge also helped seal my fate.

Good luck and post results if you buy one.

preferably by someone who has one -- I've located several video samples online, but they're either from NAMM (with ambient noise) or from a seller who seems to have "sweetened" the sound electronically . . . thx

I'm almost certain that U-Space in Los Angeles (Little Tokyo) has at least one in stock. I bet if you called Jason Arimoto would play it for you...

M3 and Neo, thanks for your good ideas. I'll look into them. My problem would be solved if I lived in L.A. or Oahu (although Uke Site is out of the GT as I type this) . . .

Top Bottom