Ukulele? Guitar? You decide...

Cool. It sounds more like a guitar to me. With a lot of that clip on youtube, I would've thought a telecaster of some variation. It could've just been the way it was being played too.

I'm surprised an expert would've allowed the tuning machines to be mounted upside down like that. They're specifically designed to be installed with the gears the other way. Now you're looking at reduced performance, at the least, and worst case scenario is they will fail completely at some point.

Geetar!

22" scale.

:cool:

As he says in the video it's a bit of a hybrid. 5 string electric baritone but with the scale length of a short scale tenor guitar. The boundaries between baritone uke and tenor guitar are inevitably fuzzy. Anyway, does it matter if it works for you and lets you make the music you want?

I'm surprised an expert would've allowed the tuning machines to be mounted upside down like that. They're specifically designed to be installed with the gears the other way. Now you're looking at reduced performance, at the least, and worst case scenario is they will fail completely at some point.

I looked at the video and tried to imagine the stresses on the tuners. I can't see it's going to make much difference. They should work and if they're decent quality should give good service.

Looks like a guitar. Sounds like a guitar. Top 4 strings are like a guitar. It's a guitar!

I looked at the video and tried to imagine the stresses on the tuners. I can't see it's going to make much difference. They should work and if they're decent quality should give good service.

From my research of how they work, this is my understanding:

Tuners are designed so when installed correctly the worm gear (long one) will be pulled into the other gear (round-ish one) by the string tension. So you get a good connection between the two. It improves function and eliminates slippage. Also, this keeps the tuning post from getting pulled to where it leans towards the nut a lot and starts to bind under tension.

I even remember someone posting right here on UU, in the tech support section, about how they installed their machines backwards and it led to problems.

Top Bottom