My first ever go on a UKE!

S11LKO

Reaction score
Hi guys, having just joined and introduced myself in the appropriate section, I thought I'd just post a short vid (including the blooper when I forgot the words! lol) from the first open mic night I ever did two days after I got my first uke. I was pretty nervous, and this vid is just so you can all see where I'm starting from and exactly JUST HOW MUCH help I need lol.
As you can hear, I'm not much of a 'singist' either, but I do have fun with it, and that's what our music should surely be all about, isn't it?
Any guidance you can give (including the comment "Give up now before you make our ears bleed!" I suppose lol) would be appreciated. Please be kind to an old boy!

There wasn't a thing wrong with that! You didn't seem nervous, either.:)

Thanks for your kind comments Jan (Chopped Liver) & Choirguy. I've tinkled with accoustic guitar a bit over the years (there's a video link below to one of my silly guitar songs if you want to make your ears bleed! lol), so really I just need to get used to the four strings and different chord shapes of the uke. I'm having great fun learning though - luv it - but looking at videos from many of you on this site, I can see that I have a LOOONNNGGGG way to go yet in order to be able to do the same!! :)
Link to one of my silly guitar songs: https://youtu.be/bYTRbmdu-Uk

Last edited:
Awfully good for 48 hours...I think! Welcome!

Thanks Sharpskin. As I said above and in my profile, I HAVE been playing around with guitars on and off over the years, so it's just a case of getting used to some the differing strum patterns and chord shapes of the uke. I bought the uke shown in the video two days before and practiced that one song for hours in the two days before the video was shot. I was in two minds about whether to use it at that open mic event, but I was so excited about owning a uke I wanted to show it off. In the end, the uke went not too bad I feel...it was the perishing' WORDS I forgot! I hate this ageing bod and mind of mine! lol

Thanks Pirate Jim. I never actually realised that until you just pointed it out. It'll help.

Thanks a lot pabrizzer. I've seen some of your vids so I take that as a compliment coming from you. Appreciated my friend.

A Christmas Tree in July? Is this a Procrastinator's Club Meeting?

Haha! It was filmed a while ago. The club hall that particular open mic was held at - sadly the organisers have now decided to close the open mic events there due to "internal politics" so I now need to find another one to play at - had a while earlier also been used to rehearse some sort of children's Christmas play (don't ask me what - I have no clue - and the tree they used hadn't been cleared away yet. I was informed that, as the organisers of the open mic had use of that club hall for free, they didn't feel inclined to complain. I don't blame them either!! lol

You played and sang great! I liked it. You didn't look nervous at all, good stage presence. You have great potential. I look forward to seeing more videos.

All the best,
Luke

Top Bottom