First string change impressions

Reaction score
I've had a Mahalo soprano for a few months, my first and only ukulele, and I decided to replace the stock strings with something better. I heard Aquilas do wonders with cheap laminate ukes, so I ordered a set of Aquila nylguts.

To stretch the strings, I pulled them, tuned up, pulled again, and retuned, over and over, like Aquila suggests. They stretched more than I expected, but they've stayed pretty stable afterwards.

I read a lot about the volume of the Aquilas, but the most noticable difference to me was the amazing sustain. The notes just keep ringing! :D That means I can play quietly, and still get good tone. Good for my neighbours ;)

I didn't think strings could change the intonation, but something definitely improved... a lot! I can now play the C string 9th fret, and it sounds like exactly the same note as the open A string! It used to be really flat, and I hated playing above the 7th fret. The notes up there sound so clear, too, compared to the muted sound of the old strings.

In fact, the lousy intonation was the main reason why I wanted a better ukulele. These new strings just might hold off my UAS for a while yet. Not that my wallet would allow it, anyway...

In short, the Aquilas improved sustain and intonation, and generally brightened up the sound a lot. I'd probably see great improvements with any quality strings, but for now I couldn't be happier. This is possibly the best upgrade there is for a cheap uke like mine.

The articles and videos on string change (here and elsewhere) left out some of my basic questions, but as you can tell, I did fine anyway: "How do I fasten the string to the tuner?" (I don't, I stick it through, and it stays put when I tighten the string.) "Oh, I can wind the strings both ways, so which direction do I turn the tuners again?" (The strings exit towards the centre, so that the C string doesn't rest against the G string's tuner.)

Glad your happy with the improvements! I did exactly the same thing with my first uke. It was one of the spongebob novelty ones and having put Aquilas on it, it isn't too terrible and is great fun to play. Hopefully it'll hold back the UAS for a while but really you know you should give in to it! x

"How do I fasten the string to the tuner?" (I don't, I stick it through, and it stays put when I tighten the string.)

in my ukulele setup tips video i mentioned bringing the string through the tuning post once... then looping back around and reinserting it the same way again. this will act as an anchor to avoid line slippage on the tuning post. otherwise, it may take several winds around the post to acquire an adequate "grip".

Glad to hear that your string change went well! Aquilas do miracles on cheap ukes.

Top Bottom