Who makes the best mango?

NatalieS

Reaction score
I've always loved the sound of solid mango in a uke-- very sweet. So now I have to ask the experts: who makes the best solid mango uke? I used to have a Kala laminate mango tenor, but the size was too big and, well, it was a laminate. I've heard nice things about the Pono mangos (both pineapple and figure-8 shaped), and I see that Lanikai has also recently introduced a solid spalted mango instrument with some beautiful abalone purfling. Does anyone own any of these instruments and have opinions on them?

Thanks!! :music:

2492460256_12d1fbe10c_o.jpg

There's only one Mango.

I'm in touch with some folks I know at Hohner Music this week regarding the tenor mango Lanakai. I am deciding between this Lanakai or a Mainland tenor. I also would like to hear some opinions about mango ukes.

I've always loved the sound of solid mango in a uke-- very sweet. So now I have to ask the experts: who makes the best solid mango uke? I used to have a Kala laminate mango tenor, but the size was too big and, well, it was a laminate. I've heard nice things about the Pono mangos (both pineapple and figure-8 shaped), and I see that Lanikai has also recently introduced a solid spalted mango instrument with some beautiful abalone purfling. Does anyone own any of these instruments and have opinions on them?

Thanks!! :music:

To whom did you sell your Kala? I just bought one and it would be funny if I now own 2 NatalieS ukes! :D

I had to look it up-- it went to UU member "PoiDog" last fall. :)

Thanks for the replies, everyone! So far I like the sound of the Pono figure-8 the best. I haven't heard much from the Lanikai since it's so new, and I also am unfamiliar with some of the custom builders you have mentioned.

My favorite mango uke I've ever heard, though, was the Kanile'a custom now owned by thejumpingflea. It sounds just awesome!

I've tried the Pono and Tangi and bought the Tangi. Great workmanship I thought the tones were a bit richer.... :nana:

I love my Tangi solid Mango Gecko.
mango.png
Mediterranean-Gecko.jpg

I have the Pono mango, tenor size. It's well made, but the sound is rather muted compared to other tonewoods. It's described as mellow by some, but it really has a narrower tonal output range and lower sustain than other woods. It's most noticeable in the higher end of the range.

I improved the sound of my Pono by replacing the bone saddle with a Tusq, and replaing the strings with Aquilas. That helped it sing more in the higher region (to my ears).

lol, I make the best FrozenMango :D :D :D :D

Just joking....

and i make the best pickled green mango. sugar, black pepper and shoyu. broke da mout!

Pickled mango green common mangos sliced and soaked in shoyu vinegar and lots of black pepper red chile pepper optional I am hungary now

Can we get the recipe over here on the West Coast or just a little this and a little that?

Top Bottom