Patience with new ukes

Ukecaster

Reaction score
How long does it take you to decide whether you like a new uke, and decide to keep it? As a long time guitarist, I can usually tell after a few strums if I like a guitar. If it's not the tone I like, it goes back on the shop wall quickly. I know all about instruments "opening up" after a period of time/play, but I usually just don't have the patience to wait months or years for that. I know strings can make a difference too, but overall, if I don't like the volume or tone right off the bat, or within a week or two at most, it's not a keeper for me. How about you?

I've been playing ukulele and guitar since the 1960s. I can determine quickly whether an instrument is a quality build, if the intonation is good, if the fit and finish are good, etc. There are lots of variables to consider with the tone of an instrument. I once posted a list of tone woods and their respective sounds so that people could know what to expect as a general rule when choosing a solid wood constructed instrument. Humidity, altitude, and other factors influence tone with age, but, I am able to predict an instrument's tone as it ages based on the wood, construction, and over-all climate. I don't generally buy an instrument without knowing what to expect.

... overall, if I don't like the volume or tone right off the bat, or within a week or two at most, it's not a keeper for me. How about you?

... I don't generally buy an instrument without knowing what to expect.

Yes, and yes! I pretty much know right away, usually before committing to buy.

Being unable to buy locally, all my ukes have had to come via the internet, & my assessment of them from online videos.
Maybe luck or down to my judgement, but with this method of purchase, I have been OK, & have received what I expected.

Ive never had a uke get better. Either its good, or its not. "Patience" is a ploy to hope you convince yourself not to return it.

"Keep it" for how long? If "keep it" means planning on never letting it go, I would never say that about any uke I've ever owned.

Thinking more short term though.....
I have to do all my buying online. I usually research as best I can, and then buy from a seller that I have a lot of experience with and trust. Also, one that has a good return policy is important. I usually have an idea of what I'm getting, but nothing can replace having the instrument in hand.
I have taken in instruments and known within minutes I wouldn't keep them, for various reasons, and others within a day or so. Beyond that initial period: The majority of the time I let an instrument go, it's because I want to try something else and gain some cash back or I'm simply downsizing and can live without it. I'm more of a minimalist, so I just don't like having a lot around.

Last edited:
My Ponos have both noticeably improved in sound, both were bought early this year. The tenor (from the Marketplace) was almost new when I got it, and the baritone (eBay) had hardly been played, but sat in the seller's closet. I've been giving them a real workout, though.

bratsche

I'd never buy or keep a uke I didn't like right away. But my opinion does change over time. Usually it's not the uke that changes; it's me. Can't strum the metal-body resonator the same way I strum a Flea. (Or rather: I could but I wouldn't like the sound.) Can't strum a banjo uke the same as a wood-body concert. Baritone's a whole other thing entirely.

I have to sing differently if I'm playing the Flea vs. the Fluke. A little more nasal with the Flea to blend with its plunkier tone.

You have to listen to the uke and it will tell you how to play it. Sometimes that takes a while.

Also, strings. Strings make a big difference (much more than on steel-string guitars in my experience).

Also, situation. Who are you playing with, and what do their instruments sound like? Are you in a small room? Outside? The uke you needed last year might not be the one you need today. Of course, the uke you needed at last night's gig might be different from the one you need this morning, which is my excuse for having more than one uke. :)

So if I like a uke enough to buy it, I do expect to spend some time working on our relationship.

I've been playing ukulele and guitar since the 1960s. I can determine quickly whether an instrument is a quality build, if the intonation is good, if the fit and finish are good, etc. There are lots of variables to consider with the tone of an instrument. I once posted a list of tone woods and their respective sounds so that people could know what to expect as a general rule when choosing a solid wood constructed instrument. Humidity, altitude, and other factors influence tone with age, but, I am able to predict an instrument's tone as it ages based on the wood, construction, and over-all climate. I don't generally buy an instrument without knowing what to expect.

Be careful if you go out in the wind, some of those tickets might blow off. :biglaugh:

Last edited:
I have some experience over the past 35 yrs with many different instruments, and lots of times have been of the mind like Pippin, janeray and Dean above, but lately I am more open and patient to look for and find something special in a particular instrument, and most of the time I have an idea of what I am looking for, but other times I do not, and having more than a dozen ukes now allows me to play the one with the sound I want 'at that moment in time'. I doubt I would ever be happy with just one uke. This also plays into WHY I play, and it is mostly for myself and for my songwriting.

I've become more of a purist in my recording endeavors, and while you can EQ and fiddle with knobs to make things sound different, I prefer to start with something that sounds different 'in the air' or feels different in the hands, rather than molest the sound all fubar in the computer...and then capture, as accurately as possible that natural sound into the recording.

I dont much play in public or in groups, so that is not a big concern for me now, however in the future that may change depending upon the issues that arise when that happens...

However, lately I am more open and in agreement with acme and Bill as per below, and have often been rewarded with more patience by finding new things to enjoy in the sounds and playability.

...So if I like a uke enough to buy it, I do expect to spend some time working on our relationship.

I'd never make a blanket statement about buying a uke. Each buying experience is different.

That's not to say that if an instrument sounds bad to me, as soon as it's in my hands that I will keep it or buy it, for if it sounds dead, lacks resonance or has little sustain, likely I will pass, and I can tell right away and thus will not waste more time on the instrument since we have such a wide plethora of choices. We truly have an embarrassment of riches with all the different makes and models available to us, from worldwide vendors and makers now, so it makes no sense to buy or keep something that is 'less than'.

Further it does take some experience to KNOW an instrument that is 'less than' another, which most newbies lack completely, and later on this plants the seeds for UAS...

I can tell right away if it is not a good sounding quality ukulele. However, I have had instruments grow on me and I'm not opposed to tweaking nuts, saddles, strings, setups, etc. to fine tune an instrument. Humidity, temperature, and whatever forces of nature make a big difference on how a ukulele sounds from time to time. It can be love-hate when it goes from grail to meh.

I have one ukulele that has a chunky neck and the C string booms a little. Also, I didn't care for the string spacing. Tried a number of different strings and even fishing line. Tuned it low G. Even tried steel strings before shipping it off to my brother. Got it back, re-strung it, did a few tweaks, and now I really enjoy playing it. It's funny... I got it back to take on a trip in case something happened to it, it wouldn't bother me as much as one of my other ukes. Now I'm not sure if I want to risk taking it... lol.

John

I buy just about everything on line, either here in the Market Place or from a trusted retailer like HMS. I have only sent one ukulele back that I just didn't like. I can usually tell with in the first week if it will be a long time keeper or not. I like to give it a full week minimum because being shipped from "where ever" to Canada places strusses on the wood and I want it to normalize before making any judgement.

I have fallen in and out of love with some very fine instruments. Knowing that my moods and tastes can change over time if I think it is a great uke with in the first month it is a keeper. Sometimes it takes a few string changes so I try to be patient.

I have had the privilege of trying and purchasing two ukes at HMS and Elderly . I ended up selling both before their one year old birthday therefore I don't think trying it in person at the store helps me much!
I need to be in my own environment and play for over an hour to judge the uke.
I also learned different set of strings often change your opinion of the uke.
However, I do own one uke that I never tried before buying yet it's exceeded all my expectations! I love it more each day. This one uke will be forever by my side till death do us part! That remind me , I need to include this in my will so my children know who is the beneficiary ! ;)

However, I do own one uke that I never tried before buying yet it's exceeded all my expectations! I love it more each day. This one uke will be forever by my side till death do us part! That remind me , I need to include this in my will so my children know who is the beneficiary ! ;)

What is this mighty uku you speak of?

Indeed. Excellent performance, beautiful uke.

I have a 2 week 'honey moon period' with everything. Be it guitars, tech, ukulele's or watches. Sometimes the ukulele or - inset hobby item - i truly go crazy about for the first 2 weeks is the one that goes back/gets sold first. The one that is a slow grower can be the keeper.

Otherwise if it survives 6 month to a year plus then goes its because something else arrived and eclipsed it.

I am an ex guitarist although i still have a rare rosewood/spruce dreadnought for once or twice a year play. I find i had to learn what i like with ukulele... Still learning... :) Enjoying the process tho. I research deep and view youtube videos then make sure there is a return if new or a good resale if used. I have been lucky and haven't bought anything i really dislike.

I have bad UAS atm... My only safe ones are the Timms for obvious reasons and the Ohana SK38, the supplies of the SK38 have dried up. Mine is 340 grams and with Martin M600's is a beaut!

Big signature changes this week. ;)

As a one time guitarist (for many,many years!) I can usually tell
when I play an instrument, if it 'feels right' to me, or not. Some
instruments just call out to you that they are 'the one'. Others
not so much, but can still make satisfying beater ukes, or work
horses for all occasions!

I have learned not to trust my first impressions of any instrument. It takes time for me to truly assess an instrument's potential.

In fact, I initially had mixed feelings about every instrument that has turned out to be lifetime keeper for me. I struggled with each for a period of time before I came to understand the instrument and appreciated what it had to offer. Usually the problem was rooted in difference between my preconceived notions and reality. Even when I was holding a great one - like my Collings I-35 - I was focused on what it wasn't ("Hmm, the in-between sound isn't as 'quacky' as I had hoped it would be"), instead of what it was. Occasionally, it has taken a bit of work with the instrument: the set-up, finding the right combination of strings, best gauge of strings, new electronics, pickups, etc - in order for me to truly appreciate the instrument. In any case, it took time. A 48 hour trial period? Heck, I need a 48 day trial period! Andrew, you cool with that?? :)

The funny thing is, I think I have sold every instrument that initially blew me away - so, as I said, I don't trust my first impressions at all. (Clearly, I like an instrument that plays "hard to get".... lol.)

Top Bottom