Baritone ukulele dovetail dimensions advice please.

miche

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I was hoping to get some advice on Sliding dovetail dimensions for a baritone ukulele.

On a guitar I made at college the dimensions for he sliding dovetail were:
32 at the top of the dovetail tapering down to 20 mm the top of the dovetail
And the bottom it goes from 22 tapering down to ten.
No I had originally planned to use these dimensions on my uke but the block is a lot smaller being 52mm wide and 25mm deep.
So i had a think and thought I could use something like
25 tapering down to 15 at the top
And 20 tapering down to ten at the bottom.
However I was told that the difference between the top and bottom dimensions should be 10 mm and with that theory my planned dimensions wouldn't would and the taper at the bottom of the dovetail would end up far two small.

So I was hoping to get some advice on the dimensions people use and what you would recommend.

Thanks in advance.

I recently measured a Martin concert ukulele neck end male dovetail..and all the angle's were 10 degrees..this makes the included angle of the dovetail 20 degrees..the thick end under the fret board extension is about 1 inch wide ..I stick to angles not tapers...20 degrees works fine for me on sopranos...Here is a set up similar to what I use. http://acousticblog.mokkou.jp/?cat=22

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I hope to build a jig one day. I currently cut the dovetails by hand and clear the waste with a chisel.

Top Bottom