Collings Appreciation Thread

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
Given the sad passing of Bill Collings yesterday, I thought I would start a Collings Appreciation Thread. Post your nice comments here about Collings instruments (any type) over the next few days and then I will PDF the thread and share it with the Collings folks.

Thank you Bill Collings for your pioneering spirit!

I currently own two Collings ukuleles, a concert (UC3MSB, pics courtesy of The Ukulele Site)...

...and a tenor (UT3MSB):

I have owned two others, and played quite a few.

In my opinion, Collings are without equal among production ukuleles and even very few custom luthiers are on par. Tone and playability are excellent, the aesthetics always well done and build execution is consistently without flaw. I routinely see very high end, highly regarded ukes with poorly executed build details (e.g., purflings). Collings are always perfect. True, it has no impact on tone. But for me, the beauty and execution details of an instrument are a significant part of my enjoyment of it.

Beyond the instrument itself, Bill's drive caused them to perfect cases, too. Collings cases are works of art in and of themselves.

Thank you to Bill Collings for pioneering a company that consistently delivers incredible musical instruments to exceptionally high quality standards and to building a culture that that will not accept anything less. Your pioneering spirit drove an incredible contribution to the music industry and the legacy you left behind will continue to impact people for many years to come.

That sunburst concert is gorgeous, I think I was drooling over that when it was on HMS...

In my opinion, Collings are without equal among production ukuleles and even very few custom luthiers are on par. Tone and playability are excellent, the aesthetics always well done and build execution is consistently without flaw.Collings are always perfect. True, it has no impact on tone. But for me, the beauty and execution details of an instrument are a significant part of my enjoyment of it. Collings cases are works of art in and of themselves.
Thank you to Bill Collings for pioneering a company that consistently delivers incredible musical instruments to exceptionally high quality standards and to building a culture that that will not accept anything less. Your pioneering spirit drove an incredible contribution to the music industry and the legacy you left behind will continue to impact people for many years to come.

I agree 100%. I own a simple UC-1 and it is my most favorite ukulele that I've ever owned, regardless of price. (and I've owned a few good 'uns too!) I find myself always grabbing for that one.

Bill Collings has raised the bar on several types of instruments. He will be missed by MANY diverse musicians from those MANY various disciplines. My condolences to his family and staff.

Rest in Peace dear sir!

Attachments

• Collings UC1-1231b.jpg
    Collings UC1-1231b.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Collings UC1-1231d.jpg
    Collings UC1-1231d.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
My Collings ukes are the first ones i grab. UC1, UC3K and UC41K. Is it true Mr. Collings signed the labels?

My condolences to the Collings work and personal families.

My #1 acoustic guitar and #1 electric guitar are both Collings. Not much a fan of his ukes, but that is more a preference than anything else. Every Collings instrument is an example of top-notch craftsmanship.

My introduction to the fine world of Collings ukuleles occurred when I purchased a Collings UC2K from Jon here on the Forum. It had that delicious Collings smell and I was smitten from the get go. And yes, certainly in part because in Jon's vids, it sounded fantastic! Of course - Jon was playing! :)
The build was impeccable and bottom line - it was better than I ever deserved. Along the way, I had the extremely good luck to come across a Doghair Tenor (white headstock) and a Sunburst Tenor. Each was a noteworthy ambassador of the Collings name. I was greatly saddened to learn that Collings had stopped production of ukes. But even that news pales in comparison to the recent news of Bill's passing. His legacy in the world of guitars, mandos, and ukes is enormous. May he rest in peace.

Surprised and saddened to hear this news! His passion was evident in the instruments he made, and in the videos I have seen over the years of either him speaking, or in many cases others speaking about him.

In a different lifetime (decades ago) I was blessed to own one of his steel string guitars. Now, I am blessed to own a UT3MSB. The attention to detail is the finest I have seen. I have always liked their simple stylings. The woods are the bling, which is as I generally prefer it!

Rest in peace sir!

Played my Collings UT2SB (Western Shaded) today, in memory of Bill. A lovely instrument, which will never be sold by me - build quality is the best I've seen; immaculate.

27829537400_9c12a8ce83_k.jpg

Last edited:
About 3 years into my uke journey, I decided that I could get a better quality uke. My first attempt at this was a Kanile'a Super Tenor, which I liked, but I did not really connect with it, which was somewhat frustrating.

I decided to go to a shop where I could play a bunch of high end ukes and compare. I went through half a dozen, and nothing really set my soul on fire. Then I saw a couple of beautiful Koa ukes behing the counter and asked to play one. They were Collings, and it was love at first strum. A couple of months later, through a series of amazing coincidences, I ended up getting a used UT2-K (I think that's the model number)

It is a thing of beauty, in appearance, tone and playability. I have since gotten other high end ukes, but keep the Collings, which has a great tone, IMHO, for re-entrant tuning.

sad to hear of his passing. I have a UT1 and a few other brands of Uke's and high end guitars. The fit and finish of the Collings is the best of them out. It sounds fantastic and is amazingly made.

Top Bottom