Low G GCEA strings for a baritone.

PapaGeorgie

Reaction score
Thinking about a baritone...but I want the same tuning as my tenor. Low g. Any string makers make a stock set?

Thanks,

George.

Here's what I do. I use a set of South Coast strings that can be tuned low D but I tune them up two steps to get an A tuning which is very close to the best resonance for a baritone. The South Coast strings are good at both tensions. I find the A tuning ( the third string) to be nice for the baritone and my voice. A capo at the third fret would make it GCEA or you can just transpose chords. Raise them all three steps.

I thought about it when I bought my Bari, but just played C forms and eventually learned the right chord names for them. Only took about three months and I'm not too diligent. After a year or so, I don't get confused when I switch from C to G tuning, ...too often.

Same chord shapes, different names is all. :)

If you're not playing with others it won't matter that it is in a different key, or you could put a capo on the 5th fret.

Have heard more positive comments about Southcoast bari strings than any other brand.

Top Bottom