PDA

View Full Version : Arpeggio Meditations for Ukulele (Daniel Ward)

WifeOnFourStrings
07-18-2017, 04:22 AM
I've really enjoyed the meditation in the summer issue of Ukulele (http://www.ukulelemag.com/stories/news/ukulele-lesson-unlock-big-changes-in-your-playing-with-daniel-wards-meditative-arpeggio). Does anyone here on UU know if the book is available for (pre)order? Will it be available through booksellers? (B&N, Amazon)

I faithfully check DanielWard.net (http://danielward.net/), but the site doesn't appear to be updated often. Maybe someone who has taken a recent workshop with him has more information to share? :)

Chopped Liver
07-18-2017, 02:16 PM
I've really enjoyed the meditation in the summer issue of Ukulele (http://www.ukulelemag.com/stories/news/ukulele-lesson-unlock-big-changes-in-your-playing-with-daniel-wards-meditative-arpeggio). Does anyone here on UU know if the book available for (pre)order? Will it be available through booksellers? (B&N, Amazon)

I faithfully check DanielWard.net (http://danielward.net/), but the site doesn't appear to be updated often. Maybe someone who has taken a recent workshop with him has more information to share? :)

That was beautiful! I want to know more about this, too!

Ukulele Eddie
07-18-2017, 04:41 PM
I emailed Daniel to alert him to the thread. Hopefully, he'll provide an update.

bacchettadavid
07-22-2017, 04:05 PM
I attended one of Daniel Ward's workshops on these meditations, and it was a personal highlight of my ukulele journey. He passed out handouts of his meditations at the workshop and invited us to share them with our local uke groups. Assuming Daniel is okay with it, I'd be willing to scan the handout in and share it here on UU.

strat4me
07-22-2017, 06:10 PM
That was beautiful. I will order the book also. Thank you for posting this!

gtomatt
07-28-2017, 07:41 AM
I sent Daniel an e-mail asking about the release of this book. He responded very quickly to my inquiry as follows:

"Hi Matt
Thank you for your interest-

We are shooting for a print at the end of August - I'll file this email with the others who are waiting and let you know when it becomes available

Best
Daniel"

I get the feeling that a lot of folks are eagerly awaiting the book's release.....

Chopped Liver
07-28-2017, 07:51 AM
Thanks for keeping us updated!

WifeOnFourStrings
07-28-2017, 09:37 AM
I sent Daniel an e-mail asking about the release of this book. He responded very quickly to my inquiry as follows:

"Hi Matt
Thank you for your interest-

We are shooting for a print at the end of August - I'll file this email with the others who are waiting and let you know when it becomes available

Best
Daniel"

I get the feeling that a lot of folks are eagerly awaiting the book's release.....

Does that mean we need to email him to get on the list?

gtomatt
07-28-2017, 11:48 AM
Hi,

I don't think so. I think "the list" is just the folks who've contacted Daniel about availability of his book & it's projected release date. I would think that when it is released, that there will be an update on Daniel's or the SukeyJump website.

I can update this thread when he let's me know that it's available if that would help

All that being said, you could also contact Daniel via his website and ask to be added to the list

BarryB
07-29-2017, 03:00 AM
There was also a second meditation posted on ukulelemag.com:

http://www.ukulelemag.com/stories/ukulele-lesson-get-more-control-over-your-sound-and-rhythm-daniel-ward

I'm also anxiously waiting for the book to come out.

Chopped Liver
07-29-2017, 03:06 AM
Oooo! Thanks!

Cornfield
07-29-2017, 07:07 AM
Those are very nice. I'm meditating while playiiiiiiing

greenshorts04
07-29-2017, 02:58 PM
you betcha!

strat4me
07-29-2017, 03:14 PM
Thank you BarryB for posting this!

Danielworld
08-09-2017, 02:09 PM
Hello!! I have been traveling and teaching at festivals all summer. The book is being proofed and is scheduled for a print run in early September.
If you like please send an email to me at: danielworldmusic@gmail.com and I'll file yours with the others waiting. Best- Daniel

Chopped Liver
08-09-2017, 03:03 PM
E-mail sent!

Purpleorchid
08-10-2017, 05:10 AM
+1 for email being sent! Looks great!

WifeOnFourStrings
08-24-2017, 07:18 AM
Pre-orders are up on his website. :)

Brad Bordessa
08-24-2017, 09:36 AM
I got a sneak preview and I have to say, it looks pretty cool! People are going to be stoked. Top notch quality you'd expect and some pretty interesting musical sounds and styles.

Chopped Liver
08-24-2017, 02:49 PM
I pre-ordered mine!

ash13brook
08-25-2017, 02:27 AM
I pre-ordered, too. Nothing like a personal response from the author thanking you, either.

Matt

Johnzalez
09-06-2017, 06:45 PM
Pre-ordered! I'm stoked to get it!

wildfire070
09-29-2017, 12:50 PM
Just received the book in the mail. Looks really good! Can't wait to practice

Chewuch
09-29-2017, 01:04 PM
Mine just arrived! Very well done. I also received the MP3's via email when I pre-ordered. Getting started now...

Chopped Liver
09-29-2017, 01:22 PM
Yep, I got mine yesterday. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I am excited to have it!

Piecomics
09-29-2017, 01:27 PM
Are there any three string arpeggios? Wondering if it'd work out on my shamisen...

Johnzalez
09-29-2017, 04:03 PM
Mine just arrived! Very well done. I also received the MP3's via email when I pre-ordered. Getting started now...

I got the book today. Can't wait to start it! I didn't receive the MP3s though... I think that would be very helpful for me.

strat4me
09-29-2017, 06:15 PM
Heading to the post office in the morning, sure hope my copy is there!

WCBarnes
09-29-2017, 06:50 PM
I missed this the first time around! I'm happy for the bump! I just ordered.

gtomatt
10-02-2017, 09:28 AM
Just came in the mail!

Sharpshin
10-02-2017, 11:39 AM
Mine came in the mail. Good layout! Print is nice size for a change. Tonight will figure out how to get the video or mp3s.

MopMan
10-03-2017, 07:14 PM
Got your book today, Dan. Very nice work!

I spent a while on your second number "Floating Loop" today, as I had already been playing the first one for a few weeks after discovering it in this thread.

I have a beginner-ish question I don't think you addressed in the intro to your book: how do I prevent the fingers on my fretting hand from sounding notes as they release the strings to form new chord shapes? It seems as though the fingerpads of my left hand are sticky and won't release the strings cleanly, muddying up the sweet singing I am attempting to make with my right hand.

Croaky Keith
10-03-2017, 10:31 PM
.... how do I prevent the fingers on my fretting hand from sounding notes as they release the strings to form new chord shapes? It seems as though the fingerpads of my left hand are sticky and won't release the strings cleanly, muddying up the sweet singing I am attempting to make with my right hand.

Have your finger tips hardened up yet? You will develop hard skin on your finger tips after you've been playing a string instrument for a while. :)

MopMan
10-04-2017, 03:21 AM
Have your finger tips hardened up yet? You will develop hard skin on your finger tips after you've been playing a string instrument for a while. :)

Oh yes, I have well developed callouses at this point. Before the ukulele, I fiddled around with a steel-string guitar for many years. I dare say the callouses have softened up a bit in the past few months since I discovered the uke.

It just seems that most of the time, releasing a fretted string on my ukulele causes it to sound a little. In this book, Daniel stresses listening carefully to your music and making your instrument sing. While meditating on my music, I notice that there are tiny blemishes all over my song due to this.

Croaky Keith
10-04-2017, 03:42 AM
I used to get it when I first started, not sure if I actually did anything, or whether it was just my technique that improved.

But I still occasionally get it, & I think it is because I'm not lifting my fingers cleanly off the fretted string(s).
Sometimes I seem to pull off, & other times I think I twist as I'm lifting up my fingers, so I'd say to check if that is happening with your playing.

Hope you get it figured out. :)

Purpleorchid
10-04-2017, 06:42 AM
I got my book on the weekend. A fun book indeed! I'm waiting on the mp3s to see if I'm playing them correctly, but so far I'm just trying to play them all once through to get a feel of the arpeggios. I'm over half way through but I'm liking them all so far and can tell they will help me get better at playing the ukulele! Great book! Thanks Daniel!

AmandaJ
10-06-2017, 11:24 PM
I've just ordered the book after playing the first one for the last week or so. I've found it very relaxing so looking forward to trying out some of the ones in the book

Unfortunately it says it might take 1-2weeks to get to where I live. Hopefully it will arrive sooner!

strat4me
10-21-2017, 09:31 AM
The video tutorials are now posted on his website!

MopMan
10-21-2017, 09:36 AM
@strat4me - thanks for the alert! I have been waiting for this :D

TobyDog
10-23-2017, 02:28 AM
I was just about to buy it, and I decided to check out the videos for it first. Seems you have to pay for each piece individually, or pay a yearly rental fee.

My question: has anyone bought the videos, and are you able to download them when you buy?
thanks!

Went back to the video area and poked around, it looks like you 'rent' the videos for the fee, you don't get to download them. I don't like that.

MopMan
10-23-2017, 02:59 AM
@TobyDog. I didn't like that either, however after some thought I realized:

I have the book and I am studying it. Will I need to refer to an instructional video about these pieces more than a year into the future? Probably not.

So then I bought them anyway. It was only $7. That's less than lunch.

wildfire070
10-23-2017, 03:04 AM
In his pre-order email it says those who pre-ordered will get access to the videos for free. I sent an email to ask about it yesterday and waiting to hear back.

Edit: Got a reply with a code to use to stream the videos for a year. So if you pre-ordered, send him an email about getting access to the videos.

TobyDog
11-01-2017, 12:31 PM
Just received my book today (not a Pre-order). Despite my grumbling about having to pay for the videos, I am very happy with the book at this point - haven't played yet. But it looks great. I hope DW continues with his instructional books.

The main reason I wanted to be able to download the video, was to be able to access them offline.

Booksniffer
11-02-2017, 02:38 AM
Just received my book today (not a Pre-order). Despite my grumbling about having to pay for the videos, I am very happy with the book at this point - haven't played yet. But it looks great. I hope DW continues with his instructional books.

The main reason I wanted to be able to download the video, was to be able to access them offline.

TobyDog, if you install the Vimeo app, there is an option to save videos to watch offline. :)

TobyDog
11-02-2017, 09:00 AM
TobyDog, if you install the Vimeo app, there is an option to save videos to watch offline. :)

Thank you for the tip, BookSniffer! That will make my life easier:)