PDA

View Full Version : What tuner do you use?

strat4me
07-18-2017, 02:29 PM
I am currently using a Snark tuner but was wondering if there is a better tuner for the ukulele?

ksiegel
07-18-2017, 03:11 PM
I am currently using a Snark tuner but was wondering if there is a better tuner for the ukulele?

I started with Snark, now I use the Planet Waves/D'Addario tuners. I have one on each of my instruments.

-Kurt

strat4me
07-18-2017, 03:26 PM
Thank you Kurt, will check them out.

Rllink
07-18-2017, 03:45 PM
Eno ET-33. It came in a package with my first ukulele, before I ever heard of snark or planet waves. It is still going strong.

Booli
07-18-2017, 03:55 PM
I was using the D'Addario Planet Waves NS-Micro tuner, and after getting a half-dozen of them and keeping them on various ukes, I realized that the constant battery changing was costing me a small fortune. After about 30 days use, the batteries (in everything) in my house seem to go flat. Now they are all in a cigar box in my drawer, unused.
see here: https://www.amazon.com/DAddario-NS-Micro-Clip-On-Tuner/dp/B005FKF1PY

I grabbed one of the Reverb tuners when they went on sale for $1 with free shipping. It works well enough. Next time they went on sale, I bought myself a 5-pack as 'backups', none of which have even been opened yet and are in the drawer for when the first one I bought finally dies. It is still going strong 2 yrs later. Battery lasts a long while too, which is nice. see here: https://reverb.com/item/204704-reverb-clip-on-tuner

For an app, I like and used instuner on iOS. It has several different modes, including 2 'strobe tuner' modes, and was free when I bought it. see here: http://eumlab.com/instuner/

One of the things I like about instuner is that it shows the OCTAVE of the note you are in, which is very handy for string changes so you done overtune to an octave too high and pop a string from excessive tension.

Would that I could, I'd like to get the TC Electronic PolyTune clip-on ($49) which has a strobe mode, or the Peterson Clip-on Strobe Tuner ($79) but that's an awful lot for me to spend for precision that I can get from a free app.

Maybe if I win the lottery and after ALL debts are paid, I can 'splurge' on such a fancy tuner - LOL :)

Tenor
07-18-2017, 04:09 PM
I use a Snark tuner that I bought “new” for a low price on eBAY a coupla' years ago, and it still works ok; well enough for my purposes. FWIW, however, when first tried, its display was pretty dim, and before too long, the battery died. I'm guessing it may have been NOS (new old stock).
YMMV, but caveat emptor.

mikelz777
07-18-2017, 04:15 PM
I have a Snark which works very well and is still holding together. (5+ years) When I read about all the problems a lot of people seem to have with them breaking and falling apart it makes me wonder how they are being handled. It shouldn't be a problem at all if you handle it with the proper respect. I also use a Reverb which is another excellent tuner. I couldn't pass up the deal when they were selling for $1 with free shipping.

kohanmike
07-18-2017, 07:56 PM
I have probably a dozen Planet Waves/D'Addario mini tuners and the batteries last a very long time. You do have to be sure to turn them off when not tuning, I've noticed in my uke group that a few people leave on all through the hour rehearsal.

Down Up Dick
07-18-2017, 07:56 PM
I have a Snark tuner which I've had and used since I started on this Uke journey. It works fine without any breakage.

But, in a weak moment, I bought a Kala tuner that tunes in GCEA, ADF#B & Chromatic (I think), and isn't worth a bucket of spit. I threw it in my spare parts box and have only kept it because . . . I dunno.

Maybe, if folks wouldn't leave their Snarks attached all the time, they wouldn't break. I dunno . . . :old:

Debussychopin
07-18-2017, 08:07 PM
I use an app on the phone

Croaky Keith
07-18-2017, 10:02 PM
SNARK SN-6

It's had one battery change since December 2015, a couple of months ago.

(I did buy a couple of others, as backup, but haven't needed to use either, & one is still in its packaging.)

Graham Greenbag
07-18-2017, 10:28 PM
Good to know they work well. I looked at them a while ago Online, though didn't purchase one because I knew nothing about them. They are very reasonably priced from what I could see.

I too have a clip on eno et-33 which as I recall was bought off of Amazon for a good price (various sellers are there and the price was very variable). It has worked very well for me, is compact and seems reasonably robust; I bought a second eno when I mistakenly thought that the first one had died. Their button cell batteries do last (I think that the original factory battery supplied with it lasted about two years) and good quality replacements are cheap to buy. When the display eventually becomes dull and hard to see then replace the battery - don't bother checking its voltage with a multimeter - and the display will look even better than it did when the tuner was new.

I have a Korg free standing tuner that I use for other instruments and used with Uke's before I got the eno. It works just fine but is relatively bulky and can pick up background sounds. The Korg (CA-30) is about a decade old. I can't remember ever changing the battery on it and (for non Uke use) would replace it with another if lost or brocken.

kkimura
07-19-2017, 02:09 AM
I have, in order of acquisition, an Eno ET-3000+, Snark SN-6, a small tuning fork and a DAddario Planet Waves NS Micro. The Eno ET 3000+ is really a guitar tuner that also does chromatic but is too big to sit on the uke while playing. The Snark is great but I worry about breaking it. The tuning fork is probably the most accurate but you need a good ear and a quiet room to use it well. And that leaves the Planet Waves NS-Micro which is my "go-to" tuner these days because of it's small size and reasonable accuracy. As an aside, I've never had battery issues with any of these tuners least of all the tuning fork.

Choirguy
07-19-2017, 09:37 AM
I thought I would share a few observations. Reverb graciously donated tuners for all of our school ukuleles (I had been inquiring to purchase) and they are decent tuners. Some stop working, requiring the removal of the battery, then reinstallation. Problem fixed. Works every time. Batteries are the 2032s, which I buy at IKEA.

I also have a Snark SN-6 (older model), some D'Addario micro tuners (sound hole and mini clip) and had one break...excellent customer support from them. I also have a Joyo tuner that was an eBay purchase.

I tested all of these following Cool Cat's tuner review, and the most accurate was the D'Addario (consistent across a bunch of them) and then the Joyo. But every tuner will get you into decent tolerance of intonation. Only the best trained ears can do better on their own with a fork.

I have also had great experience with the Kala Tuner on my phone. This is a bad solution at a jam, but good at any other time. And it is free. It is nice to always have a tuner with me if I need it.

bighatbulls
07-19-2017, 11:24 AM
I like the Snark, but the thing I can not stand about it is the little rubber foot that is part of the clip. Once it start comes off, and IF you manage to get it back on the clip, its just a matter of time before the stinker comes off again, and you have to wrestle it back on.

I do not like playing with the snark on the uke. So when I am done tuning it goes back into the bag and in the case, unless I am breaking in new strings.

padlin
07-19-2017, 01:43 PM
I have a Snark, works fine. It has needed a new battery at one point over the last 2 years. Also have a couple of the Plant Waves Micros, the sound hole version keep falling in the sound hole on all 3 of my ukes and is a bit of a pain to turn on and off, I stopped using it. Their Micro headstock tuner works fine, and it's more hidden then the Snark, it needed a new battery after about 6 months. The Snark is easier to move between instruments. I have an app on my phone but I don't carry the phone with me all that much so the standalone tuners are more convenient.

janeray1940
07-19-2017, 04:14 PM
I was using the D'Addario Planet Waves NS-Micro tuner, and after getting a half-dozen of them and keeping them on various ukes, I realized that the constant battery changing was costing me a small fortune. After about 30 days use, the batteries (in everything) in my house seem to go flat.

I wonder what that's all about - I have 6 of those NS-Micros and I've only ever had to change one battery. And if you buy the batteries in bulk on Amazon, it cuts the small fortune down by about 50% of retail, with a lot less packaging.

ETA: worth mentioning - I always, always turn my tuners off the minute I'm done tuning. Drives me crazy to see those flashing lights when I play - but I wonder if this conserves battery life as well??

Choirguy
07-19-2017, 05:20 PM
He's on UU quite often, but it might be worth noting the Peterson clip on tuner that Barry Maz talked about as well. As a trained classical musician (band and choir), the reverence for the Peterson Strobe Tuner in the instrumental world is unmatched. These tuners still cost over $500 new, some significantly more than that.

They sell a clip-on with a strobe feature, about $78 (!) right now. It is likely more accurate than you'll ever need...but there you go.

Incidentally, Peterson also sells an app, and people are just as happy with their app as their desktop versions. In the instrumental world, people also adore the Tonal Energy Tuner. Just some more things to consider.

cyber3d
07-19-2017, 05:37 PM
There's always the good old pitch pipe! :D

TopDog
07-19-2017, 09:58 PM
I have a tuning fork,and a small clip on tuner called a 'Grafter'.
It is nothing special, but it does the job! I believe its simply a
generic tuner, mass produced in the east (as are so many things)
and it has never let me down.
But I prefer the tuning fork to be honest.Tune one string with it
and then tune up using 'relative tuning'. Suits me,and does not
scare the horses!

Rllink
07-20-2017, 03:32 AM
I have never had a snark, but my one and only ukulele student brought one the first day that she said belonged to her dad, who tried to learn to play the guitar at one time, and I could not figure out how to get it to tune a ukulele. It appeared to be specifically for guitars. Maybe not, but I didn't want to waste the lesson figuring it out. The next time she came with a brand new snark, and it actually seemed to be uke specific. I hardly looked at it as she had it figured out. So that was a few months ago, and last week she showed up and was using my eno. I asked her where her snark was and she told me that it broke. So while there are some people who seem to be able to keep a snark in one piece, the one that my student had didn't last long. Right now she is using an app. I have used an app on my phone before, but I tried to use it for a coffee shop open mic when I left my eno at home, and it picked up background noise and was quite erratic. I went into the restroom to tune, and then it worked fine.

Anyway, pitch pipes and tuning forks, I just don't get along with either and I have both. I do better tuning to my dog has fleas than I do trying to tune to a pitch pipe or trying to tune one string against another. Frankly, I think that I'm too lazy to make the effort for either of those methods. I just want to start playing, I don't want to make a production out of tuning my uke. My eno works well, it is quick, and I have learned to make to a point to not leave home without it.

Down Up Dick
07-20-2017, 04:03 AM
I've tried tuning by ear or with a tuning fork and then checking it with my Snark, and my tuning was waaay off. But, then, I'm an old geezer.

Out of tune musical instruments are just noise. :old:

bazmaz
07-20-2017, 05:21 AM
For super accurate tuning to check intonation etc - I use one of these

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2012/04/peterson-stroboclip-review.html

For day to day I use one of these micro tuners to get close and fine tune by ear

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2016/09/product-review-time-and-not-instrument.html

I used to buy Snarks, but gave up on them when I realised they just continually break on the ball and socket joint.

Down Up Dick
07-20-2017, 07:04 AM
If my Snark broke, I'd buy another one. :old:

Jim Yates
07-20-2017, 09:02 AM
I really like the red Snarks. I've found that they last well for me. I have lost the clip pad on one of them, but replaced it with a stick on chair pad from the dollar store. The dollar store is also where I get the spare batteries. They come in a three pack for $1.25. That's less than $.50 a piece. They are a lot more expensive if you get 'em from a music store.

Tootler
07-20-2017, 11:05 AM
I started with a snark and have two. The joint has broken on one but the other is still OK. I've tried various others and eventually settled on the D'Addario/Planet Waves Micro tuner and have one on most of my ukes. I find battery life to be pretty good. I buy my batteries in bulk from an on line battery store. I switch them off after tuning which I'm sure helps preserve battery life though most of these small electric gadgets have a timeout/auto off function to help preserve battery life.

kkimura
07-20-2017, 11:48 AM

LOL, I'm waiting for my Snark to break so I can buy another Planet Waves Micro. :D

mikelz777
07-20-2017, 12:17 PM
I'd bet a lot of people break their Snarks because they keep fiddling with and adjusting them and/or they don't respect the limitations of the adjustable mechanisms. My wife is such a person with a lot of mechanical things. She wants the mechanical thing to bend to her will and her way rather than she having to learn the mechanism and bend/yield to its limitations. I've had my Snark 5+ years and I've probably only adjusted it 2-3 times. Once it was adjusted to where I like it, I just clip it on the same way on multiple ukes and it's ready to go. Once the uke is tuned, the Snark comes off and is stored in the compartment of my uke's hard case.

Down Up Dick
07-20-2017, 12:33 PM
I'd bet a lot of people break their Snarks because they keep fiddling with and adjusting them and/or they don't respect the limitations of the adjustable mechanisms. My wife is such a person with a lot of mechanical things. She wants the mechanical thing to bend to her will and her way rather than she having to learn the mechanism and bend/yield to its limitations. I've had my Snark 5+ years and I've probably only adjusted it 2-3 times. Once it was adjusted to where I like it, I just clip it on the same way on multiple ukes and it's ready to go. Once the uke is tuned, the Snark comes off and is stored in the compartment of my uke's hard case.

Right on! Mike. :cheers: :old:

bazmaz
07-20-2017, 12:36 PM

i did - then got fed up of buying them over and over - the ones i buy not dont break!

bazmaz
07-20-2017, 12:37 PM
I'd bet a lot of people break their Snarks because they keep fiddling with and adjusting them

I think my experience was that if you gig with them every week for two years then you HAVE to fiddle with them - and then they break.

bazmaz
07-20-2017, 12:39 PM
Blimey - I ran in to some real Snark love here. All I did was answer a question

End of the day 99.9% of clip on tuners - Snark / D'addario / Korg / kala / whatever - are just rebrands of the same tech. If they use a needle system they are all kind of as accurate as each other. The D'Addarios I like are about the same price (shopping around) as Snarks and in fact most tuners.

Buy what you like - it's all cool.

ksiegel
07-20-2017, 12:40 PM
I wonder what that's all about - I have 6 of those NS-Micros and I've only ever had to change one battery. And if you buy the batteries in bulk on Amazon, it cuts the small fortune down by about 50% of retail, with a lot less packaging.

ETA: worth mentioning - I always, always turn my tuners off the minute I'm done tuning. Drives me crazy to see those flashing lights when I play - but I wonder if this conserves battery life as well??

I have to agree here - I have about 18 of the Planet waves tuners (almost one per uke, and I leave them in place), and only have to change batteries about every 6-8 months. The Snarks I was changing monthly. The batteries are the same as I use in my glucose meter, so I buy in bulk on Amazon, and always have enough, for cheap.

I do have a few Reverb tuners (never opened the packages), and a couple of Fishman tuners, but they are bulky, and battery hogs. My old Korg with the 1/4" jacks/mic is still usable, but huge by comparison, and I had a handful of tuning forks, all labeled "A440", but when I checked them all with the same electronic tuner, they varied from 428 to 438. None are truly 440. I gave the 428/432/436 forks to a friend to use in the science classes she teaches. (And I was really amazed that I was able to tell the difference between 438 and 432, even before I got my hearing aids!)

Which brings up another issue - New Hearing Aids. I thought one of my ukes had been damaged (after being outside, during a thunderstorm) because it sounded horrible, especially when ever I played a "G", regardless of where it was on the fret board. I kept hearing double tones, and they weren't complimentary. The uke group I was playing with that day said everything sounded just fine.

The next day, I noticed that the oven signal at work was now two tones, overlaying each other. I grabbed another uke, and the G was two tones.

Took the hearing aids out, and everything sounded good again.
The tuners showed all strings to be in tune, throughout the entire episode, even when my ears were telling me that there was a problem.

PeteyHoudini
07-20-2017, 02:11 PM
My favourite tuners are the "Intelli IMT 500." I've got three of them. Their display is very accurate and beautifully lit and it works best for me. It also flattens out in a case.

I have a Snark and it has never busted, but you have to bend it a lot when storing it and putting it back on the uke. They should call it "Snark Yoga" ;-) hehe I have no other issues with my Snark, but I mainly use the Intelli tuners.

Petey

ScooterD35
07-20-2017, 04:57 PM
I started out with an Intellitouch PT1 for my guitars. That worked very well for many years until it finally broke.

I owned two Snarks. One just stopped working, and the other spontaneously broke at the ball joint. Both went into the trash a long time ago.

I have a Peterson Stroboclip when I want something near perfect and four D'Addario micros for everything else. I also have D'Addario's free tuner app on my iPhone that does a fantastic job when I wander into a music store.

Oh... I also have a tie-dye Kala tuner that's pretty crappy, but it looks good in pictures on the headstock of my tie-dye concert Flea.

Scooter

Tootler
07-20-2017, 10:25 PM
I had a handful of tuning forks, all labeled "A440", but when I checked them all with the same electronic tuner, they varied from 428 to 438. None are truly 440. I gave the 428/432/436 forks to a friend to use in the science classes she teaches. (And I was really amazed that I was able to tell the difference between 438 and 432, even before I got my hearing aids.

I find that worrying and it makes a nonsense of the advice that the most accurate way to tune is with a tuning fork. If you are just playing solo, then it doesn't matter but if you are playing with others, then it's important you all use the same standard.

I usually tune with an electronic tuner, then check by ear and tweak as necessary. Electronic tuners make it so much easier to get an instrument basically in tune but it's always worth that final check.

ripock
07-21-2017, 03:46 AM
I find that worrying and it makes a nonsense of the advice that the most accurate way to tune is with a tuning fork. If you are just playing solo, then it doesn't matter but if you are playing with others, then it's important you all use the same standard.

I usually tune with an electronic tuner, then check by ear and tweak as necessary. Electronic tuners make it so much easier to get an instrument basically in tune but it's always worth that final check.

However, I have to admit that I have a certain modicum of reverence for those people who can naturally hear an "A", can tune their A string, and then can tune the other three strings to that A string. If I use a snark to get the A for me, I can do the rest...but I've not been able to do it from scratch.

Down Up Dick
07-21-2017, 03:58 AM
However, I have to admit that I have a certain modicum of reverence for those people who can naturally hear an "A", can tune their A string, and then can tune the other three strings to that A string. If I use a snark to get the A for me, I can do the rest...but I've not been able to do it from scratch.

Yeah, I have trouble with that too. Sometimes it sounds just right, but, when I check it, it's not. Ahhh, well . . . :old:

banditcosmo
07-21-2017, 04:11 AM
I just bought a KLIQ UberTuner during Amazon Prime day and I really like it. Nice large bright display and very accurate. I don't know about the battery yet as I've only had it a few weeks. It's a bit expensive but worth it.

KLIQ UberTuner (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O4L3F9E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

emarcano
07-22-2017, 06:30 AM
I've had several brands: One Lanikai that eats batteries like crazy, one Fender that's very slow in responding, one Planet Waves Micro which I don't find easy to zero in, the Reverb tuner which is rather dim even with new battery, etc. Then I have a Snark 6 which I love, fast, bright display, long battery life, no breakage, but did have the rubber pad come off.

The Snark was my favorite one until I found a rechargeable Tetra-Teknica. This has great display, easy to zero in and it lasts a long time with a charge. The display tells you how many cents you're away from the note. It uses the same USB connector as a cell phone to recharge. This is my new favorite. I'm not buying any other battery operated tuner.

I've place them all on instruments at the same time (up to 3 at a time) and they all agree on tuning, so they're all seem to be equally accurate. They just respond different and give you different information (display brightness, how close your are to the note, etc.)

Eugenio

DanY
07-24-2017, 05:54 PM
Ive got the Musedo T-64C tuner that I bought U-Space Ukulele in Los Angeles that Jason Arimoto recommended. No buttons to press, turns on automatically when you lift the display or off when you lower the display, and it just works great. It works for GCEA and Bb whereas my old one was GCEA only. Highly recommended.

Choirguy
07-24-2017, 06:41 PM
How long have you had the Tetra-Technica tuner? Reviews on Amazon are rather mixed. Do you have the tuner version or the tuner/metronome?

sculptor
07-25-2017, 10:46 PM
I've got two an O'ahu and a Korg PitchHawk U2. The Korg is better in that it has a bigger display, has different modes for different tunings and can be calibrated but the O'ahu is smaller and seems to work OK (they both agree on what's in tune.) I'm assuming the O'ahu which I got from HMS is a rebranded Chinese tuner of some sort.

-- Gary

Prattism@gmail.com
07-28-2017, 06:03 PM
I just bought a KLIQ UberTuner during Amazon Prime day and I really like it. Nice large bright display and very accurate. I don't know about the battery yet as I've only had it a few weeks. It's a bit expensive but worth it.

KLIQ UberTuner (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O4L3F9E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I have one of these as well and like it a lot. Eight D'Addario Micros on my most commonly used ukes, a couple of Snark SN-2 Chromatic Tuners for Guitars and Ukes with non-standard tunings, and the KLIQ Uber I use a lot when switching strings out in particular. Big easy to read display, fast to settle, and accurate. The D'Addario Micros are just so dang convenient, batteries averaging over 6 months (four of them are newer and haven't needed a change yet.)

player
07-28-2017, 10:44 PM
I have a freestanding Korg, didn't like the idea of clipping something to the uke. Playing by myself, does the job nicely.

emarcano
07-29-2017, 03:39 AM
How long have you had the Tetra-Technica tuner? Reviews on Amazon are rather mixed. Do you have the tuner version or the tuner/metronome?

I've had my Tetra-Technica since April. I have only had to charge it once. This is my favorite tuner now, although I'm still using the others as well, until they run out of battery. I like the display very much, as I said, it tells me how many cents I'm away from the note. It works great to check/fix intonation.

I'm not buying batteries any more.

I only have the tuner version. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J2OCQYW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rllink
07-29-2017, 03:45 AM
I have a modicum of impatience with people who think that they can naturally hear an A and then tune their other strings to it and really can't. Especially when I have to wait ten minutes for said person to not get his ukulele in tune before we can get started. There are some people who can, but there are a lot more people who think the can, but can't. Not starting a fight, just still frustrated from last night.

Booli
07-29-2017, 05:53 AM
I have a modicum of impatience with people who think that they can naturally hear an A and then tune their other strings to it and really can't. Especially when I have to wait ten minutes for said person to not get his ukulele in tune before we can get started. There are some people who can, but there are a lot more people who think the can, but can't. Not starting a fight, just still frustrated from last night.

Maybe in these cases it's more a matter of ego (or hubris), and admitting to others the inability of their own hearing perception to do it accurately.

YouTube is full of folks who think this way or believe that their tuner is lying to them, and after 10 seconds of listening to a player with a flat E string or sharp C string, I cannot close the browser tab fast enough, as it's line nails on a chalboard to me when the instrument is +/- 15 cents out of tune, yet the person yammers on, way out of tune...

If I am in a group setting, either everyone tunes electronically to some standard, hopefully A-440, otherwise I will just leave.

Maybe it's harsh or intolerant, but often I find the arrogance of not wanting to be in tune, and/or the willful ignorance of WHY it is important on part of other folks in the group, usually manifests in other personality deficits later on, and then the whole experience just becomes sour for all involved, even if I say NOTHING and try to live through the auditory torture.

OTOH, maybe it's just me and I've become a miserable, rotten, sociopathic person in my mid-life age...LOL

Down Up Dick
07-29-2017, 06:07 AM
Tuning nuisances are maybe one of the best reasons for just playing for my own amazement. I tune, most of the time, but, if I just pick up a uke and play, I probably can't hear if the tuning is perfect anyway.

Every cloud has a silver lining . . . :old:

Nickie
07-29-2017, 06:27 AM
Maybe in these cases it's more a matter of ego (or hubris), and admitting to others the inability of their own hearing perception to do it accurately.

YouTube is full of folks who think this way or believe that their tuner is lying to them, and after 10 seconds of listening to a player with a flat E string or sharp C string, I cannot close the browser tab fast enough, as it's line nails on a chalboard to me when the instrument is +/- 15 cents out of tune, yet the person yammers on, way out of tune...

If I am in a group setting, either everyone tunes electronically to some standard, hopefully A-440, otherwise I will just leave.

Maybe it's harsh or intolerant, but often I find the arrogance of not wanting to be in tune, and/or the willful ignorance of WHY it is important on part of other folks in the group, usually manifests in other personality deficits later on, and then the whole experience just becomes sour for all involved, even if I say NOTHING and try to live through the auditory torture.

OTOH, maybe it's just me and I've become a miserable, rotten, sociopathic person in my mid-life age...LOL

I hear ya. When I lead the jam sessions, if I hear an outta tune uke, I'll stop, try to find it, and before the next song, help them tune it. Same in the beginner workshops. If people refuse to tune in, I'm not sure what I'd do, probably confiscate the damn uke, Booli. Playin out of tune just stinks for the whole room.

Booli
07-29-2017, 12:18 PM
...Playin out of tune just stinks for the whole room.

It's kinda like someone just went to Taco Bell and ate $40 worth of bean burritos...

I mean the "sound : stink" thing

Is there a group jam song about methane gas?

Rllink
07-29-2017, 12:24 PM

I think that some people find a zen in the process of tuning. It is interesting how much effort that one can put into the ukulele that does not actually involve playing it.

ripock
07-29-2017, 04:27 PM

It is certainly a place when "gnothi seauton" applies. I have to laugh imagining you and Booli here right now. My alcoholic neighbor is evidently tipsy and singing 80's power ballads. It would be bad form to attach a snark to him, but I would estimate his straining voice is two or three half-steps away from being in tune. Oh goodness, he just started singing some Goo-Goo Dolls ballad. I am signing off to go to my front porch where the street noise will protect me and let me practice some chords in peace.

Booli
07-30-2017, 04:19 AM
It is certainly a place when "gnothi seauton" applies. I have to laugh imagining you and Booli here right now. My alcoholic neighbor is evidently tipsy and singing 80's power ballads. It would be bad form to attach a snark to him, but I would estimate his straining voice is two or three half-steps away from being in tune. Oh goodness, he just started singing some Goo-Goo Dolls ballad. I am signing off to go to my front porch where the street noise will protect me and let me practice some chords in peace.

ha ha - yes - side story:

When in college, in the dorm, was faced with a similar person who believed that they were to become the next Frank Sinatra, but was painfully tone deaf, and would practice all hours of day and night with a PA system in his room, much to the chagrin of everyone in earshot -

At the time, a committee-agreed-upon solution was to get a recording of Shepard Tones and play the recording on an endless loop via a 1,000 watt amp into a 15" subwoofer that was acoustically coupled to the wall shared with the singer's room (via hot glue)...this ran for about 72 hrs non-stop, and after stuff started falling off the hooks in his room and items rattling off his desk, he came to investigate. A group of us had a nice chat with him about use of the soundproof rooms offered in the school's music department...the singing never occurred in the dorm again, but that equipment was re-used for similar offenders later on...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepard_tone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzNzgsAE4F0

nowadays when I am exposed to offensive sound that I cannot ignore or remove myself from, I have a 60 minute recording of "brown noise" that I can listen to in headphones. Brown noise is a kind of 'static' that is similar to the sound of being in an airplane, that low-frequncy SSSHHHH sound, and is very effective in masking and blocking other sound from entering your brain...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownian_noise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSaJXDsb3N8 (you may have to turn up your volume to hear it well)

Rllink
07-30-2017, 06:32 AM
I, for one, am not real adept at tuning one string against another. Or tuning to a pitch pipe. I sit there for a long time plucking away, and when I think that I might have it, I put my electric tuner on it and find out that I'm not even close. Perhaps a little more effort on my part would improve it, but alas, I'm just not into the art of tuning. I'm just in a hurry to play. But as long as we are on the subject, I wonder before the advent of the electric tuner, how many people just gave up playing stringed instruments because tuning was such a pain in the butt? I know that thirty years ago I tried playing my wife's guitar, and I just got frustrated with trying to get it in tune all of the time before I could even start playing it. And I had just put new strings on it, so that wasn't helping. I wonder, if there had been electric tuners readily available back then, would I be a guitar player today, instead of a ukulele player?

Croaky Keith
07-30-2017, 07:40 AM
I had to tune strings to each other back in the day when there were no (electronic) tuners, it certainly didn't enamour me to playing guitar, but the killer was the string tension.

Prattism@gmail.com
07-30-2017, 11:50 AM
I, for one, am not real adept at tuning one string against another. Or tuning to a pitch pipe. I sit there for a long time plucking away, and when I think that I might have it, I put my electric tuner on it and find out that I'm not even close. Perhaps a little more effort on my part would improve it, but alas, I'm just not into the art of tuning. I'm just in a hurry to play. But as long as we are on the subject, I wonder before the advent of the electric tuner, how many people just gave up playing stringed instruments because tuning was such a pain in the butt? I know that thirty years ago I tried playing my wife's guitar, and I just got frustrated with trying to get it in tune all of the time before I could even start playing it. And I had just put new strings on it, so that wasn't helping. I wonder, if there had been electric tuners readily available back then, would I be a guitar player today, instead of a ukulele player?

Back in the early 70's we were taught to tune to the teacher's guitar's top string, and then tune the strings against each other. Even at home we were told to tune the top string to a piano (if we had one) and tune the strings to each other. In the long run, the guitars were commonly out of tune but in tune to the other strings. It sounded fine at home since I had far from perfect pitch, but in class it sounded horrible. The first five minutes of each semi-private lesson (3 students) was spent tuning before showing the practice results and learning something new. Then at home we'd slowly get out of tune. Rinse and repeat. At least I grew very adept at tuning a guitar (and eventually a ukulele) to itself.

The idea of actually using a tuner, actually being in tune, and even more so, using a capo or transposition to play along with a record, eigth track, or cassette was mind-boggling.

CeeJay
07-30-2017, 01:31 PM
What tuner do you use?

Tinned,sustainable,line caught.......bugger.....wrong again Dad.

ksiegel
07-30-2017, 01:46 PM

You say both of those like they are Bad Things...

I have to admit, Back In The Day tuning up and playing with others was slow and tortuous. Now, with the elecronic tuners, it is pretty damned quick.

And once one of us is in tune, if someone (usually a fiddle player) asks for a note (Can I have a G, Please?) one person usually starts playing it, then everyone else tunes to that person - and with the electronic s, we are all usually dead on.

Not always, but that's a different story...

-Kurt

Booli
07-30-2017, 03:06 PM
Tuners are tuners...You can stop worrying about the tuner and get on with the music.

Bill, I think you've made some valid points, but some of us like toys and gadgets and most tuners are cheap enough to own more than one.

As has been said before, if/when playing solo, you can just tune the uke to itself even if by ear your A string is flat and at 436hz or whatever, nobody can hear you and criticize you for not being on A-440hz and when you fret the second fret on the G string to tune relative, some folks lack the hearing perception to do something like that, and this may be a factor of age, nerve damage caused by health issues or other factors.

But in a group setting, for me, and maybe I'm just evil, I feel that there is no excuse for each person in the group to avoid tuning to a known good reference, as quickly as possible, whether it's an open mic night or an old-folks home or a charity event, and none of them are paid gigs, we as uke players owe it to each other to give a performance such that the audience lets go of the common (and flawed thinking) that a ukulele is just a plinky toy for hula music and Tiny Tim comedic imitations - but this is all just my IMHO and I respect yours, even if it differs...

You say both of those like they are Bad Things...

Thanks Kurt. Some folks I know might want to (incorrectly) paint me as the guy with sandals and knee-high black socks in Bermuda shorts shaking my fist in the air and yelling at the neighborhood kids to GET OFF MY LAWN!

So I try to be ever-mindful of not becoming evil or a sociopath. Hopefully I am succeeding, day by day. :)

Croaky Keith
07-30-2017, 09:28 PM
What tuner do you use?

Tinned,sustainable,line caught.......bugger.....wrong again Dad.

Salmon of us don't like Tuna. ;)

Ukecaster
07-31-2017, 05:17 AM
When, in a pinch, with no tuners or reference points, I'll use a landline telephone dialtone, which is the F note. I'll just fret the E string at the 1st fret, matching the dialtone, then tune the other strings by ear, relative to the E.

Rllink
07-31-2017, 05:34 AM
When, in a pinch, with no tuners or reference points, I'll use a landline telephone dialtone, which is the F note. I'll just fret the E string at the 1st fret, matching the dialtone, then tune the other strings by ear, relative to the E.I've yet to see anyone comment on phone apps. In a pinch I go to the phone in my pocket that has a tuning app. It works pretty well, unless there is a lot of background noise, then it picks up the background noise.

Ukecaster
07-31-2017, 07:52 AM
I've yet to see anyone comment on phone apps. In a pinch I go to the phone in my pocket that has a tuning app. It works pretty well, unless there is a lot of background noise, then it picks up the background noise.

+1 on that. I have Guitar Tuna on my phone, you can set for uke, as well as guitar.

Joe King
08-01-2017, 02:44 AM
I dont use a tuner. I use a pitch pipe,
or I tune the A string to A4 on my
digital piano and then I tune the rest
of the strings relative to that.

There is a reason that orchestra uses
A-440 for concert pitch standard,
so that is what I do.

bellgamin
08-02-2017, 11:10 AM
I mostly play 8-string ukes, tenor & baritone. 1 & 2 are unison. 3&4 are octave. Tuning is much more critical than with a 4 string uke, especially the 3rd string octave pair. Even a fraction off from each other & they sound horribly cacophonous.

A while ago I discovered something odd -- but it's probably old news to those who play better than I do -- i.e., 99.9999% of ukers. To illustrate, I tuned an open A string so that it was dead center on a CliQ tuner. But it was a trifle flat on 5th & 12th frets, so I slowly got it into the green zone on 5th & 12th. I then supposed the open A might be a tad sharp, but it was still dead center. Go figure.

Because of that discovery, I switched to a Crescendo ZenStrobe clip-on tuner in an on-going search for *perfect* tuning all the way up the fretboard. When I told about that search to my music teacher, she said my search is futile because the fret spacing on guitars & ukes is set up for "equal temperament" (huh?). Therefore, EVERY key is very slightly out of tune, no matter how accurate your tuner.

I have little or no idea what she was talking about. Maybe Booli will translate?

Dean Beaver
08-02-2017, 05:12 PM
Bellgamin,

basically explaining,
the frets are set at a specific ratio, the ratio is determined specifically to work in the Chromatic Scale, so no matter whether it refers to a Guitar, Uke, Mandolin etc, as long as the instrument is set to operate on Chromatic Scale it will be set to this ratio, it's why people playing Guitars, Ukes, Mandolins etc can all play together in a band or recording etc. It's why an experienced and knowledgeable person can play Guitar and then translate the same method to Ukulele simply by figuring out where the Root Note is.
With Music, It's all relative.
It's why a qualified music teacher can teach music to a class of various instrumentalists at the same time without altering theory for any of them, and likewise why a highly experienced instrumentalist is able to understand and play so many instruments, and it's why music works harmoniously even in a symphony orchestra with so many different instruments being played in sync.
If the ratios were different in each instrument it would not work in the relative relationship, and people playing Guitars, Ukuleles, Mandolins and even Pianos and Keyboards and more would not be able to play together, harmoniously, in a group or ensemble.

For example, working on the Chromatic Scale formula ,..
take any scale from Nut (O Fret) to Saddle, divide by 17.835 and you acquire the distance to Fret 1.
Then, take the measurement from Fret 1 to Saddle, divide by 17.835 and you acquire the distance to Fret 2.
Then, take the measurement from Fret 2 to Saddle, divide by 17.835, and you acquire the distance to Fret 3.
So on and So on up the fretboard to the end, and the 12th Fret should be mid-point between Nut (0 Fret) and Saddle.

So the "Equal Temperament" most likely refers to this specific ratio, You should be able to clearly observe the pattern by now.

The actual measurement from Nut to Fret 1, on a total 38cm scale, for example, actually calculates to 2.130642 cm or 21.30642 mm , so you can likley imagine how difficult it is to get each and every fret on a fretboard to such an exact measurement. I don't know if you can imagine what .30642 mm is like or how difficult it would be to fix a single fret in such an exact position, let alone 18 Frets being placed exactly, the last fraction of the measurement is probably like a hair on a baby flea. Putting it another way, could you or anyone else you know determine the difference if it was supposed to be set at 21.30642 mm but was actually set at 21.30645 mm , I know I wouldn't, though a precision technological device possibly might depending exactly how precise that device is. Does 0.00003 mm difference even matter soundwise ? Not to my human ears, at least not that I could tell.
I think most of the time these actual placements would likely be physically inexact on a finished fretboard, though a good experienced luthier, or instrument builder, will obviously get them close enough for the difference to not be significant. I'm quite sure even if using a technologically advanced precision laser to measure, each fret would still be required to be positioned and set by hand.

The only time I've personally known this to not occur was with a person I knew who Re-Fretted his own Classical Guitar to measure some odd or ancient scale that was not Chromatic but rather a specific scale for his desired purpose, it's some scale that's used in old gypsy type music or something like that . The Frets were all over the show up the fretboard, but he'd done it very efficiently nonetheless despite the odd appearance. He is one of those extremely clued on people with Guitars. You would probably see similar odd scales on other instruments such as a Sitar or similar, which are specifically calculated to a particular scale, for example.

Now, I'm not the music teacher who originally made such comment, so I can only suppose this is what she is referring to in this regard. I can't think of much else that would relate to equal temperament in relationship with tuning.

Happy Ukeing :)

Dean Beaver
08-02-2017, 11:57 PM
Nice straightforward explanation there Bill1 ...

So, I guess conclusively, it's important to have at least Good Intonation on your set instrument, which will likely be most noticeable in the presence of other instruments/vocals if there is significant difference in standard, or even if the instrument is played solitary it will likely be unpleasant to the ears.
Also, that Tuners can vary, and having a decent tuner is beneficial to read and display the correct frequency accurately.

I'm just guessing, but let me know if I'm on the right track ... :)

Booli
08-03-2017, 02:22 AM
Good explanations there from Dean and Bill...

What I have come to understand, is that parallel frets are a compromise based upon all of the science mentioned above, and that if you want to get closer to perfect intonation, due to relative differing string materials (esp wound vs. non-wound), diameters and tensions, non-parallel frets or 'fanned frets' will improved the whole situation...

and this opens a Pandora's Box regarding 'multi-scale' fretboards, which I am not well-versed enough to explain simply.

One takeaway is that the design/engineering of fanned frets differs a bit from it's application on steel vs. nylon strings.

some links to help explain:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-scale_fingerboard

http://theartoflutherie.com/fanned-fret-guitars/

bellgamin
08-03-2017, 11:56 AM
@ Dean, Bill, Booli -- 10Q!!! I am getting a most enjoyable education. I just hope my 86-year-old brain can process.

Question to those who suggested concert strings for low tension -- I'm curious as to why concert strings are low tension if put on a tenor? It is a puzzlement.

Olarte
08-04-2017, 05:35 AM
I like the Dario mini tuner and the iPhone ukulele toolkit.

But after a lifetime of music I rune the first string then the rest to it by ear then play a few chords

I Developed this technique because I was running a volunteer group I call "Peace love and ukulele - Healing Through Music"

And had to learn to tune a dozen watermans within a couple of minutes. Besides it impresses the students and makes them motivated.

Booli
08-04-2017, 06:31 AM
...Question to those who suggested concert strings for low tension -- I'm curious as to why concert strings are low tension if put on a tenor? It is a puzzlement.

See my signature, links and text -

But, in short, thinner strings have lower linear density, and thus have lower tension at the same scale length as thicker strings (which have higher linear density)....

edited to add - this is USUALLY when comparing strings of the same material composition, nylon vs. nylon and fluoro vs. fluoro, but an exception also for nylon vs. fluoro since nylon nearly always has lower linear density than fluoro, and thus nylon strings are nearly always thicker than fluoro...

Dean Beaver
08-04-2017, 07:56 PM
I like the Dario mini tuner and the iPhone ukulele toolkit.

But after a lifetime of music I rune the first string then the rest to it by ear then play a few chords

I Developed this technique because I was running a volunteer group I call "Peace love and ukulele - Healing Through Music"

And had to learn to tune a dozen watermans within a couple of minutes. Besides it impresses the students and makes them motivated.

Yeh I'm pretty impressed when I see people playing or tuning by ear on the spot, I don't have a great ear for it but I think it gets better to various extent as you go.
Interesting is that relationship between the ear and the frequency of the note/s.
Where our ideas and perspectives may vary, and even tuners may vary in accuracy, the relationship between the note/s and ear is a trustworthy and dependable method of discernment which is in common, so it's a good way to acquire relative tuning outcome in instruments, and cultivate an ear.
Just something I've paid a bit more attention in recent last years, and had opportunities to learn, something I never really comprehended at an earlier stage, though always learning as it goes ...

Happy Ukeing ...

Tootler
08-04-2017, 10:46 PM
See my signature, links and text -

But, in short, thinner strings have lower linear density, and thus have lower tension at the same scale length as thicker strings (which have higher linear density)....

edited to add - this is USUALLY when comparing strings of the same material composition, nylon vs. nylon and fluoro vs. fluoro, but an exception also for nylon vs. fluoro since nylon nearly always has lower linear density than fluoro, and thus nylon strings are nearly always thicker than fluoro...

You've complicated that last bit somewhat Booli. Fluorocarbon polymer has a higher density than nylon polymer so fluorocarbon strings can be thinner to achieve the same pitch at the same scale length. Nylon compositions such as nylgut will have slightly different densities than pure nylon because of the fillers added to achieve particular acoustic properties but the differences are quite small so you probably wouldn't notice difference in tension between a pure nylon string and one made from a nylon composition.

dinghy
08-05-2017, 08:49 AM
ahoy

Snark tuner/metronome
have three of them

yours truly
mac

strumsilly
08-06-2017, 03:39 AM
I have a few Snarks and they are OK, but I don't like it that they don't fold flat and are easy to break the ears of the socket. I have an Intellituner that does fold flat , has a stronger joint and prefer it. It is my oldest tuner and will probably outlast the newer Snarks. more expensive , but will last a lot longer.
https://www.amazon.com/Intelli-IMT500-Chromatic-Digital-Strings/dp/B002Q0WSO8

bellgamin
08-07-2017, 11:57 PM
I use Electric Tuna, made by Fishman..... but seriously, the Crescendo Zen Strobe tuner is super accuate & inexpensive. I bought mine from Amazon.

Iza
08-13-2017, 06:07 AM
Still this: https://uke-tuner.com/
It does its job although it takes some time.
I want to get a tuner, because I don't always have internet obviously.

scottcocoabeach
08-21-2017, 07:05 AM
I hear ya. When I lead the jam sessions, if I hear an outta tune uke, I'll stop, try to find it, and before the next song, help them tune it. Same in the beginner workshops. If people refuse to tune in, I'm not sure what I'd do, probably confiscate the damn uke, Booli. Playin out of tune just stinks for the whole room.

Hi Nickie,

When I read this post I immediately thought of the movie "Whiplash" and it definitely made me laugh. Sometimes I feel like I spend more time tuning than playing. It drives me crazy when I see a video posted and the instruments out of tune.

scottcocoabeach
08-21-2017, 07:15 AM
I'm really surprised no one has mentioned the PolyTune Clip. They make it in black now in addition to white. They are more expensive than most mentioned here but I find it better than the less expensive options. I just ordered a Peterson Stroboclip SC-1 as well to try. PolyTune's are about $50 online and the Peterson is $80. If you get Guitar Center or others coupons you can usually save 15% on either of these and get free shipping.

Tuning on the 12th fret using overtones can be helpful as well.

Jarmo_S
08-23-2017, 11:24 AM
I am new to ukulele, about 2.5 weeks, but not to guitar like instruments.
For tuning I use my Android Tablet or phone and a free application DaTuner.

I could maybe get some tuner attached to my uke, as i always need to unlock the android with pattern, gets a bit much if done many times daily as nylon strings do creep and uke needs constant retuning. But I like the accuracy of DaTuner.

I tune the first string about 2.5 cents below standard 440 Hz, Same goes to the 4th g string. These strings are the thinnest.
The middle strings I try to tune less thn but about 5 cents below the standard.

Why below? There is the nut and tension we cause to strings pressing down near it. Also my experience from my guitars. Depending of the uke those values could be different or if you want somewhat equal temperament in upper frets and in the end all depends of the instrument in case.

AlohaKine
08-31-2017, 12:59 PM
Snark all the way! :)

Jarmo_S
09-12-2017, 01:44 AM
I got today Boss TU-01. This miniature clip-on tuner is chromatic. It has also Guitar, Bass and Ukulele modes. I prefer the default chromatic mode.

Will see how long it lasts. I compared it to DaTuner (ref. A4 set to 440Hz) phone microphone using app and both gave the same tuning within 5 cents. It is good to have a phone app as a backup.

Down Up Dick
09-17-2017, 10:14 AM
Usually, "Chicken-of-the-Sea". It's good on toast with olives or chopped up apple--YUM! :old:

Rllink
09-18-2017, 07:46 AM
So how many here are just using the tuner that came in a package with their first ukulele, compared with how many went through a long and detailed process to find exactly the best tuner? How many here just have a case of TAS?

Croaky Keith
09-18-2017, 07:51 AM
:) I went back to my Snark, after trying another tuner, the Snark was quicker acting, almost 2 years using it now, just changed the battery a month or so ago..

Tootler
09-25-2017, 10:13 PM
So how many here are just using the tuner that came in a package with their first ukulele, compared with how many went through a long and detailed process to find exactly the best tuner? How many here just have a case of TAS?

A lot of trying different ones to find what suits me best and a little of TAS. I eventually settled on the Planet Waves NS and have them on most of my ukes now as I can just leave them on.

I have a lot of redundant tuners now though I am doing a ukulele "taster day" today, so they could prove useful.

Barrytone
09-26-2017, 12:12 AM
Anybody remember "the good old days" when jamming and the cry would go up, "someone give me a G?"

peanuts56
09-26-2017, 02:00 AM
Started using a Snark a few months back. So far so good
I was watching PBS a few nights back and saw a group called The Mavericks. They had 2 horns, a tenor sax and trumpet. The trumpeter had a Snark attached to his horn. Interested me as I'm also a trumpeter.
I had never heard of this group and really enjoyed their performance. They kind of reminded me of Roomful Of Blues when Duke Robilard fronted the band They were on a program called Bluegrass Underground. It's a 30 minute program, wished it had been longer.

kitsunegarcia
09-26-2017, 09:26 AM
I keep using a Snark even though they keep breaking. I don't know what is up with them. They just stop working. People tell me it must be low battery and I change the battery and it still doesn't turn back on. I also have some tuner apps on the phone and a cheap off brand that came with the cheap-uleles.

Rllink
09-26-2017, 10:25 AM
Anybody remember "the good old days" when jamming and the cry would go up, "someone give me a G?"We still have one of those. We bought him a tuner, but he won't use it. :D

1931jim
09-26-2017, 12:21 PM

My pitch pipe and my A 440 fork.
Grandkids say........"That's cute grandpa. It doesn't even have batteries. You're smart grandpa."

Happymess
11-05-2017, 12:14 PM
Eno ET-33. It came in a package with my first ukulele, before I ever heard of snark or planet waves. It is still going strong.

Yes this is what i use, been solid no problems very cheap it also can tune different stringed instruments as well

Santa
11-05-2017, 01:58 PM
I keep using a Snark even though they keep breaking. I don't know what is up with them. They just stop working. People tell me it must be low battery and I change the battery and it still doesn't turn back on. I also have some tuner apps on the phone and a cheap off brand that came with the cheap-uleles.

I've heard this before (Snark tuners breaking) I'm wondering just how and where they break? I have a number of family members that use them, have yet to see one break.:)

Inksplosive AL
11-05-2017, 02:22 PM
Korg PC1

https://www.amazon.com/Korg-PITCHCLIP-Low-Profile-Clip-On-Tuner/dp/B004VVFZHW/ref=pd_day0_267_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004VVFZHW&pd_rd_r=BV8DFERCFJ8E9MSPX775&pd_rd_w=ScRlb&pd_rd_wg=qFHn4&psc=1&refRID=BV8DFERCFJ8E9MSPX775

Louis0815
11-06-2017, 01:34 AM
I use either the built-in tuner or Planet Waves Mini, simply because these can reside on the headstock and thus are always where I need them.
Using a removable tuner sooner or later results in the tuner being out of reach, at least for me. Loose things tend to get lost.....

RafterGirl
11-06-2017, 07:01 AM
Korg PC1

https://www.amazon.com/Korg-PITCHCLIP-Low-Profile-Clip-On-Tuner/dp/B004VVFZHW/ref=pd_day0_267_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004VVFZHW&pd_rd_r=BV8DFERCFJ8E9MSPX775&pd_rd_w=ScRlb&pd_rd_wg=qFHn4&psc=1&refRID=BV8DFERCFJ8E9MSPX775
I bought one of these a few days ago from a local music shop. I normally use a Snark, but wanted something more low profile to tuck into the small pocket on my soprano gig bag. I can't get used to the Korg. It seems to jump back and forth between too flat & too sharp and never lands on the solid green light. Also, the G looks almost the same as the C on the display. I have a couple of the Planet Waves Eclipse tuners on order from Amazon to try out.

robedney
11-06-2017, 10:12 AM
Because the distributor we get violin bits and pieces from also sells Snarks I get them cheap. In fact, I carry them around with me and give them away if someone comes up short a tuner. One lives in my shop drawer and has been abused in all sorts of ways. It still works. One battery change I can remember. For the money, Snarks are my favorite, even if you pay full retail.

I also have an NS Micro sound hole tuner and it's really a very nice solution -- aside from putting it on and keeping it on. If I were a gigging musician this would be my first choice, and I'd do a little fiddling to make it a snug fit. Because I walk around with one of the carbon fiber hybrid ukes I'm just about done prototyping the MS Micro is a no-go. When someone asks about the uke I can seldom resist banging it on a tabletop or chair back to make the point about durability. Everyone jumps when I do this, every time. If I've been dumb enough to do this with the NS Micro in place, it jumps too, either onto the floor or into the uke. Oh bother. However, despite this sort of senseless abuse it still works.

RafterGirl
11-09-2017, 03:47 PM
Big thumbs up on the D'Addario Planet Waves Eclipse tuners. Mine arrive from Amazon today and I like them a lot. Compact, yet easy to read. They clip on and swivel for easy viewing. The tuner is very easy to tell whether you are flat, sharp, or locked in. The smaller size fits much better in my soprano gig bag zipper pocket, and it's less bulky to leave on the headstock while playing.

actadh
11-09-2017, 06:45 PM
Reverb tuners for me. They do everything I want them to do, and are really sturdy and inexpensive. Had the blue and black Snark and gave them away to family starting to play the ukulele as they are easier for a newbie. Still have the red Snark, my favorite of that brand, but it seems to go through batteries faster than the Reverb ones.

Dansimpson
11-23-2017, 12:59 PM
First one I bought was a Tanglewood TCT25 ... I've since figured out the TCT stands for Totally Crap Tuner!
Now use a Snark, don't need owt else :-)

AlohaKine
11-29-2017, 01:37 PM
I didn't look at all the posts, but did anyone mention the iPhone App 'Ukulele Toolkit'?

This thing looks amazing;

http://eumlab.com/ukulele-toolkit/

I might check this out, has anyone used this?

MopMan
11-29-2017, 05:17 PM
Snark is good enough for me. I just ordered three more at $7.00 apeice on Amazon for Cyber Monday. I don't even need them all but at $7.00 each I'd feel a fool not to buy a few.

New uke? Fresh tuner. Now I can put one in each case and not have to think about tuners anymore.

Inksplosive AL
12-01-2017, 02:53 PM
See I bought a handful of the first gen micro tuners awhile back and put one on every uke I use. Guess what... I replaced a handful of batteries way to quickly. So the Korg PC1 it is... is it a bit jumpy or imperfect *shrugs* I guess I tune a bit looser than most.

Since using one tuner I have a handful of fresh batteries waiting for use. In a pinch when I'm not at home forgetting the tuner I use a free android app called DaTuner lite (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bork.dsp.datuna&hl=en). It is the only tuner installed on my devices.

~peace~

XLady Lavenderx
06-23-2018, 04:54 PM
i use kala app tuning,enya tuner and snark tuner

Jarmo_S
06-26-2018, 02:59 AM
The Boss TU-01 that I got according to this thread at 12th september last year broke a few days ago. It was nice, though poor battery holder. I used it very much so I did not bother to ask quarantee compensation. The power button just broke from my excess usage.

The new one is somewhat more higher end one, TC Electronic UniTune clip. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UniTuneClip--tc-electronic-unitune-clip-clip-on-chromatic-tuner
The price was 35€ at the local music store in Finland.
I like it already a lot and I am mainly using the default "needle" mode instead the "strobe" one that is supposed to be even more accurate. Problem is that uke strings are sometimes themselves not so accurate so that kind of extra is in my opinion not needed.

So easy with just colors tell if a note is exactly in tune or slightly low or high.

Mivo
06-26-2018, 02:33 PM
I have been using the same inexpensive clip-on tuner for the past 5+ years, an Eno ET-33. It's the "few dollars" kind. I bought a second, identical one a couple years ago, but it didn't seem as responsive. I also bought a €60 Polytune clip-on tuner, which I liked less than the cheapo and pretty much never use. (I also use the Tunable app for iOS/Android when I restring, and I have a tuning fork I'd like to master.)

Jarmo_S
06-26-2018, 06:35 PM
I've still got a Korg tuner that I bought in the 70s, I might give it to our local museum! :D

I have too, Korg Micro Six (Korg GT-6J) and it is sill working! The built in microphone is a somewhat temperamental and I need to blow in it sometimes, but the guitar cable jack connection works flawlessly. Mine was bought 15th september 1984, https://offerup.com/item/detail/439874598/

As you can see from the small display. the time has gone and it is no more accurate enough on modern day standards. And no chromatic mode, only guitar one. Is I think also applicable down to bass range also with the jack input.

The modern clip-on tuners are so handy because you can tune acoustic instruments with them in noisy environments :)

ukuleleabe
06-27-2018, 02:30 PM
I use a D’addario mini tuner on the headstock of my teaching uke. Then I have a Peterson clip on tuner that I use for everything else.

Choir guy on here turned me on to Roadie 2 tuners for tuning classroom ukes very quickly and I’ve been having fun with it quickly changing timings on my own ukes.

joakiml
07-02-2018, 10:20 AM
As many others, I too use the D'Addario mini tuners. I like the fact that they are small but I have experienced that they have a tendency to "rattle", which can be annoying...

ukuleleabe
07-08-2018, 11:11 AM
As many others, I too use the D'Addario mini tuners. I like the fact that they are small but I have experienced that they have a tendency to "rattle", which can be annoying...

I know what you mean with the rattle. I put a piece of clear tape over the buttons on mine to stop that.

joakiml
07-08-2018, 08:17 PM
I know what you mean with the rattle. I put a piece of clear tape over the buttons on mine to stop that.

That's a great idea, will give it a try.

Thanks!

willisoften
07-21-2018, 05:33 AM
I used a snark for a while but when out and about I broke a couple. I started using a Boss TU10 bought in 2013 and still going strong.

willisoften
07-23-2018, 01:48 AM

I can tune off a tuning fork, but I wouldn't do it in a group it takes me too long, and I am getting older and not as accurate as I once was. I've met a lot of people how claim that tuners were a waste of money. I remember someone being given a tuner during a strum-along and taking "The hump" and he was shockingly out of tune, opinionated and always disappeared before his round was due. So I think your spot on. Any way I've been a miserable intolerant git since I hit 40 it's my birthright!

ampeep
07-23-2018, 06:37 AM
After my old tuner broke I got a korg - It's not a clip on tuner. It's very accurate & durable as I've dropped it a number of times.

Used to jam with up to 15 guitars - when electronic tuners became available, it made a whole lot of difference. We thought we were in tune but that sure wasn't the case!

Brad Bordessa
07-23-2018, 04:30 PM
Another NS Mini user here.

Just got a Polytune 2 Mini from TC Electronics for my pedalboard. Really fast and accurate. Makes me feel kind of dumb for using my Baggs Venue for so long (not that it's BAD, but I think this is going to end up being a better tuner).

muscmp
07-25-2018, 01:03 PM
i got the newest version of the peterson strobo clip and it is the best, most right-on tuner i've ever had. i use it for guitars, ukes, lap steels, dadgad and other types of tunings.

play music!

UkingViking
08-04-2018, 02:08 AM
A few month ago, I decided that I wanted a Peterson Stroboclip HD in stead of just that cheap clip on tuner with a Kala logo that I had from my first ukes starter Kit.
I also bougth a Snark at the same time, just for comparison.
The strobe Thing about the Peterson takes some getting used to, and I usually end up using the Snark anyway, though it was way cheaper.

That being said, the Peterson is definately more precise.

aremick
08-11-2018, 06:12 AM
For anyone who is interested, there is a great explanation of "equal tempered" vs. "well tempered" here: https://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/~mrubinst/tuning/tuning.html

And another: https://pages.mtu.edu/~suits/scales.html

Booli
08-11-2018, 06:28 AM
Since I posted to the thread previously I have abandoned electronic tuners and mobile apps and have chosen a more organic approach and now I use my freaking ears!!!!

...done by matching the A string with an A-440hz tuning fork and then tune unisons and octaves and harmonics across the fretboard...works great now for a few months or so...

if in a noisy room, that's what the spare dirty sock in my case is for, i.e. to silence the person or thing making noise so I can hear and tune the instrument.

Digital tuners are so hipster now.

j/k LOL

strumsilly
08-11-2018, 07:16 AM
JUST CHECKED A "c" tuning fork I had lying around against 2 electronic tuners, a Snark and a Intelli, and both had the tuning fork -50 flat. I need to tune my tuner.
Since I posted to the thread previously I have abandoned electronic tuners and mobile apps and have chosen a more organic approach and now I use my freaking ears!!!!

...done by matching the A string with an A-440hz tuning fork and then tune unisons and octaves and harmonics across the fretboard...works great now for a few months or so...

if in a noisy room, that's what the spare dirty sock in my case is for, i.e. to silence the person or thing making noise so I can hear and tune the instrument.

Digital tuners are so hipster now.

j/k LOL

cyber3d
08-11-2018, 10:07 PM
I found something interesting. My Fender FT-004 tuner picks up the "A" string on my soprano but not on my Tenor. My Snark SN6 is accurate on the tenor but not as accurate on the soprano. Weird.

Jarmo_S
08-12-2018, 01:30 AM
I do really like my TC Electronic UniTune clip. It gives me the most precise tuning and also there is no needle need to follow, just colors in LEDs. When its all green uke is on pitch, but with having a slightly red/green and somewhat below is good sometimes because our ukes are not all so optimally nut fixed. It is of course chromatic, but does not give any octave numbers.

Funny thing is that it also has some external mic. Not really suitable to use if not clipped on but responds. And it takes care I think, maybe, also not only the headstock vibrations, bit listens also the acoustic sound. I have had no troubles tuning in a noisy situation at all. It just works and gives me the fastest tuning I have ever experienced.

It is a bit costly, 35 euro locally for me. Also has a strobe mode, which is not needed for extra accuracy with uke in my opinion. And cause this is already expensive, the polytune model one that costs maybe 50 euros, try stay avoid if you can find the unitune. I don't think it offers any advantage to ukulele players, using that polytone mode.

I understand Booli made a joke lol. We so much "love" some player in the group needing to take a tuning fork.

EDIT:
I also have that ability, which is good to have, but my tuning fork ones result usually 5-10 cents off from pitch :)

aremick
08-13-2018, 01:05 PM
After reading the discussion yesterday, I downloaded the Airyware Tuner APP - it seems to be really precise, easy to use, and you can use it to tune your instrument either "just" or any one of a number of "well tempered" ways...

Skywalker
08-13-2018, 11:22 PM
My first ukulele came with a house brand tuner which I liked quite well. I wanted something similar when I bought my baritone at the local music store. They offered me a Snark, but found it just too ugly and jarring to clamp on my beautiful new ukulele. So I looked under the counter and found a Boss TU-01. It has chromatic, guitar, bass and ukulele modes and works very well. It has a more subtle, tailored rectangular design and folds down out of the way fairly well when not in use. I like the display better than the D'Addarios. I can't speak about the precision, but it meets my needs.

Jarmo_S
08-14-2018, 12:29 AM
My first ukulele came with a house brand tuner which I liked quite well. I wanted something similar when I bought my baritone at the local music store. They offered me a Snark, but found it just too ugly and jarring to clamp on my beautiful new ukulele. So I looked under the counter and found a Boss TU-01. It has chromatic, guitar, bass and ukulele modes and works very well. It has a more subtle, tailored rectangular design and folds down out of the way fairly well when not in use. I like the display better than the D'Addarios. I can't speak about the precision, but it meets my needs.

I liked too that tuner with some reserves. It is small and lightweight, though i never keep a clip on tuner fixed to my uke, just for tuning. The downside was that the battery holder sucks and also when the battery runs down the display gets dimmer. Mine eventually died after less than a year after maybe 2 battery changes. Not sure what it was, but I used it a lot, never dropping though or any.

The one I have now that i posted 2 ones above does not show any cents off or even octave range, but it is an accurate one. The Boss TU-01 sometimes showed wrong notes higher up the neck. I loved though in my ukulele group to show the teacher after she just told and showed her new tuner Boss TU-10, that I have this from Boss that is half the size hehe.