Any tips for Kauai and Big Island in November?

WestyShane

Reaction score
Wifey and I are taking 2 weeks in November to visit Kauai and the Big Island. We really haven't made solid plans yet (other than airfare to/from the mainland) but need to get our lodging figured out soon.

Does anyone have suggestions for places to catch some live uke or slack key guitar music, snorkeling spots, seafood stores, or other not-to-be missed stuff?

Thanks and mahalo!

Suisan in Hilo is the fish store to go to. Bought fish and poke everyday. Ate it in the house we rented a few miles north of Hilo. The botanical garden is fantastic and the volcano area. Hilo side is much less touristy. We really liked it and we live in Waikiki. Six mile hike through volcano crater. Swimming at Carl Smith beach in Hilo. Relaxing. Old Hawaii.

Definitely second BillM's recommendation of going to see Doug & Sandy McMaster up in Hanalei! Awesome small show and stories. They also hang around afterward and are very helpful with any info you might need. Genuinely nice people!

Larry's Chicken In A Barrel in Kapa'a. Also Kauai Music & Sound is a great music store to explore - Dave Greenberg is a great person to deal with (no pressure, let you try anything you'd like, willing to answer any questions).

I think that Aldrine & Aaron from UU play at the Oasis Bar in Kapa'a on Wednesday nights.

Rent a Jeep at the airport - some of the better beaches are easier to access with one (and if your Hyundai sedan rental gets stuck in the sand, you'll be out a lot of money!!). Saw some nitwits on one of the clearly marked "4WD only" roads with their rental convertible dug in up to the rocker panels....

Poipu Beach Park is really good for snorkeling and seeing the occasional honu or monk seal sunning itself on the beach

I would also recommend the Kayak/hiking tour with Wailua River Guides, we went on a helicopter ride with Blue Hawaiian, and I think we went with Holo-Holo Tours on a sail along the Nepali coast

When I was there, I stayed at the Aston Islander On the Beach (http://www.astonislander.com/)

Last edited:
I can NEVER remember his schedule, but you MUST go see Aldrine play when you are on Kauai. Tell him Sukie sent you.

I can NEVER remember his schedule, but you MUST go see Aldrine play when you are on Kauai. Tell him Sukie sent you.

The Oasis every Weds when he's in town. Located at the Outrigger Waipoli in Kapaa.

Tell them Gary helped:)

Top Bottom