Blackbird Ekoa long neck sop, yet un-named?

ukeinfused

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I spent an enjoyable morning reading all about and listening to the Clara and Farallon. They are astonishing instruments in concept and execution.
I was surprised, however, to find no single thread - or folks in general - chomping at the bit for a soprano version.

Because of its inherent high and low humidity resistant qualities and its size, I've dragged my Flea with me on most of my vacations, from a sailboat in the steamy Caribbean to very dry mountaintops in Montana to the south of France.

The Flea is a fine uke, but I relish the idea of bringing with me to these beautiful destinations a climate resistant and ultra-portable instrument whose sound makes me shiver from a simple strum (like others I have at home).
A Blackbird super soprano in Ekoa might be about perfect...

Last edited:
If you go to the Blackbird website you can see how they are made. They start out with a very expensive precision machined solid steel mould. The ekoa cloth is then laid up like fiberglass in the mould and resin applied. Unlike wood they can't just cut to any size and glue the pieces together. The moulds are extremely expensive and they have to weigh demand against cost.

I have a Farallon that I love and asked Joe from Blackbird if they would ever build a baritone, many members said they would buy one. He said maybe in a few years but right now they were just trying to maintain their present production schedule

We can always ask and dream. I would love a super concert and a baritone......I'd take a super soprano if they made one.

If you go to the Blackbird website you can see how they are made. They start out with a very expensive precision machined solid steel mould.
Right-o. I learned this morning that these are made with back, neck, and headstock in one piece, so you can't just stick a concert neck on a sop body. And I know from my spouse's business that tooling is terribly expensive.
Still, a gal's gotta dream.

Last edited:
I wonder if Blackbird will eventually come up with a cheaper, "lesser" line made in Asia like the other big brands. (That, of course, would be a mixed blessing in our import economy...)
If they don't, though, some one else may do it...?

Anyone who frequents the Acoustic Guitar forum, Carbon Fiber Discussion, knows that right now Joe (Blackbird owner) seems pretty darn busy filling orders for his new eKoa guitar called the Savoy. I am super impressed by their ability and willingness to to customize their instruments, but I doubt that we'll see new uke sizes anytime soon. I also rather doubt they would risk market share by coming up with their own "Epiphone" line of composite instruments, especially not in eKoa.

But I do think it's likely that someone else may take up the challenge of making composite ukes - I least I hope so. The obvious choice would be Emerald in Ireland, who already makes a uke harp custom instrument. But so far the owner Alistair doesn't seem inclined to make a basic uke (though I have offered to purchase the first carbon fiber one he makes).

I would buy a Blackbird Soprano. I'm finding the Farallon Tenor a little big for my smallish hands.

I was among the ones who were asking for a Blackbird Baritone. But a Soprano would be neat as well. I might just take one od each... :cool:

Top Bottom