Help! Can't tune c string

simishka

Reaction score
Hi! I bought a uke about a month ago and it works great except that now the c string wont get in tune, I can get it in a lot of different notes but never c. I use a tuner that measures the vibrations.
Does anyone have a solution?
It is a Koki'o linden soprano

Maybe you are in the wrong OCTAVE (i.e., too HIGH and the string will not stretch any more), OR your strings could be installed wrong...

The A string is the closest to the floor and the THINNEST, and if re-entrant tuned, the G string is the closest to the ceiling and is the SECOND thinnest...

then the C string is the fattest which is the '3rd' string, and is closest to the G string, and the E string is the '2nd' string and the only one left...and goes in betw the C and the A...

aside from that, you can try this online tuner, which gives you the actual SOUND of the strings in tune, so just MATCH your uke until it sounds the same as this:

https://ukebuddy.com/ukulele-tuner

Please report back if you need more help...

Do you have friction tuners? It could be that the screw in the tuner is too loose...

Assuming your uke is strung reentrant, Tune the E string (2nd from the bottom). Now turn off or ignore your tuner. Put your finger on the 4th fret of the C string and play that note. It should be the same exact note as that open E string, so adjust your C until it's as close as your ear can get it. Now try it with the tuner and see where it is.

If you are strung Low G, tune your G string and play it on the 5th fret. That will be the same as the open C. (On a reentrant the 5th fret will still be a C, just an octave higher which is harder to tune to)

You're not describing the problem sufficiently for us to answer.

The OP has not logged in to the forum in 3 days and this is their first/only post on UU...

I'm beginning to wonder if they have given up...

I hope we have not lost another newbie to the Dark Side...:)

The OP has not logged in to the forum in 3 days and this is their first/only post on UU...

I'm beginning to wonder if they have given up...

I hope we have not lost another newbie to the Dark Side...:)

Too many new ukers have fallen into the bottomless pit of the Dark Side, giving up in the face of seeming un-surmountable obstacles. The ukulele is too hard, so I quit! Wah!

Too many new ukers have fallen into the bottomless pit of the Dark Side, giving up in the face of seeming un-surmountable obstacles. The ukulele is too hard, so I quit! Wah!
I agree with you Nicki, it ain't easy playing the ukulele. Hopefully the OP got their uke tuned and are having so much fun with it that they don't have time to get back to us. But I've introduced three people to the ukulele, and all three have quit before they got started. So I know what you are talking about.

Last edited:
Or... the tuner is set to 'G(uitar)', showing only notes E A D G B E..
@OP, if you are still here: check if your tuner has a U(kulele) or C(chromatic) setting.

I agree with you Nicki, it ain't easy playing the ukulele. Hopefully the OP got their uke tuned and are having so much fun with it that they don't have time to get back to us. But I've introduced three people to the ukulele, and all three have quit before they got started. So I know what you are talking about.

It's not just ukulele. It's any endeavor that requires a modicum of effort. Try teaching aikido...

Top Bottom