Strings for a Ko'olau CE1 (Chambered Electric)

Cornfield

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I made a deal to trade for a used CE1. While I'm waiting for the Big Brown Truck to deliver it I'm thinking about strings for it. I normally put Worth Clears (low G) on all of my tenors. Does anyone have experience with these Ko'olau's?

PS: I'm considering getting a set of strings to tune it in fifths, GDAE. I've been playing a tenor guitar tuned CGDA and I like the wide range of this.

I just purchased a Pono electric chambered baritone from HMS. Andrew Kitakis included a new set of Koolau Alohi strings.

I have had a Pono chambered tenor now for several years. I love it. I keep a set of linear South Coast GCEA strings on it that I sometimes tune down to EAF#C#. It works without becoming too loose.

I fell in love with the Koolau you have just purchased about four years ago but couldn't afford one. I settled for the less expensive Pono TE. No regrets. You'll have an even better ukulele. It is nice to play around the house because it has a nice sound acoustically. The amp you choose will give you whatever sound you want. Bravo for your purchase.

I also love my new Pono electric baritone. Will I sell the tenor? Not sure. Great, great ukes.

I just purchased a Pono electric chambered baritone from HMS. Andrew Kitakis included a new set of Koolau Alohi strings.

I have had a Pono chambered tenor now for several years. I love it. I keep a set of linear South Coast GCEA strings on it that I sometimes tune down to EAF#C#. It works without becoming too loose.

I fell in love with the Koolau you have just purchased about four years ago but couldn't afford one. I settled for the less expensive Pono TE. No regrets. You'll have an even better ukulele. It is nice to play around the house because it has a nice sound acoustically. The amp you choose will give you whatever sound you want. Bravo for your purchase.

I also love my new Pono electric baritone. Will I sell the tenor? Not sure. Great, great ukes.

Thanks for your feedback on this. How do you like the Alohi strings?

Good question but I can't answer it because I am completely happy with the strings that came with the uke. I haven't put on the Alohi. My guess is that your amp with be more important than your strings. Strings may vary in terms of sustain and tone but amps do have those effects. Probably when it gets right down to it, which strings FEEL best to you?

Andrew Kitakis must have had a reason for including the Alohi. Every time I go up to the Ukulele Site in Haleiwa I talk to guys like Corey Fujimoto or Kalei Gamiao, two of the world's finer players, and very friendly people. Those are the guys Andrew works with and employs. No doubt they have a little say in what strings are best.

Check out the strings your CE comes with. You might just find yourself super-pleased.

The CE arrived with but it was setup for high G. I switched it out for a set of Low G Worth Clears that I had. I then installed in the 9 volt battery for the pickup, plugged into a Peavey amp I bought at a garage sale last year and wished it was one of those special Marshalls

Top Bottom