NUD: Famous FS-0

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Got a mint used FS-0 recently, these are the Kiwaya/Famous budget line, laminate mahogany, thin body (only 1.5 thick), some call them travel ukes. These things punch way above their weight class IMO. In my short uke journey, I've tried sopranos in solid koa, laminate koa, solid spruce/ovangkol and solid cedar/rosewood, still have the koas. I like the tone of this one best of all sopranos I've tried so far: just warm and woody, I guess that's the mahogany soprano sound. I probably should have started with mahogany. But wow, this one has way more volume than I expected. It sounds much like the Kiwaya KS-0 Youtube videos of some of our members. It's hard to believe that such big, great tones can come from such a thin little uke. As expected from Kiwaya, the fit/finish and action are top notch, and it's really fun to play this one. It's the perfect uke for quiet solo play, sweet sweet tones without bothering anyone nearby, but plenty of volume if you dig in. It is quickly becoming my favorite uke. Same 37mm nut width as other Kiwaya/Famous ukes, allowing more accurate fingering for me. This one came with the original thin gigbag that it shipped in from Japan, talk about portable! I could easily stash this in a suitcase. Not sure what strings are on it, looks like flourocarbon of some sort, but they ring and sound sweet. Happy camper so far.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpgFS-0c.JPGFS-0d.JPG

Last edited:
Very cool! I'm curious to know who you ordered from in Japan, if you don't mind sharing. I had a Kiwaya KS-0P thinline/travel soprano some time ago and I think it was the loudest uke I've ever owned.

I'm not sure what kind of fluoros my Famous came with, but I have to say they're the first stock strings I've actually left on. I'd buy them again if I knew what they were!

Sounds great! And you got a great price!

Congrats! I love the simplicity of it's looks, it reminds me some of Martin ukes. The headstock shape is refreshingly different. I'd consider looking for one of these, but we don't travel.

I really like the compensated saddle. Any idea what material it is? Heard great things about both Famous and Kiwaya. I'd like to try one, but am tenor player. I'm sure they have tenors but don't see them listed or talked about like the sopranos. Anybody play a Famous or Kiwaya tenor? Congrats , you have a great looking uke at a super price. I also like the notch bridge. They are just easy to string, aren't they.

I had bought a FS-0 (it may actually be this one here) from Rakuten via Guitar Planet. If I recall, you don't really order it on Rakuten, but rather confirm you're interested in buying. Then they send a quote for the uke + shipping/insurance, and you paypal them the money.

guitarplanet@shop.rakuten.co.jp

Very cool! I'm curious to know who you ordered from in Japan, if you don't mind sharing. I had a Kiwaya KS-0P thinline/travel soprano some time ago and I think it was the loudest uke I've ever owned.

I'm not sure what kind of fluoros my Famous came with, but I have to say they're the first stock strings I've actually left on. I'd buy them again if I knew what they were!

Top Bottom