PDA

View Full Version : Boy Scout Project #2

sequoia
07-27-2017, 07:41 PM
I set out today to build 22 spool clamps. Ha! What a boy scout project this turned out to be. Not as easy as it first seems and can we say repetitive? Very repetitive. You know, I'm not really into woodworking persay and much more enjoy building musical instruments. Tools are a means to the end and not the end of the means. I priced how much these things cost to buy pre-made and said no way. I can do that much cheaper.

The strange thing is that I'm really enjoying the process of making spool clamps. Making spool clamps is strangely addictive. Like eating popcorn. Next! I'm actually considering becoming the worlds largest producer of spool clamps... Maybe not.

Total time spent on making 22 simple spool clamps? Do not even ask. 7 down, 15 to go.

Biednick
07-30-2017, 05:07 AM
When I made my spool clamps, I chose to buy a bag of pre made wooden wheels. For less than $15 it was well worth the time saved, and the hole was sized near perfect for 1/4-20 bolts. I just slapped 2 wheels onto a 6" bolt, added a wing nut, and called it done. Here's a link to what I bought: https://www.amazon.com/Woodpeckers-Wooden-Wheels-Axle-Hole-50/dp/B01A618414/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1501423523&sr=8-4&keywords=wood+wheels

sequoia
07-30-2017, 07:36 PM
Great link. The way to go. Finding center and drilling out is a big part of the drudgery.