Worth Browns - I can't see them!

besley

Reaction score
So this will sound like a stupid newbie rant.....but I just put a set of Worth Brown Low G strings on my Farallon. And while it is still too soon to tell how they sound, I already see a problem. Or rather it's what I don't see - the strings! Dark brown strings on a black fretboard do not stand out very well. (I suppose it would be even worse if I had tried black nylon.)

So is this just something you get accustomed to? I guess I don't really need to see the strings, but I am sort of used to it. ; )

You get used to it, and eventually even dont have to look at the strings once your muscle memory is farther along.

Someone on UU once mentioned about practicing with eyes closed about 2 yrs ago, and now I do that often.

Try it.

You'll make mistakes at first, but with some practice your fingers will land in the right place and then you'll be like 'woah - I can play without looking, when did that happen?'

But I admit that sometimes I cheat and look at the fretboard...:music:

I like the sound of them on some Ukes I've tried them on. They sounded especially good on a Rosewood Laminate tenor. Mad it sound like chocolate.
I have the same problem with Fremont Blacklines though and I just try not to look! :D

I like the sound of them on some Ukes I've tried them on. They sounded especially good on a Rosewood Laminate tenor. Mad it sound like chocolate.
I have the same problem with Fremont Blacklines though and I just try not to look! :D
Love Freemonts Blacklines. They are getting harder and harder to find. I'm in Hawaii and went to HMS and they only had.two sets for tenor with high g.

Yes, you are not supposed to look at your strings. You are supposed to "sense" where they are, like Samantha Muir says. Try her little book of right hand arpeggios for this, it works. Also, try Ukulele Mike's "take-away" game on his You Tube video. It helps with making chords.
It might seem like it's taking you longer to learn by not looking at them, but it won't, actually.

I like the sound and feel from Worth Brown and Fremont Blackline strings, and I like that they don't stand out visually like e.g. the white strings from Aquila (I think they look like cheap toy plastic). As Nicky mentioned, the player shouldn't look down on the fretboard. Don't tilt the instrument towards your face. When looking down, you should only see the side of the neck. Use the side markers as a guide, not the markers on the fretboard. This may make it a bit harder for beginners, but it will pay off in the long run.

It's always good to be adaptable to different strings, even after you've found your favorite type.

I'd say, try to get used to the Worths, but if you have another favorite type that you're used to, don't hesitate to just go back to using them. Try to get used to the Worths, as they're pretty good strings, but don't torture yourself!

Top Bottom