Video-editing software inquiry

wolfchs

UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I haven't made a video for over a year now. I used to be active on the 'Seasons' and was using Windows Movie Maker back then. Now that I have Windows 10, I found out it doesn't have it and they seem to have removed the links to download in January of this year. So can anyone please advise on any easy movie-making-editing software for Windows 10?

Thanks in advance!
~Mina:eek:

I currently use Kdenlive on Linux or iMovie on Mac, but for Windows...

I read that there was a 'Windows Creators Studio pack' for Win10, but you have to dload it from the Windows App store or Windows Market (sorry for get which it's called, as I have not regularly used Windows since XP, and moved to Mac in 2005 and switched again in 2015, to Ubuntu Linux (the Xubuntu variant) for most things...

Also, I've read about lots of folks using Pinnacle Studio or Magix Movie on Windows, and of course there's Adobe Premiere, and they have an 'essentials' version witch used be only $79 and not as overly complicated as the pro version...

one site you might find helpful 'alternativeto' and here is their page for Windows Movie Maker, with recommendations:

https://alternativeto.net/software/windows-movie-maker/alternatives/?platform=windows

also, you might get more detailed help if you ask in the Seasonistas general yakking thread here:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...eral-thread-yakking-joshing-news-and-pictures

Last edited:
Here's a good and recent roundup of alternatives: http://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-free-windows-movie-maker-alternative

I have used VSDC (on Windows 7). It's not the most intuitive interface but has a lot of good features. Lately I've been turning to LumaFusion on the iPad for almost all my video editing. Maybe not as powerful as some of the PC-based stuff but it is easy to use and does have a lot of bang for the buck.

Looks good! Thanks all! I'll check these suggestions out! :eek:

Some questions. What sort of editing do you need to do? You may need only software that can trim the ends. Do you need any special effects? Do you need audio sweetening? Do you need to insert still images of your ukulele tabs? Do you need split screen? Do you need to record directly into the computer or recording to a device and importing the file?

Some questions. What sort of editing do you need to do? You may need only software that can trim the ends. Do you need any special effects? Do you need audio sweetening? Do you need to insert still images of your ukulele tabs? Do you need split screen? Do you need to record directly into the computer or recording to a device and importing the file?

Ha! Good question. I only really used Windows Movie Maker to create/record videos for the Seasons of the Ukulele, then add the title w/ special effects on it, then the fade out of the video... simple stuff like that, i haven't dabbled much to anything more complicated like multi-tracking and adding layers and stuff. So something simple I guess.

Hey, Miina!!! Great to see you back!! I missed you - and I think lots of us did!

I downloaded Windows Live Movie Maker for Windows 10, and it works just fine for me. Still use it for my videos.

When I get around to making them, that is....

Hey, Miina!!! Great to see you back!! I missed you - and I think lots of us did!

I downloaded Windows Live Movie Maker for Windows 10, and it works just fine for me. Still use it for my videos.

When I get around to making them, that is....

Hi Kurt!

They removed the download link and it says on the page the same info i've been seeing everywhere: "Editors' Note: Windows Essentials 2012 suite (and Windows Live Movie Maker) reached end of support on January 10, 2017. It is no longer available for download. Download.com offers no downloadable file and presents data for informational purposes only." :(

Hi Kurt!

They removed the download link and it says on the page the same info i've been seeing everywhere: "Editors' Note: Windows Essentials 2012 suite (and Windows Live Movie Maker) reached end of support on January 10, 2017. It is no longer available for download. Download.com offers no downloadable file and presents data for informational purposes only." :(

Personally, I have a strong distrust of 3rd-party download sites, which have a reputation for inserting malware into the installation programs. The download.com of yore went steeply down hill once they were acquired by CNET.

A quick google search brought me to this link to download directly from Microsoft, which is truly the only authoritative source for products made by Microsoft, and this page is on their 'app store':

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/movie-maker-free-video-editor/9nblggh4wwjr

Based upon decades of working as an IT Professional, methinks you can trust this file to not have anything evil embedded within, other than the standard telemetry and privacy violations which have been the foundation of Windows 10 since it's release.

(if curious about the phone-home and other anti-features of Windows, follow the results of this link:
https://www.google.com/search?site=....1.64.psy-ab..1.27.3055...0i131k1.9bsj96NHtCM)

Hope this helps! :)

Hi Kurt!

I was just going through the threads on the MS site, and found "The Wayback Machine", with the installer file for Windows Live Essentials 2012. It is about 135 mb.

I'm not sure if forum rules allow me to just post the link, so I will PM it to you, and Booli.

-Kurt​

I have Windows 10 and Movie maker... Perhaps it just stayed put because I got it as an upgrade from Windows 8.

I tried openshot for windows back in winter or spring. It didn't work on my PC, it would chrash and be completely incapable of creating even the simplest video. Perhaps upgrades might fix it, but when I tried it it didn't work.

I used ShortCut video editor for a while, also freeware. It kind of worked most times, but it had occasional bugs needing me to restart the software, and sometimes the rendered video is not very smooth.

I am back to Movie Maker for now, but I am listening in for an alternative...

I'm surprised Openshot didn't work for you, it's working for me on Linux, it's what I use for the Seasons - maybe it's a Windows problem(?).

Well, if the version of the application that says it works on windows, doesn't work on windows, you can always debate whether the problem lies with windows or the application...
I am sure it runs great on Linux, and it might work on some specific windows settings it was tested on, but it sure can't have been thouroghly tested for Windows 10. You can't blame the programmers for not making a functioning windows edition of their freeware, when it is obviously primarily made for Linux, but that doesn't make it work better if you have a windows PC.

Last edited:
For ShortCut there is an abundance of toturials on youtube.
Some of them decent, some of them less so.

Top Bottom