Ordering Ukuleles in the summer months

BioSim

Reaction score
Hey, everyone! I was wondering if any of you have much experience ordering/shipping solid wood instruments in the hotter months. I have my eye on a Kala acacia soprano from HMS but I love the southern US (pretty much 85+ degrees and 60%+ humidity every day right now).

Ordering now would mean it would ship around the third week of August. Should I just wait until it cools off (mid-Sep/Oct) or would it be fine? Would ordering and having it shipped in a hard case help at all? Am I being paranoid? Thanks in advance!

But 60% humidity is almost perfect to store an instrument like an ukulele in. I am certain you don´t have to worry. If it however was in the winter and the dryness was severe, the matter of loading and unloading etc. would have been different. An acquaintance of mine bought a Martin dreadnought in the winter and when it got here, there was a long crack along the top.
A hard case is a better protection, yes.

Maybe you can ask the seller what they think about shipping in the summer weather. My guess is that it's OK, (but you probably need to take your time opening the package if coming from the heat into an air conditioned environment, with the change in humidity and temperature.) But, those who are more expert, like the people at HMS who would be shipping to you, could give you better advice.

Enjoy your new ukulele, whenever it arrives.

I think you would be okay if you have it shipped in a hard case. I think HMS ships two-day so it shouldn't be sitting anywhere for long. I plan on ordering one from them in the next week or so and I'm in Florida. Definitely wouldn't hurt to ask them about it though since they would be aware of customer feedback regarding issues.

My recommendation would be to fly out and pick it up in person and then fly back with it. I'd plan on making it a 2 week process :cool:

Top Bottom