Have you ever seen a ukulele being made? "The Pohaku Ukulele" movie

cyber3d

Reaction score
Have you ever seen a ukulele being made? "The Pohaku Ukulele" movie is a great little documentary. Just saw it on Amazon Prime.

Also just watched "Mighty Uke" also on Amazon Prime. Another documentary. Great historical stuff and they follow an amazing group (high schoolers?). Fun stuff. And James Hill too.

Yes I have - I commissioned one and went to the luthiers shop!

Our club owns The Mighty Uke, and we've shown it 3 times. I'll ask about the other one, I'd like to see it. I've been to Martin and Gruen, and seen guitars being built, but not ukes.
Thanks cyber3d!

I've never seen one made from start to finish. I have taken the Kamaka and Kanilea tours. I saw a personal custom Kanilea being made for Sarah Meisel a couple of years ago. I got to hold it.
I also saw one the Jake Shimabukuro models at the Kamaka factory. I got to hold that one as well. They were making only 100 and the one we saw was number 24.

Mya-Moe has a series on Youtube called Birth of a Mya-Moe. It's long and covers every single detail of the build of one instrument, from the original order to final shipping. It's 99 (that's right, ninety-nine) 3-5 minute videos. I found it fascinating and very interesting, but then again, I was waiting for my own to be delivered at the time.

Many years ago, while living in Buenos Aires I commissioned a custom made 12 string guitar and got to see the whole process. That was enlightening and fascinating, at least for me.

Guess I'm going to have to check out these other ones.

After recently watching a guitar build video from the luthier who built my most recent uke, and watching the aforementioned Pohaku build video with Peter Hurney, I thought it'd be cool to have a thread with a collection of build vids. Well, this might be that thread! I saw this video for sale or rent on Amazon, but it's free on the Pohaku website!

Aaron Keim of Beansprout has some great videos, including his recent Kingdom Era build. I think there's a full thread on that elsewhere, so how about just the first video to get you started?

Pepe Romero Jr. also posts a bunch of short videos showing details of certain processes. Of course he makes many guitars, but his processes are close to the same for the uke. Here's one where he's build a guitar for Jack Johnson...

Top Bottom