Question about Low G???

slapbass

Reaction score
I see string sets that say low G..
I just got a Kala Tenor from MGM..It is strung with Aquilas..
I was thinking of checking out some different strings..
Whats the advantages of a low G..Is it for a specific type of style of playing..
Do alot of you guys play with a low G???

This article by Hippie Guy will explain a low g . . . of course, there are numerous threads on the subject which can be found by using the "Search" button located on the tool bar.

Line 6 needs to come out with a uke where you can dial in low G or high G (and emulate different uke models, of course):

http://line6.com/variaxacoustic

I tried a set with a low A (I tune in D instead of C. You can exchange all A's in the following text with G's, but I hope it will make some kind of sense anyway).
I found that the open chord shapes doesn't work as well as they do with re-entrant tuning. The reason for this is that any chord including an A sounds like an expanded A-chord (A diminished, A augmented, A add9, A add2 etc...) when A is the lowest note in the chord. So I had to work on the lowest string or mute it quite a lot to make it sound like the intended chord.

I think a low A would work very well in a band setting (when there's a bass around) or for fingerplaying, but I'm not really that much of a fingerpicker :eek:

Top Bottom