Handy, simple chord notation!

robedney

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
We've got lots of song sheets we use in our uke group -- along with folks making up new ones on a regular basis. Most include chord diagrams.

The standard chord diagram is great, but you can't type it out on a computer and it's hard to include in the lyrics wherever a chord change occurs. I can't remember where, but I recently ran across a very simple solution that I've not seen before -- but many of you may have.

It's simple as dirt -- just four digits. For example, a standard C chord would be represented as "0003". You read it just like a chord diagram -- in that the GCE strings are "0"pen, while the A string is fingered at the third fret.

If you've got beginner around it's really helpful, in that you can put the chords right were the changes occur, such as:

(C/0003) I'm singing a song unlike any other song (G/0232) and I'll sing it all day long.

Folks who know their chords only need to glance at the letter, where those who need more help have it right there embedded in the lyrics.

Yeah that is better, I use it for shorthanding between C and G tuned ukes as I play Bari tuned a lot. as in C/G/0003. where C=Concert and G= Bari. or C-0003-2010, G-0232-0003, D7-0202-0212 to simplify changing Uke tunings.

Hey Rob,

I would also suggest looking at Chordette, at ukefarm.com. It is a set of fonts (a new educational with suggested fingers) that can be embedded in a document...included in a PDF, whatever. That way, you could list chords on the top of the sheet, and just do letters along the way. Just another way to attack the issue.

Robedney, that's an excellent idea. I always put chord charts at the top of each sheet but sometimes beginners have trouble up and down, losing their place. It's nice to see it right when you're reaching that chord change within the lyric. I can embed chord diagrams within the lyrics but to accommodate even their smallest readable size, the songsheet gets too big. Your idea is great. It's simple and does the same job (not as visual but still good).

I remember posting about this a couple of months back. The 0003 system works well. It also makes it easier when speaking to other players, it gives a language the can be used easily and takes up very little space on a song sheet.

I remember posting about this a couple of months back. The 0003 system works well. It also makes it easier when speaking to other players, it gives a language the can be used easily and takes up very little space on a song sheet.

This is where I use that system the most. When speaking about a chord to a person (or group) it is so much easier and quicker to convey the fingering. If I need to give a mini tutorial on how the system works, it's still worth it. You can tell them once and then we can all understand. I use it often, like when I'm suggesting a different or easier fingering for a chord. Much better than "first finger, first string, second fret; second finger....". That is truly tedious. In fact, it absolutely drives me crazy when song tutorials do this. I would so much rather they just give the chord description with the C=0003 system, unless they need to relay a particular finger placement or technique.

Top Bottom