Bulk felt picks

UkeStuff

Reaction score
Hey UUers,

As I teach ukulele to students, I find myself moving off of some positions that I have been holding. I know my declaration of "playing ukulele since January 2016" makes me a bit of a N00B, but remember that I am a music educator--with a PhD--so my adaption to the ukulele moves a little faster than the average bear (and it should).

I originally came to believe that all ukuleles should be right-handed, and that all should be played with a finger/thumb.

I've moved off of both positions. I led a class for teachers last year, and one of the teachers (an art teacher) was missing the tip of her index finger, making it impossible to make chord shapes. The next day I switched the strings on an instrument for her to use--and I decided that I would keep leftys on hand.

The other major pushback I get from students is in using the fingers for strumming. I know there are light gauge plastic picks (heck, the Enya comes with some), but there are also felt picks. I'm okay, at this point, giving students the option to buy a felt pick to use in class.

I know I can buy 10 packs on Amazon...but does anyone know of a company where I can buy 100 or 200 felt picks at an affordable prices? I know where to buy regular picks in bulk...but felt picks are a different matter.

I used to use felt picks, but no longer do for uke. If I were to use one, it would be leather. I have been cutting them out of some 3/16" drink coasters I got with a promotional emblem on it. If I run out, I'll likely get some scraps from a shoemaker used for shoe soles, in the 3/16" to 1/4" thickness range. Bend the tip a bit to "break them in" a bit. For a larger quantity, a leather supplier may be the way to go. They hold up well IMHO.

I don't know, but I found out that I can cut them up and make great weather stripping!

I bought some felt picks to try on Amazon, they say they are from BoloPick LLC. They had a BoloPick.com Which gets you to

https://www.bolopick.com/
Guitar and Ukulele Accessories bolo@bolopick.com

(810) 919-3494

The picks are a coarse felt and fairly stiff but won't scratch the top of the uke. I don't use them as I prefer Fender Thins, I have one from my old guitar days that is ~30 years old but in fine shape. I bought another a few months ago that is about half dollar size, it feels weird.

Slightly off topic....but if you like using a pick (as I often do) allow to me recommend my new favorite: Iron Age "Leather Ukulele Picks". But they're not really leather, they're made of some type of synthetic. Very nice and soft to use, doesn't scratch any surface, and are easy to hold. The really nice thing is that they are not as loud as most felt picks are.

51MpqIeKOPL.jpg

https://ironageaccessories.com/collections/guitar-picks/products/ukulele-leather-picks

Four for $5, but it can't hurt to ask about a bulk educational rate.

Getting back to felt, I've also tried those new D'Addarrio picks and they are also fantastic. But boy are they LOUD. You will not be very popular at the local jam if you cut loose with one of those.

planet-waves-ukulele-felt-picks-25-pack-2.gif

I contacted Mahalo and their US distributor when I was trying to get inexpensive but playable ukuleles for my program (55 of them...now we have 130...they were also not willing to sell to the end user. I ended up getting most of those MK-1 models for $24 each, although we ordered in batches and some were $30 or $36 towards the end.

To think of these Enya EUR-X1 sopranos for $29 with a bag...and the quality. Sigh.

So...thank you for the suggestion...but I'll skip asking them based on past experience.

I have a felt pick I bought at a Lap Dulcimer weekend workshop. It is a perfect triangle.
The sides are 3 cm or 1 and 3/16 inches.

For now. I went to eBay and bought a number of 10 packs for about $4.00 each, from a couple of vendors. If these work out, I'll report back.

Speaking of picks, does anybody know what this felt wrap around bandage looking contraption Corey is using lately is called? It's in all the latest sound sample vids - like this one

https://vimeo.com/228346251

I've never been able to get the swing of a thumb pick and I also love the tone that comes from the fleshy part of a thumb strum - but he's working this thing pretty good. Or is it an injury?

Speaking of picks, does anybody know what this felt wrap around bandage looking contraption Corey is using lately is called? It's in all the latest sound sample vids - like this one

https://vimeo.com/228346251

I've never been able to get the swing of a thumb pick and I also love the tone that comes from the fleshy part of a thumb strum - but he's working this thing pretty good. Or is it an injury?

I think it is a thumb pick, and I am amazed at how he can play and pick at the same time with it. I bought a thumb pick, too...and need to work with it more...it really extends the reach of the thumb (and means that you don't have to grow out your thumb fingernail or glue ping pong balls to it) making it a little further reach for tone other fingers;

Top Bottom