We Secret Ukers

Down Up Dick

Reaction score
I wonder why most of us are anonymous. I even wonder why I'M anonymous. I just used an alias because everyone else had one.

Do we think someone will come after us if we say something negative? Do we think everyone will realize how stupid we really are? Are we worried that someone will find us and steal our ukes?

I usta belong to a flute forum, using my real name and nobody came to do me any harm, and nobody stold my flutes.

I think using our real names would make us a lot more careful about what we say.

Well, I just wondered why uke playing has to be so secret--shhhh . . . :eek:ld:

I try to put as little info about me as possible , keep my internet footprint small . Please ,...don't tell anyone .

Since you've put me on your ignore list Dick,
I'm doubly anonymous to you.
Personally, I think you could be a psycho killer.
My name is Jonathon. I could also be a psycho killer.
That's why I won't tell you my last name.

We are just following a well used practice of protection. Other forums and forms of social medial are a lot less "genteel" so keeping your real identity secret is a good practice. Here on UU we have the good fortune of a friendly , helpful membership without too many personal verbal attacks. I would be comfortable using my real name here, Dave is half of it.

Actually, when you sign up online, quite often you will find someone else with your name, I find quite a few, so having a 'nick' makes you easier to recognize & more individual online. ;)

Since you've put me on your ignore list Dick,
I'm doubly anonymous to you.
Personally, I think you could be a psycho killer.
My name is Jonathon. I could also be a psycho killer.
That's why I won't tell you my last name.

I don't have an ignore list. I don't even know how to set one up. I'm sane and a nice ol' guy. Lighten up . . .

Men usta be proud of their names, but that was in a better time. :eek:ld:

I always use my real name, done in a way that will most likely not be used by anyone else.

Actually, when you sign up online, quite often you will find someone else with your name, I find quite a few, so having a 'nick' makes you easier to recognize & more individual online. ;)

Yeah, Keith, plus I suppose the internet has added to "the Age of Anxiety". Better safe than sorry . . . :eek:ld:

For me it's about what little privacy control the internet affords us. My full, real name is on my professional website, and appears in a few videos where I'm credited (i.e. the one in my sig below, and a couple more) but that's it. I don't use Facebook or other social media other than UU and Instagram, and even if I did, I think I'd want those to remain apart from everything else. My potential employers don't need to know that I play ukulele and take pictures, and working in tech, it's guaranteed that I will be Googled before I am called for interviews!

Oddly enough, even though my real name is a bit unusual, there are two higher-profile people online who share it and both are all about internet marketing, so even if I wanted to use it for online accounts, it's already taken! Years ago I was one of the first beta-testers for Gmail long before its public launch, and even that early on, one of the two who share my name had already snagged my firstnamelastname at gmail dot com.

Dick,
you might find this hard to believe,
but there is a world that exists outside your asshole.

I wonder why most of us are anonymous. I even wonder why I'M anonymous. I just used an alias because everyone else had one.

Do we think someone will come after us if we say something negative? Do we think everyone will realize how stupid we really are? Are we worried that someone will find us and steal our ukes?

I usta belong to a flute forum, using my real name and nobody came to do me any harm, and nobody stold my flutes.

I think using our real names would make us a lot more careful about what we say.

Well, I just wondered why uke playing has to be so secret--shhhh . . . :eek:ld:

IMHO it's a matter of personal choice as to whether to use your real name or an alias, my own preference is the later as I feel it gives me more liberty to ask questions and make comment. Unfortunately there are always some folk who just seem unable to behave themselves on-line - my own 'rule of thumb' is never to say anything adverse on-line that I wouldn't be prepared to say to someone in person. This forum is particularly friendly but hey, why take a chance that some member or casual user might take a dislike to you and later cause problems? Why leave any digital footprint that can be traced back to you and interpreted in a way that you didn't want or prefer not to have made?

A level of anonymity is useful to me, but people who play Uke in my part of the world might have guessed who I am (that's fine by me) and anyone who's helpful and friendly to me here is welcome to share private conversation. It's all, IMHO, a matter of balance.

Last edited:
Dick,
you might find this hard to believe,
but there is a world that exists outside your asshole.

Man, that is just uncalled for. Kudos to Dick for keeping his cool.

Men usta be proud of their names, but that was in a better time. :eek:ld:
Haha, I never did like my name. I always wanted just a regular name, like Dick, or Dave, or John, or Octavious. I don't use my name, although my online name is pretty close to my real name. It is my initials and my last name. But I post a lot here, and I just don't want people to search my name and come up with a couple thousand ukulele forum posts. I don't know if that would really happen.

That happens to me all the time. So to all you other "John Smiths" out there, my name is John Smith and I'm a ukulele addict!!!

Top Bottom