NSD (new shamisen day)

Piecomics

Reaction score
I have been looking for a shamisen for several years. They are a Japanese instrument, recently featured in the movie Kubo and the two strings. I was lucky enough to find a woman from Canada who makes them in Thailand, who had a nontraditional (and thus affordable) one for sale. After getting stuck at the airport for a few days, is now safely with me in North Carolina.

I realize this is not a ukulele, but hopefully some of you may appreciate it!

OK, I just spent a couple minutes trying to upload the photos here, but can't figure it out. If you go to this link I have a bunch of pics up.http://imgur.com/a/sPDcf

With a skin head it really belongs on a banjo forum.

Just kidding! congratulations. Fretless? I notice the nut seems stepped, is the tuning based on western system or Asian.

That looks very nice!

I am interested to know more about the knot that they tie at the end as a sort of end-piece to hold the strings on...if I can figure that out, I may steal it for one of my instrument hacking experiments instead of something made of metal or wood...

Once you get up to speed on playing something, I'd love to hear your Shamisen...:music:

Thanks for sharing! :)

Definitely will try to record something. It is fretless, and is currently tuned Beb, which is intervally similar to the DAD tuning on a dulcimer, thus western? It has an interesting mechanism on the low string which elevates it a hair above the nut, giving it a characteristic buzz when played or when resonating.

I do not have a bachi, which is the exorbitantly expensive plectrum you use to play it, trying to figure that out.

Booli, how can I help you with the knot? More pics?

Congrats! My father-in-law is Japanese and an ardent student of the instrument. Enjoy!!

Definitely will try to record something....

Whenever you get a chance, I truly love the sound of this instrument, please let me know.

Booli, how can I help you with the knot? More pics?

Yes, maybe 4-5 pics of the knot, with good lighting, maybe include some head-on from the butt-end, top, bottom and each side, as if you were 'documenting' the knot...and if you know what the knot it is called, that would help me to do further research online - I would be very grateful...you can send via PM or I can PM you my email if it is easier to send them that way. Please let me know.

I am excited for you and hope you can make some beautiful music with your new Shamisen :music:

thanks so much for this post.
I blame you as being singlehandedly responsible
for making our household instant converts!!!!
Absolutely blown away by the instrument, it's sound
and the melodies we've been indulging in on yt
for the last couple of days.
Also, blown away by the prices. gee, so much money to
have to outlay on what, for us, would be little more
than a dipping of our toes in the water to see if we
can actually learn to play.
Anyway, just wanted to say congratulations,
your shamisen is beautiful. And yes,
please post something of your playing for us
when you get the opportunity.

Thank you for posting this. How's it tuned (sorry if I missed that). Very cool

Nice! It looks very well made, and I bet it sounds cool.

Top Bottom