Neck Angle Jig Plans

Jardin

Reaction score
Hello Folks

I am wondering if anyone has plans for a neck angle jig they are willing to share or sell.

I have come across this one http://www.bigislandukuleleguild.org/luthiers-page/biug-workshops/neck-mortise--tenoning-jig.html but after sending an email I got a unable to deliver message back.

I know I can work it out for myself given enough time but I already have too much to keep up with and just want to maximize my shop time. So I thought I would try here first before spending time reinventing the wheel.

Thanks

Yeah, I figured it was just a smaller Robbie O'Brien with a smaller M&T pattern but again if it was out there I figured I would ask. I even asked LMI about whether their plans/kit will work for ukulele and they just said no.

The ukuleles I have made have had a zero neck angle and that's all well and good but I am looking at ramping up to fulfill the interest generated. I also want to go to putting in a radius south of the soundhole and be able to really dial things in quickly. Nothing like a jig for something you do over and over again as I am not as accurate as a machine and as you know a lot of time can be spent fiddling around with tiny measurements.

Thanks for posting replies

Enjoy the day!

Its not all that complicated for ukes. A simple angle gauge will let you set the angle of the uke top to neck joint, then transfer it to end of the neck blank. Say your fingerboard is .187" thick, and the frets add another .040", =.227". Round it up to .250" to make it easier. Make your bridge also .250" thick. If the angle is correct a straight edge layed on the frets should also extend to the top of the bridge. If your string height maxes out at .090" at the 12th fret the saddle will be a doable .180" high. Subtracting the rounded up number brings the saddle height down to a nice .163". The first few ukes you build will tell you if you have to do a slight juggling of any of the figures, but once you can lock it in you are there.

Top Bottom