Suggestions for a new "Low A" string on my soprano Honu Ukulele... Help appreciated!

FrozenMango

Reaction score
Suggestions for a new "Low A" string on my soprano Honu Ukulele... Help appreciated!

Hi, I have a soprano sized honu ukulele from big island ukulele co and I am very pleased with it, but it needs a new Low A string. I play with the low A, D, F#, B tuning so naturally, the low A string is a low G string tuned 2 semitones higher. The uke currently has a metal low A string and aquila nylgut strings for the other three strings. I just have these questions:

Will ordering lowG, C, E, A strings and tuning them 2 semitones higher to lowA, D, F#, B change their quality/sound and break them or will the strings be ok?

Does anyone have any suggestions for strings which would sound great on a soprano honu ukulele tuned to lowA, D, F#, B?

I am right now considering buying worth LowG medium brown or worth low G cm strings, if anybody has any knowledge about the sound of these strings, please share it with me :D Thanks for reading, any help is greatly appreciated :D

Sorry I can't help you with your question about strings....but your post raises a question for me, a relative beginner.

What is it that prompted this (dare I say) unusual tuning? I've not read of it before now....

From what I know, tuning GCEA string up a couple semitones is the traditional way to tune it to ADF#B. It won't damage the strings or the instrument.

Mailman: this tuning is more often found in Europe and in Canada.

You should be fine tuning the strings up two semitones. Also, YMMV, but most think highly of Worth strings. The best thing to do is just buy them and try them and see what you think.

thnx for the info, I'll probably go with the clear worth strings, since they supposedly have a brighter and clearer sound than the brown worth strings. :D

Top Bottom