How do you pronounce "ukulele"?

mmfitzsimons

Reaction score
I say "oo koo lay lay" or "ook" for short, probably because here in San Diego, there are a good number of Hawaiian speakers.

But when posting on UU or on Facebook, I feel that writing "an ukulele" will sound odd to most people. So I find myself writing around it by saying "the ukulele" or "your uke."

I want to be honest, though. I am an "ooker." :)

Last edited:
Thank you, no need to apologize for how you say it, seems like the anglicized version took hold a long time ago.

I also realize others have asked the question over the years. But I was looking to hear from people who are here today. Friday and all. I think the internet can handle one more thread. :)

I think it sounds ridiculous when the Hawaiian pronunciation is used by those not of that heritage or who aren't in a specific geographic location where it is the majority/common/accepted pronunciation. I'm in the upper mid-west and pronounce it "you-kah-lay-lee".

Thank you, no need to apologize for how you say it, seems like the anglicized version took hold a long time ago.

I also realize others have asked the question over the years. But I was looking to hear from people who are here today. Friday and all. I think the internet can handle one more thread. :)
I don't mind talking about it. I think that we would be hard pressed to find any subject that hasn't been talked about before. If we don't keep bringing things up no one would post anything. There is just eleven pages there if you are interested. That's all.

I don't have strong feelings, but Hawaiian is not some dead language, and the word itself is only 120 or so years old, so it doesn't strike me as ridiculous to say it that way.... but yeah, as mentioned, I have found myself succumbing to the tide online and avoiding the telltale "an ukulele," so to Mike's point, I can relate.

No more, tho. I am planting a flag, and will shout it from the roofs of Des Moines if needed. Because the truth is, "ookulele" is more fun to say. It just is. Try it. :)

Call me ridiculous, but I grew up in Hawaii and anything other than oo koo sounds wrong to me.

BTW, 'uku means small, and also lice or flea. So names like UkuFred or UkuJoe invariably make me LMAO. No offense intended to anyone.

I suppose that the English language belongs to all and any common useage is acceptable, more or less.

The original pronunciation was by people of a certain language, they also call a train something different than a 'train'.
In their language it is an 'ukulele, to others, as myself, who are not of that culture, it is a ukulele.
English, or a form of it, is an International Language, like it or not, so most people around the world call it by the English pronunciation.
:cool:

Interesting topic. I for one try and pronounce it with the original pronunciation from where it originated. While I can see how or why people look at the word and pronounce it the way they do, I try to honor the original pronunciation. Just like other words that were borrowed from other languages that are common now in the English language i.e. tortilla, gyro, quesadilla, ballet, cafe, lingerie, etc.. We could pronounce how we were taughted to pronounce words in English but I feel it does lose something...

Last edited:
I actually switch pronunciations depending upon whom I speaking with. With me and my husband it's an oo-koo-leh-leh, but when speaking with others they almost universally refer to it as a you-kou-lay-lay, so I just go with the flow. That's better then having someone reply, "your what?" or try to correct my pronunciation when I say it with an "oo". (Don't get me started on pronouncing "capo".) Ironically, I pronounce the shortened form 90% of the time as "youk".

I pronounce it both ways. I'm based in the UK and yoo-koo-lay-ley is widely understood. However, I speak Spanish too so, oo-koo-leh-leh also very much works for me, and I prefer it, but it can sound "a bit poncy" in an English accent.

It really doesn't matter, just enjoy playing however you pronounce the instrument :)

This is an interesting topic!

I say yook-ulele because thats the way Ive always heard it pronounced here in the states. In my peabrain I started wondering why its not spelled ookulele if its hawaiian. I went over to ask google and pushed the pronunciation button forgetting I had my speakers turned up full blast. When the lady said Yook-a-lay-lee I about jumped out of my skin! :biglaugh:

I did find this article very interesting and realized you have to know the native language rule of spelling and the importance of the accent mark ( 'okina) in their language. https://liveukulele.com/ukulele-info/the-correct-spelling-of-ukulele/

This pronunciation thing reminds me of a joke. What's the difference between a violin and a fiddle? Answer: a violin has strings, while a fiddle has "straanngs" (pronounced with a Southern accent).

I say you kuh lay lee because I'm from Ohio and people look at me funny if I don't. I also say Hah no loo loo for Honolulu instead of Ho no loo loo. But it isn't just Hawaiian where I don't use correct pronunciation. I say Pair is Fraaans instead of Pair ee Frahns. And I studied French for years. If I lived in Hawaii, I would use the original pronunciation of ukulele and I would say Pair ee when in France.

^^^
I happen to speak French fluently and it has taught me a few things. Those French folks have different words for a bunch of things! :D
For example, the city of London is "Londres" and when I am speaking French I say "Londres" and not London. Conversely, when speaking English, I say Paris, with an ess at the end.

I speak a little Spanish too, but when I order a burrito at Taco Bell, I do not trill my Rs. If I were in Mexico ordering a burrito I would though!

So, I pretty much have to accept that when English speakers say ukulele, it will usually have a Y sound at the beginning.
I usually pronounce it ukulele, Hawaiian style, because I live in Hawaii. But I am not pretentious about it and I don't correct anybody or anything.
I am also not a fan of uke (or ook) but that is just me.
Kimo Hussey says uke all the time (with a Y sound at the beginning), but uses the Hawaiian pronunciation for ukulele. So I follow his example.

Also, just for fun, you may wish to consider this:
the okina (`) is a consonant in the Hawaiian language, so `uku is a different word than uku.

`ukulele translates more or less as the "jumping flea" we are all familiar with.
ukulele translates as "gift from afar" and there are those who say that is also a possibility of the origin of the word.

Which one is actually correct? We may never know.

`ukulele translates more or less as the "jumping flea" we are all familiar with.
ukulele translates as "gift from afar" and there are those who say that is also a possibility of the origin of the word.

Which one is actually correct? We may never know.

Haha, lovely! I like the "gift from afar" idea... the Portuguese connection is often overlooked.

But we do know for sure, don't we? I mean, the history is so recent, we have contemporary writings showing the use of the okina. My understanding is the Kamaka family can trace a line back even before the term, to one of the first immigrants from Madeira who started the dominoes tumbling...

Last edited:
I say you kuh lay lee because I'm from Ohio and people look at me funny if I don't..

Perhaps, but at this point you are most likely holding an ukulele, so I'm afraid the battle to not look funny has already been lost.

Kidding! An uke is the coolest accessory on Earth! :cool:

I've answered this before, but - I live in Los Angeles, and even though I know how to pronounce it in Spanish, I pronounce it the Americanized way. My first name is French, but I pronounce it the Americanized way. And I play ukulele, but pronounce it the mainland way. Except when I'm in Hawaii, which sadly doesn't happen often enough :(

That being said - now that I think about it, my second language is Japanese and since I grew up speaking it, I pronounce Japanese words that have entered the English language the correct Japanese way because it feels unnatural and wrong to do otherwise. (It's not carry-okie!) So I guess as usual, I'm full of contradictions.

Mike, I got your point when you said those of who pronounce it differently from you sound "ridiculous." Now we're "pretentious" ?

Lighten up, my friend. It's really not a big deal how other people pronounce it, I promise.

Top Bottom