FOR SALE - Gibson Style 2 Soprano Mid 1930s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macbrayne

Reaction score
For sale is this beautiful condition Gibson and G&S Co. Hard case.
From my enquiries I believe the Gibson logo on the headstock is from the mid 1930's and the instrument is a style 2.
The case has the embossed Geib & Schaeffer Co. Masterkraft logo on the underside which helps date it to 1936 at the latest. By 1937 the company had been renamed Geib Inc.

I have no way of knowing if the case was the original one for this instrument. Both were found in an estate sale having been in storage for many many years. The ukulele is in super condition with no splits or cracks. It presents as having been rarely played. There is some light crazing of the top coat. It had unknown strings fitted and I have replaced them with a set of Living Waters strings.

I am selling because it is in such nice condition that I'd be afraid that I would never play it in case I spoiled it in some way. My other ukes get the odd knock or fall and it doesn't really bother me. This one is different.

Asking $900 Australian plus shipping from Australia to your place. Paypal Family & Friends. Will consider part exchange for a Martin C1K in excellent condition.
View attachment 102243View attachment 102244View attachment 102245View attachment 102246View attachment 102247

wow, the condition of that. That headstock script is really rare... and then the condition! good luck, you really shouldn't need it at that price.

EDW,
I had no success with the contacts. I have found dealers reluctant to provide info such as this.

The best response was to my previous post relating to identity. So it appears to be possibly from the 1940s and the case is earlier, being pre '37. Either way it is a rare beast.

Identity info previously offered......."It's made after 1940, when the soundhole decoration was changed from black-natural rope binding to white-black-white rings. The (wonderful!) 13rd fret also says loud that this on is made after the early 1940s. The body's probably also slightly shallower than earlier rope-bound ones.

White nuts and saddles, and body binding were usually reserved for uke-2 and uke-3.

Gibson was very sketchy about it's different styles, the uke-3 in fact toning down so much it became almost indistinguable from a uke-2 by 1938. But in fact, by 1940 Gibson dropped the uke-2 name, and called it uke-3 until around 1954. In spite of this, we usually call these instruments without fretboard binding and back binding (it has back binding) and with smaller fretboard dots uke-2s.

Headstock logos are VERY confusing when it comes to Gibson, in spite of what many websites claim. Yes, this is the 1930s white 'script' logo, but it was used for a very wide period of time, well into the 1940s.

If you look inside with a flash light, there might be a code stamped or written in pencil on the neck block, which might help dating it. It's not a serial number, but a Factory Order Number meant to trace production batch and cost (so numbers were assigned haphazardly and often reused) but it can give a good idea. Uke-1s usually don't have them, TU's almost always have them. (There is no FON visible).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom