Lone Star Uke Fest and UAS

Uke-lahoma

Reaction score
I'm at the Lone Star Ukulele Festival in Dallas, TX and having a great time. Being from the uke-starved state of Oklahoma, it's great to be around other uke players. Tomorrow is another full day of workshops, a luau, and an evening concert.

MGM is one of the vendors at the festival, and my UAS would have stayed in remission if he hadn't had so many nice looking ukes with him. He had a couple of the Pono ohai ukuleles, and I just couldn't resist! I purchased the concert Pono ohai uke. It's a very nice looking instrument and sounds great. (Solid wood, too!)

I now have two tenors (Kala KA-MT and Kanile'a K1) and a concert (the Pono ohai). So, I've decided to sell the Kala. (I've posted the Kala in the Ukulele Marketplace area of the forum, in case you're interested.)

Attached are some pics of the new uke. You might also want to check out the Pono site for more images of their ohai series. (They take much better pictures than I do.)

Attachments

• IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 23
Thanks for reporting!

I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to post from the fest.

Congrats!

GoatKid-2.jpg

Saturday was another great day at the festival. In a couple of hours, the luau begins, along with the evening concert. I'm already looking forward to next year's event!

One problem with multi-day festivals...they give one time to visit the vendors area again (and again and again). While strolling past MGMs table today, a fine little thing called out my name. So, I took back the Pono :( and traded up with MGM for a Honu Rope Series concert. :D:D Solid (very) curly koa body; ebony fingerboard; maple/mahogany roping and binding. An awesome sounding and looking uke! Many thanks to MGM for his willingness to let me trade up.

Attached are a couple of pictures that don't do it justice. Again, you might want to visit the manufacturer's link to see better pictures.

Attachments

• BigIslandFront.jpg
    BigIslandFront.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 32
  • BigIslandBack.jpg
    BigIslandBack.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Here is an image from the Lone Star Uke Fest of MGM and me, and another of MGM disguised as a curly mango tenor.

Attachments

• IMG_0154.jpg
    IMG_0154.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 41
The first Lone star fest was great. The attendance was excellent for the first time event and classes and workshops were great I Luckily got toi hear Gerald Ross workshops and he is a very good teacher as well as winning the all around Jam King award in my opinion as he constantly was doing Kanikapila with everyone around as well as accompanying almost every performer...I really enjoyed meeting all the people and hope next years???? will bring even more people in....

Thoses Mainland Ukes are beautiful, but I kinda dislike the shape of the headstock

If you're referring to the uke she is playing, I think it is a KoAloha Pineapple Sunday. Bob Guz also played one at the festival. They are a sweet looking and sounding instrument!

Last edited:
I was awfully close to making the drive down from Norman, OK to come to this. Got busy, bad time of the year, too many friends/family graduating this year.

I'll be there next year though!

I was awfully close to making the drive down from Norman, OK to come to this. Got busy, bad time of the year, too many friends/family graduating this year.

I'll be there next year though!

You're in Norman? I'm in Stillwater. It's good to hear from other Okie Ukies!

If you're referring to the uke she is playing, I think it is a KoAloha Pineapple Sunday. Bob Guz also played one at the festival. They are a sweet looking and sounding instrument!

Yea I was just eyeing up that custom spruce top pineapple sunday.....I swear! ;)

You're in Norman? I'm in Stillwater. It's good to hear from other Okie Ukies!

Yes sir. I think we've got a handful of folks in Norman playing the uke. I've got a couple of friends that fool around with it, there's another person that posts here attending OU and we've got a dude that gives uke lessons. I've never played uke with anybody I didn't know prior though, so it does feel landlocked at times.

A luthier at Norman Music has made ~50 ukes too but I've never played one of his.

Top Bottom