Suggestions needed--buying a Tenor, with specifications

mctot

Reaction score
Hi UU!

I am looking to purchase a Tenor Uke and I'd like your input!

Here's what I'm looking for:

It needs to have a:
  • pickup that is medium/high quality
  • setup for a strap
  • cost of less than 300 bucks

It would be nice if:
  • it were solid body
  • dark colored

It can be:

• new or used (not picky as long as it isn't beat to crap)

Thanks in advance for the advice!

I have a Luna High Tide Concert that I like a lot. Luna makes the High Tide in a tenor as well. The pickup is good.
Luna makes very nice ukes for not a whole lot of $$$$.
Flukes are also pretty good. A tenor with a pickup may run you more than $300. I don't live terribly far from their factory and store. One of these days I'm going to get there and maybe add another uke to my collection.
Jim Beloff's sister and her husband are the owners.

Last edited:
In that price range you'd be looking at Kala, Ohana, Baton Rouge, Mainland. I have (concert) Kala & Baton Rouge electro acoustics which sound OK to me. :)

Needing the pickup really limits things. If it fits your long-term budget and needs, maybe you could buy an all-solid now and have the pickup added later. Or buy a solid-top, and use the money saved from an all-solid towards the pickup. That also would let you be sure to get one with the "medium/high quality" you want, which isn't necessarily what you'd get with an included pickup. (I just got a new solid-top spruce Tiny Tenor for $259, and I think it's a great value, FWIW.)

I am really impressed with the Ohana TK70R. It is a laminate body, but solid spruce top.
The top is light colored though. The street price around 180. You can add a pickup for a 100 and you have a great uke and in your budget. The solid top gives this uke a great sound.

Top Bottom